WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art > International Society of Scratchboard Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2011, 05:46 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: ISSA Bylaws Draft

Thanks for catching that mistake Terri. We stole bits and pieces from lots of different art society by-laws to come up with these (as well as creating parts that are all our own), plus lots of hours for all the people involved discussing and editing. But don't hesitate to point out anything that reads oddly or you don't agree with. Much easier to discuss and change it NOW than after we are fully formed.

As others have said we did not include a dollar amount for dues, so that they could be changed from year to year without having to revise the by-laws.

I am in two art societies where they have differing opinions regarding levels. Society of Animal Artists you submit a set number of images and they choose if you are signature or associate based on the quality of that work alone.

Women Artists of the West starts everyone as an associate and you can gain signature various ways, but everyone starts at the bottom.

Of course in our case we will need some people to 'start at the top' as Master members, as they will have to jury both the show and membership from the get go.

I would propose a panel of three unbiased judges (who are familiar with scratchboard, but it may not be their primary medium and they may not even become ISSA members) for our very initial jurying process to get us that first group of Master members to jump in from there and do further jurying process from then on, rather than just assuming that certain people are automatically Master level. While it may seem silly when we can point fingers and say who you think is or is not a Master by our criterion, but also would prevent anyone later on saying that someone got status because they helped start the society. I know of at least one, and probably two people who I think would be willing to jury for us, and Rod knows someone too.

Also the society is going to need some start up money. I personally would be willing to pay dues for 2011, even if we don't officially launch until 2012. This would give us money for starting up a web site, a bit of promotion, etc. I guess I could sort of see 2011 as a 'soft launch' where we still need to figure out officers and get things sort of rolling along and then a formal hard campaign to get members, have a show, etc. in 2012 with ampersand's backing. If some others were also willing to pay dues for 2011 I think it would be helpful (but then we also need a treasurer to keep track of the money and open an ISSA account) to get us up and going.

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States

Lorna and Cathy, thanks for the explanations!

Please keep us updated as this rolls along.

Emily Harju Illustration & Design
"Engraving is, in brief terms, the Art of Scratch" - John Ruskin
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Count me in for dues and for jurying by an impartial panel to start things off. Guess we better decide on how much the dues will be or shall we just make a donation to start with? Since a majority of the members will be from the US I think the bank account should stay in the US... The treasurer will have to be someone we all know and trust.

I am of the opinion that someone should NOT have to jury to become an Associate member, they can just join at that level because they want to be part of the group to learn but they cannot take part in exhibitions. But once someone feels confident enough to want to take part in shows then they apply/submit work for Active (at least). I would count that as the bottom status for jurying purposes whether we do it the way the SSA does and let the jury decide an artist's status or the WAW way.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Springfield, Il USA

This looks fantastic! Thank you for putting such an appreciated effort into it. You guys rock!

Suggestion about the dues - I agree that there shouldn't be a stated amount in the bylaws but what about a bylaw regarding the changing of dues? For instance there could be a bylaw that states that the annual fee cannot be raised more than 10% per year.

I've been in a group where they raised the annual fee 100% from one year to the next and there was a large upset because of it but they could do that since there was no rule in place.

Just a thought.

Will the ISSA be a topic discussed at the next get together in Texas?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Island off west coast of Canada

Hails from Canada

Thank you all for putting these bylaws together, what a tremendous amount of work. Maybe by the time you get the ISSA up and running, I might be able to be good enough to be in lower category. Gail
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Well I better get busy and start cranking out some quality boards if I'm going to have to submit 7. Thanks for clearing up my questions. The only society I'm a member of is the local artists guild and it seems like anyone can join so I really have very little knowledge as to how it all works. I wasn't inferring that the dues amount should be in the bylaws, I was just curious if an amount had been decided on.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
Central PA

Hails from United States

Terrific job on the by-laws. I sure can not think of anything not covered that would be of importance. Something for future thought - will membership cards be given upon receipt of dues? I am also willing to pay 2011 dues to get things started. Can't wait.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Waldport, Oregon

Hails from United States

I'm impressed. But, I also don't see any work here on WC that wouldn't qualify for my version of Master. Could we donate a piece if we can't afford to pay dues?
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Karen, you don't have to worry about it this year if you can't afford it...Start saving for next year when it's officially up and running.

I don't think I'd be out of line if I say we want to keep the dues down to an affordable level for everyone when we do officially start up. For right now, as Cathy said, we'll need some seed money.

Lorna Hannett.com
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrawillard
This looks fantastic! Thank you for putting such an appreciated effort into it. You guys rock!

Suggestion about the dues - I agree that there shouldn't be a stated amount in the bylaws but what about a bylaw regarding the changing of dues? For instance there could be a bylaw that states that the annual fee cannot be raised more than 10% per year.

I've been in a group where they raised the annual fee 100% from one year to the next and there was a large upset because of it but they could do that since there was no rule in place.

Just a thought.

Will the ISSA be a topic discussed at the next get together in Texas?

Sandra I think the 10% rule sounds like a good idea.

I am sure we will have a meeting in TX about the society. Maybe we can figure out a way to video chat so that people not attending could join in on the meeting? That would be good since most of the people that were at the meeting in 2010 sounds like will not be in TX

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

I could have sworn I posted a reply to Sandra, too...don't see it though.

I can definitely see why you asked that Sandra...100% sounds ridiculous! How about if we put in a clause that states that any major change regarding the dues of ISSA must pass a vote of 2/3 of the members? I don't like to see a definite amount (ie. 10%) put in because it might turn out that more is required than what was thought (even if it's only 12 or 15%)...then amendments to the bylaws will be needed.

Boy I'm going to hate missing that discussion (in Texas)...I'll have to see what I can figure out for video conferencing. bummer.

Lorna Hannett.com

Last edited by lorna12 : 03-10-2011 at 12:57 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2011, 02:03 AM
Enthusiast
British Columbia, Canada

Hails from Canada

Wow to think of the time you guys spent on this, many thanks for the hard work. I think it reads very well, I would be willing to put up dues for this year, we have to start off with something to get going.

Wendy

www.scratchinimagesstudio.weebly.com
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I like the by-law idea on controlled raising of dues. I also like the impartial jury to get us started. And I'm another that is happy to contribute this year.

This is such a wonderful beginning...

Diane
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I would also be willing to donate this year. I've pretty much decided that any profit that I make on commisions goes to me only so I can use it for anything I want without having to dip into the marital pot. So hopefully any art money will go towards art related things.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast
Somewhere on Lake Simcoe

Hails from Canada

Count me in as well for paying 2011 dues if it will help to get things started.