WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art > International Society of Scratchboard Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2011, 02:35 PM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States
Re: ISSA Bylaws Draft

Thanks Ken!

I know it's early in the process, but when we have something official to announce, I'll be glad to send info to GNSI (Guild of Natural Science Illustrators). There are quite a few scratchers in GNSI and I think they'd be interested in becoming members of ISSA.

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Ok, I started this whole process but have been missing in action for a lot of it since, due to my lobster season in full swing - so huge props to those who made it get to this stage We not only have great scratchers, but we have great givers here too.

I second Ken as interim treasurer

I also would put money in for seed. Do we have any idea how much we think dues will be or is that a Texas discussion?

I think artists statements with images would be good as part of the application process and am willing to help some people write theirs.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 12:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Right on Ken for stepping up to the plate. Volunteers are wonderful to have but sometimes very hard to find.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 AM
La Grange, TX

Hails from United States

Wow, you folks are to be commended. Very thorough job and I agree with not putting specific dues info in the bylaws. Having served on boards, sometimes rules and bylaws hamstring you for incidentals. Hopefully we will also get a website and not have to continually go through "wet canvas". Some of us do not check the site on a daily basis and I'm afraid might miss something. Again, great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 04:33 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Absolutely Sally, there will be a dedicated website.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Breckenridge, TX

Hails from United States

I opened a PayPal account today for ISSA. We just need a website to put it on.
Ken
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

In case you haven't noticed, we now have a dedicated sub-forum for ISSA right at the top of this forum. Let's start using that to discuss anything pertaining to ISSA...and folks please read the guidelines for posting in the sub-forum. Thanks a bunch!

Lorna Hannett.com
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
Long Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Wow looks great. I'd be willing to kick in money for this year.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I'm full of admiration for you guys. Scratchboard is lucky to have such great moderators and guide.

I wish you the very best in your endeavours.

Doug
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 11:55 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Thanks Doug and thanks for the forum
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 02:43 AM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Thanks, Doug

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Springfield, Il USA

Man, I'm always late to the game. In regards to a post Cathy made a little earlier in this thread:
Quote:
Well they benefits of being a member to a society can be numerous (and these are just off the top of my head)

1) shows/workshops that are exclusively available to members (while some may be physical shows, other shows may be online, which enables sales from there)
2) regional chapters may eventually form, and undoubtedly one of them would be in Australia. We have included a section in the by-laws for regional shows too.
3) eventually an at least quarterly e-newsletter, which will include valuable resources, articles and hopefully eventually coupons for products that might benefit you
4) online promotion - if you are a member you will be listed on the web site as such so when people search for your name or scratchboard and the society page comes up they can find you from that
5) access to brochures and literature about scratchboard which can be handed out at any shows, art fairs, etc. that you attend to help promote and educate others about the medium
6) Building the art resume if you ever want to try and get into galleries or certain other organizations
7) In some collectors eyes being a member of a society at a high level (such as Master) makes your work more valuable, as not only do they like your work, but you are regarded as one of the best within your field by others as well.
8) simply helping to promote something you believe in too!!

I have a number 9 to add to the list!!

9) We could pool our resources and purchase advertising in industry magazines to promote our work/exhibitions that we otherwise could not afford individually

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Hails from United States

I try not to comment on things of this nature, and maybe I should not say anything now either. “Members must have distinguished themselves and the quality of their work through any or all of the following: national and/or International exhibition history/awards, (or other equally recognized shows or competitions), gallery representation, or may have been published, etc.” Perhaps I do not understand the intention here. Most of the world has internet access now days and an artist can easily be a member of a society or a member of an art community, where they can show their work and improve upon their individual art skills. Yet, this same artist may not have the same access to being published or access to national or international exhibitions or even gallery representation, as other artist, due to geographical restraints. There are also many reasons that some artist may have not participated in such events or have not been published, perhaps timing is an issue, lack of time or even financial difficulties can be a problem for some, etc. Scratch art comes in many different forms and styles, many that we probably have not seen yet and just because an artist cannot distinguish themselves and the quality of their work by national or international shows, gallery representation, or having been published, does not make them any less of a master.

Mark
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Enthusiast
British Columbia, Canada

Hails from Canada

I really agree with you on this Mark. And very well said.

Wendy

www.scratchinimagesstudio.weebly.com
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Mark, I appreciate where you're coming from. Here's my personal take on it. Others may want to weigh in on it.

What distinguishes a Master from a Signature member is their dedication to their art and the promotion of it. In the case of ISSA, we want to promote Scratchboard as a fine art medium...that's our mandate. Everytime someone is published or distinguishes themselves winning awards, they are letting the world know that scratchboard is here and worthy of notice.

You said it yourself..."Most of the world has internet access now days and an artist can easily be a member of a society or a member of an art community, where they can show their work and improve upon their individual art skills."

I will just speak for myself here....I have lived rural for all of my art career but I haven't let it stop me from advancing myself or promoting my work. I have entered shows all over for years...it takes a lot of work, time and money to do... I was confident that I had something to offer the art world. I didn't win something every time I entered but I couldn't let that stop me. I kept at it and it started to pay off. Along the way my work got noticed, I had work in galleries, I got published in magazines...they found me, not the other way around. I worked my way from the bottom, through the ranks of an organization I am so proud to be a part of...making SFCA (equivalent of MSA) in the Federation of Canadian Artists was one of the proudest days of my life. I did it entirely with my scratchboard work...and it's now recognized by the FCA as fine art because of it. I felt my hard work and dedication had paid off.

That's what a person with MSA after their name should have been through...it's an achievement to strive for. That's what will give scratchboard legitimacy in the world of FINE Art.

Lorna Hannett.com

Last edited by lorna12 : 03-23-2011 at 09:06 PM.