WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art > International Society of Scratchboard Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: ISSA Bylaws Draft

Rod, that shouldn't be a problem since we are looking to get one or two totally independent judges to vote the first three masters in, and then those three will do the rest of the judging. Those three will be peers anyway and they will definitely not have been voted in by themselves.
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

Oh Harold, you dear friend. You could never offend me so no need to appologize. Our disagreement is one of semantics. I take it you would feel better if we changed the name from Master to something else.
You are one of the best scratchers I know. And I am not saying this to politely bolster your ego. I mean it. And never stop speaking your mind!!!

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

Hmm... I'm sure there's a solution to be found.

I completely understand Harold's thought on this issue. It can be frustrating to think that you can never attain to the level of Master if you just don't have the time and money to put into it. I, myself, have a very limited budget - almost all my art supplies are bought with gift money. I can't justify spending all kinds of money to get my art into galleries when I have little bellies to keep full.

I don't have any objections to the way Masters are defined. I do think that "Signature" sounds a little wimpy and lacking in some of the respect that it ought to carry. Perhaps "Expert" would more accurately reflect the level of artistic precision.

That being said, I do think it is worthy and right of us to give extra honor to those who have promoted scratchboard as a fine art in the art scene, given that in some sense we are riding on their coat tails and in that it is the purpose of the society to promote scratchboard as fine art. We are not diminished in giving them this honor but we are enhanced.

Emily Harju Illustration & Design
"Engraving is, in brief terms, the Art of Scratch" - John Ruskin
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

Ha! Signature sounds like a credit card offer. Maybe that's why I'm not too keen on it!!

#95   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 11:07 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

There's a classy boat builder over here that has a "Signature" series which they believe is elite. I guess I've seen 'signature' in many societies and it immediately makes me think of a higher level so for me, it seems a good name.
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Diana, thank you, I am so happy I didn't make you angry and hopefully no one else either as that was far from my intent. I hope that this is my last comment on this because I really didn't want to create a conflict or add difficulty to the progress that has been made. Patrick, I wanted to answer your question but it was 1:00 a.m. when I shut off the computer last night, too late for this old man. I want to make it very clear that I don't have a problem with anything that has transpired with the ISSA to this point. I think everyone should be commended for their hard work and willingness to help make the society a legitimate honorable organization. However the first Master level members are chosen is fine with me. I honestly feel that anyone selected for that level very justly deserves it. They will truly be masters of the medium. My fear is that some very deserving individuals will never be accepted as Masters of the medium regardless of how good their work is simply because they lack the resources or are inhibited personally in promoting themselves or their art. There are many ways to promote our medium, demos, classes,word of mouth, etc. not just high profile competitions. Ampersand makes the best work surface for our creations, in my humble opinion and without it I most likely would not be here writing this. It is, however, not cheap and if you choose to show your work anywhere very far away you must add the cost of framing your work, packaging and shipping costs, insuring your work and any entry fees required, etc. on top of the cost of the board you use. Some, including myself, do not have the extra funds to be able to promote ourselves even if we wanted. I feel that the master level as it stands both discourages and penalizes some individuals for things out of their control and since the master level is the only level that is considered competent to jury membership and exhibitions then a signature member skills are not considered adequate even though they might be the best scratcher in the world but aren't masters simply because they don't promote themselves. So, I guess I do have a problem with the word master for that level. With those requirements of noteriety, as it stands, should may be called something else more appropriate than simply Master level. IMHO

Last edited by Garbonzo : 03-24-2011 at 12:41 PM.
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States

Aww, Patrick...! Are you going to make me rethink my perception of "signature"?

Harold, what title would you suggest other than Master?

#98   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 12:43 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

I wish I were more eloquent. It's always easier to pull a tiger's tail than to get away afterwards.
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Hails from United States

Hmmmm........looks like I was more exhausted than I thought, when I made my last post. Sorry about that.

I truly do appreciate all of the time and effort that has been put into starting ISSA and I have no doubt that it will do very well under the guidance of the board.

Mark
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
Central PA

Hails from United States

Are those 3 requirements for Master category a standard used in other art genres? If so, you may want to keep them so there is some close standards to other art organizations. Maybe the intent is to only have a few at the very top, hence the stricter guidelines....If not, maybe they can be made less stringent on the requirements.
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Levels are funny sometimes. For example, in the SAA, Cathy applied to become a member and was granted Signature status immediately. I know she was surprised (though we ALL know the reason she got in so high - her work is freakin' magnificent!!). However, I note that there are many amazing artists who only got Associate status, none more weird than Guy Combes who I consider as fine an artist as there could be. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Plus, in there I think Signature members end up having to pay more per year (and it's not cheap at all - that's why I haven't applied though I'd love to be in SAA)
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 06:43 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

There's an awful lot to discuss on the board to get things going. We are going to be having our first official meeting very soon, beaming around the world since we are truly international, and will be discussing many matters so we'll take all this into account, and checking we are doing many similar things to other societies but also being distinguishable as ourselves, since scratchboard is such a unique medium. As such, I'm closing this thread so we can move on to the next stage. Thanks very much for the input and for speaking your mind in such a friendly way. There will always be some disagreements in forming something so huge and we on the board will need to be able to understand that these happen. Disagreements are good because they make certain we cover all bases.

If people have questions about anything, please feel free to ask in the questions thread that is still open