WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Tucson, AZ

Hails from United States
It's great to see how different people set up for torching. I'm a little late to this thread, but if you'd like to see mine...I should tell you first that my husband works in wood, so built my desk with racks for glass, built a tall storage with "flat files" lined in foam for more glass and build the storage behind my chair with a pull up top for powders, etc. There is a book case under it. He's great!

I should add that these photos were a definate "photo op." It doesn't really look like this, much to his dismay.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast
Michigan

Hails from United States
Quote:
and some of you with these sparkly clean work areas...have you ever considered that all that time you spend tidying up could be better spent at the torch melting all those little pieces into something???

LOL Ingrid - well my neat work station has a few good reasons for being such

1) if I leave it really messy (and I do from time to time) I start cutting myself on glass shards and dropping rods that I bump with my elbow etc. I'm named 'gwacie' for a good reason...

2) lots of times late at night my eyes are too tired to keep torching but I'm not ready to part with my studio time so I use that time to dip my mandrels and clean my work area up. I'd rather keep working but it's dangerous when eyes are droopy and burning for sleep...

3) I made sure it was extra clean for the pic cuz my sister wants to add a studio shot to the website she's redoing for me....

so really, not all of us neatnicks are neat just out of our OCD tendencies....sometimes there are really good reasons I tell ya!

Jac, hope the pics are helping your decisions, I know I am enjoying seeing how we all work, how they are similar in many ways, and yet each work space shown is unique. Thanks for asking us to post!

bead site
glassart site
eBay...
doggies!
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2003, 06:44 PM
A Local Legend
The Carolinas

Hails from United States
Mine is very neat and clean for me!
I will not show you the rest with all the glass and supplies, it looks like an explosion went off. I like that in a studio. Too neat and I feel like I am in a Dentist's waiting room, ack, not conducive to creativity for me.

Paragon kiln~ the best!

Where my world begins and ends....LOL

Beth
"In the South, the breeze blows softer...neighbors are friendlier, nosier, and more talkative. (By contrast with the Yankee, the Southerner never uses one word when ten or twenty will do)...This is a different place. Our way of thinking is different, as are our ways of seeing, laughing, singing, eating, meeting and parting. Nothing about us is quite the same as in the country to the north and west. What we carry in our memories is different too, and that may explain everything else." --Charles Kuralt in "Southerners: Portrait of a People"
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2003, 07:33 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Longmont, Colorado

Hails from United States
Wow - I am going to have to think a bit on posting a picture of mine. Mine looks like Corina's in the book. I work on a table covered with cemet board and besides the rods and rod ends laying everywhere I have glass nubs everywhere! Why don't I see those on anyone else's tables? You know the nubs from where you clip the ends of rod off from twisties or the bits from the explosions (you do have explosions don't you) or the little pieces of silver foil that got away! Do the rest of you have some sort of bit eating animal that lives in your studio. I rarely clean the bits up because then I would need to move my extra mandrels and all of my tools and my jars with stuff in them and......
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Northeast Georgia

Hails from United States
Here's my corner!

Andie
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2003, 10:15 PM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States
i am sorry, and i don't like to have to keep doing this, but i feel that i must point out a major problem that i have seen in several setups. you should not have a BBQ size propane tank, or a large mapp gas tank inside. under no circumstance should you keep a large fuel tank, and its associated regulator inside. these tanks should be mounted outside, and a copper tube used to bring the regulated lower pressure gas inside to a gas manifold. gas can be vented by the regulator, and improper seats on tanks can lead to leaks. both propane and mapp gas are heavier than air, so any leaking gas will sink to the lowest level in your home or apartment building where it can build up to explosive levels. i really hate to keep nagging people about this but danm it, it is important.

Last edited by Mark Wilson : 03-06-2003 at 10:22 PM.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2003, 11:27 PM
A Local Legend
The Carolinas

Hails from United States
Hey Mark,
Thanks for the reminder!!
Mine is just a stunt tank, really!
LOL!
I know this is a serious issue and I am glad you brought it up!
All the best,
Beth
"In the South, the breeze blows softer...neighbors are friendlier, nosier, and more talkative. (By contrast with the Yankee, the Southerner never uses one word when ten or twenty will do)...This is a different place. Our way of thinking is different, as are our ways of seeing, laughing, singing, eating, meeting and parting. Nothing about us is quite the same as in the country to the north and west. What we carry in our memories is different too, and that may explain everything else." --Charles Kuralt in "Southerners: Portrait of a People"
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2003, 01:09 AM
Mississippi

Hails from United States
Oh, Goody! I'm late, I know - but I've had to work for other people today... didn't get to play with beads until tonight (wahn!)

Before I get caught up in the fun stuff, I thought I'd mention to you guys who have your computer in the same room with your kiln/annealer, ... I'm suggesting a monthly PC cleaning... NO KIDDING! The dust is getting sucked into your computers via the fan in the back, and you're heading for disaster!

Well, to the subject:

- Natasha... All that PURPLE... You Rock!

- Luann - I'm jealous! My husband did weld me a couple of things to help in taking pictures, though

- I've GOT to get a grid! Coolest idea so far!

- I've saved a few of your pictures to show my husband that the "fart fan" across from the window/door just ain't gonna cut it anymore!

I am proud of DH, though, because after six months he finally cut the PVC pipes I had bought. I just set them all up and sorted all my glass last Sunday, so this is a perfect excuse to show it!

I'm uptown now, y'all! I know it's still hard on the eyes, but it's a vast improvement over what I had, and I'm very grateful to have my own little "studio". Natasha, it's very similar in size to yours, but it was nightime when I took my pics, so I couldn't show y'all it or my cute pottery sign outside my door "Oh God of second chances and new beginnings, here I am again!"

Anyway, here's the wide shot:

And this is on the left side to show you my jam box! Gotta have THAT, you know... but the dirt/dust is really messing with the CD changer!

Great thread,

~Julie
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2003, 01:11 AM
Mississippi

Hails from United States
P.S. Did y'all notice Corina's book in a few of these photos!

I just wish I could take "Everything You Need to Know About Glass Beadmaking" out to my torch, but that paperback binding just doesn't stand up like hardback!
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2003, 01:17 AM
A Local Legend
The Carolinas

Hails from United States
I am intrigued with how similar we all are!
Beth
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Enthusiast
Central Florida

Hails from United States
You guys inspired me to clean up my studio.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Kissimmee Florida

Hails from United States
Ya Chris, you really should clean up your area. Also, log out when you are at someone elses computer. No telling what mischeif could come of it. tee hee hee
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2003, 08:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Beth Myers
Hey Mark,
Thanks for the reminder!!
Mine is just a stunt tank, really!
LOL!
I know this is a serious issue and I am glad you brought it up!
All the best,
Beth

yes this is a very serious issue. i am a safety nut, i'll admit it. people are all exposed to potential harm and accidents everywhere. so we should always try to head off any accidents we can. there is a vent hole in the propane regulator where propane can vent. also, the seals on the tank connectors can also leak. leaking gas can lead to poor air quality, fire, and explosion. natural gas is much more safe. methane is lighter than air, so it floats away. yes it can burn and explode also. but propane and mapp gas is heavier than air and will sink to the lowest point in your home, and stay there. it doesn't float away. it doesn't leave until finally it has built up to high levels and then----------.

beth, if you don't mind i would like to talk about your studio in particular. there appears to be an air conditioner directly above your tanks, so it would appear that this is an exterior wall. you could just move your tanks 2 feet to the outside of that wall, and drill a small hole through the wall to insert a copper pipe. use flared connectors and connect to your manifold. i set my manifold up for 2 torches.

makeing this change might not make a bit of difference, or it might make a big difference. the trouble is that we don't know which way it will be for sure, so you err on the side of safety.

beth, my comments were not directed at you directly, and i did not mean to pick on your studio. i saw this tank issue in many of the studios displayed in this thread.
Attached Images

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2003, 12:12 PM
A Local Legend
The Carolinas

Hails from United States
Mark,
Have no fear of me taking offense. On the contrary, I am delighted that you took the time and trouble to offer help and information that I will definitely benefit from!
There are not many people in this world that conscientious and your efforts are greatly appreciated!
As always, your post are fun, factual, informative and on target, and I try never to miss one.
Thanks!!
Beth
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2003, 12:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States
Mark, I was about to bring up the "propane tank must be OUTSIDE" point, but you got there first. An alternative to drilling through the wall is sticking the hose out the window -- see Val's lovely studio for an example.

I'll post a pic of my "torcher chamber" when I get a chance -- warning -- I work in a pit, and my non-existent sense of tidiness hasn't done anything for the ambience.

(If cleanliness is next to Godliness, I'm on a rocket ship to Hell . . .)

Emily

To those who question the real value of the Web: Sea slugs. Now, please fall into a respectful silence, and don't speak again until you understand why you were wrong.
-- James Norton (in Flak Magazine's review of the Sea Slug Forum)