WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2010, 05:05 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Scratchboard hall of fame 2010

I know it's not quite the end of 2010 but I'm consigning our 2009 Hall of Fame to the bowels of WetCanvas and posting this as a sticky thread for the whole of next year.

Pick your favourite piece of 2010 and show it to us, giving a few reasons why you think it's your best piece of the year. (Obviously you can start now or when the year is over)

Let's keep the thread to our image postings only, this time, so no commenting on each other's work and the thread won't get too unwieldy.

I'll start. I won't have much more work for this year so I can safely post my favourite piece now.

This piece went to Lorna Hannett as a swap.

Firstly I like it because it's a great memory. This kid followed me at a discreet distance in a poor township in Cape Town, South Africa. Everytime I approached him he backed away, but he kept following me. He was about 8-10 years old and looked so cool.

Secondly, I used a style on the skin called 'feathering' which Lorna is a master of and I think I got it quite well.

Thirdly, there are a lot of textures in here and I feel I handled them reasonably successfully. I had to work out what styles and tools to use to capture some of them.

Lastly, he looked cool in real life and I think I caught that here.

So, once you are comfortable posting your best for the year, over to you!!

Last edited by PatrickHedges : 12-11-2010 at 05:08 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: Scratchboard hall of fame 2010

I really treasure him, Patrick.

I looked back through the ones I did this year, trying to decide. This one stood out for me, I guess because it was a good challenge...at 3'X2' its the first big board I totally covered and because I colored it which is something I don't often do to my boards. I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I finished it and wondered to myself, "what could I do to top this one?" It won 2 awards including a People's Choice (and I'm still wondering what I could do to top it...though I think I might found something...stay tuned )

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

Cock Of The Walk 48"x36" this was my best of the year.....and we had a bunch of fun with it as a dirty April fools trick... mastermind = iPhone Mary...anyway..might be fun to go check it out. This was the 5th Mech-Rooster.. ( on clayboard...there were plenty of pencil drawings for this one)...my best this year because... I put a bunch of thought and energy into getting to the big one..playing with the design and look until I tackled the big board. It went really smooth ...I guess I was comfortable with the image by# 5. I hope people find the design to be fun,creative,and a cool angle to show how I would handle the idea of MECHing out a rooster.. & I think I did a fairly clean job of scratching him.
Attached Images

Last edited by PatrickHedges : 12-14-2010 at 05:21 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2010, 06:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Quebec, Canada

Hails from Canada

I guess "Stargazer" was my favorite. I had fun at the zoo taking photo's and then putting the ones I liked best into positions that I liked and then did my piece. I don't know if anyone else liked it, but I did

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

"Fatal Jump" was the best thing I did this year. With the excellent guidance of my fellow scratchers I think I nailed this one and I'm very proud of it. It's also the biggest one I've done at 11x14. My reference photo was so good that it made it easy. I hope to use more of Gary Alt's photography this winter to hopefully produce some decent scratchboards.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

For my contribution to this thread I chose "First Day At The Barre". I worked very hard on this piece, 300 hours. And it is one of my bigger boards, 18x24. It has been pretty popular every time I have shown it.

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 AM
Adelaide South Australia

Hails from Australia

There was no competition for my favourite! the challenge now is to better it......HHmmmmmmm
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

Great work my friends. It is a bit of a tough choice for me, but I think I am going to go with "Walking The Line" which is 36"x24"... funny how many people it is the big pieces that they picked for their best

Anyways... idea to completion was 100% mine on this piece. I took the original reference photo, but then had to gather additional references to create the environment. It is my largest colored work to date and also my most time consuming work so far. I started it in Januray and finally finished it in June. Also it has won two people's choice awards in 2010.

This photo doens't do it justice but I never got it scanned...

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!

Last edited by Crias : 12-14-2010 at 12:24 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2010, 05:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

I know we are not allowing comments in this thread but I just want to let people know I've edited Rodman's post to include the "dirty April fools trick" orchestrated by iPhone Mary, not that it's too far from the truth anyway considering the actual size of his cock (get your mind out of the gutter)

so if you haven't seen it, have a look at his Cock of the Rock post above again and click the link.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 AM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

I really had a hard time with this. It's hard for me to pick a best board for the year. I had a couple of waterfall pictures that were a little different for me and I thought had some good points, especially my demo one for Indy. I liked my Barred Owl and my Blacktail buck on white board, but I think this is probably the one that worked the best overall. The light, the color and the subject kind of came together on it, in my humble opinion.
Name:  GROUND SQUIRREL.jpg
Views: 2108
Size:  477.1 KB
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Australia

I had a really hard time choosing which board I thought was my best and decided on this one "Memories" due to the sentimental value of the flowers which were grown from a plant my son gave to me for Mother's Day, the Bible which belonged to my Dad, and the antique pocket watch which belonged to my Great Grandfather. I was also happy with the leather look I achieved for the Bible and the chain for the watch, BTW the watch was made in London, UK in 1889. A close second was "Garden Beauty".

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Sherman Oaks, CA

Hails from United States

This is still my favorite piece, although I have two others that are close runners up. This one holds a special place in my heart both because it is Buddy, my beloved hybrid who passed away on December 16, 2008, and also because it is one of my most life-like boards.

"Cautious Observation"
11x14

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
Allegany NY

Hails from United States

I'm going with a small one here (8x10). I did this way back in February, but I always enjoyed the lighting. Also I think the buck looks exceptionally lifelike.

-Susan

Art by Susan
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Lord of the Arts
PUNE, India

Hails from India

Selecting the subject category proved rather tricky. Ultimately I decided on Portraits. I enjoy doing Portraits. I selected CARY GRANT from among those I posted in 2010 .I was planning to do portraits of some celebrities and I did few
of them which I posted in this forum.
Another reason for selecting this is : the image I posted on 8th Aug. 2010 is still cannot be viewed in the thread.Only few have seen it .
Venkat
Attached Images

Last edited by VENKAT : 12-22-2010 at 08:03 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast
St Kitts (Caribbean)

Hails from St Kitts and Nevis

I was a little surprised when I looked at my completed works for 2010 to see that they are almost all coloured, and most of them are whiteboards (all the black scratchboards are still in the extensive 'WIP' file). I think I'll post 'Storm on the Horizon'. It marks my start of breaking away from traditional crops and slight movement toward my goals with cat and dog art. Also I was more bold than usual with the colour and it worked (things working is always nice!).

~ Boots ~