WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2009, 03:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: ESP - Portrait & Figure Fundamentals - Lesson 6: The Figure, Part 2

Sandra, it is wonderful to watch your development and progress! Bottichelli painted in a linear style, that is, he let the lines tell the forms of the figures rather than shading. So beautiful. Is that guy hunting the girl one of the four Winds?

Ginger, Mario, both of you have painted gorgeous 'Degas'!

Don, I have a confession to make. I *have* started on the girl perched on a pillar (finally!), but I'm painting it big. I tried the 'skeleton' and filling it out, but lost my way a bit (less than feared, but more than it should have been), as it was too big (27x20"). So, (this is the confession) as I'm pressed for time, I decided to grid her. Outlines are now on a full sheet of sandpaper! Laying down the underpainting happens tomorrow. (I have to get her out of my system, she'll make a great DanaŽ -- she's gotten a 'face-job' to look more Greek.)

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog

Last edited by Colorix : 10-05-2009 at 03:45 PM.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Charlie,

Grids are OK! I really don't care what measurement techniques are used, I only offer some alternatives! 20" x 27" - A perfect size! I look forward to seeing the painting!!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Thank you, Charlie, for your comment and encouragement. Don has been a good teacher here and very patient too. My progress is attributed to his guidance.

This painting has been interpreted in many different ways at different eras. One of the interpretations said that the character is supposedly Zephyr pursuing Flora who, once possessed, becomes the hour of Spring and scatters flowers on the world. Some thinks that it is just a ball where a certain character dressed up as Flora and Venus.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Sandra, Don is a great teacher, but it takes a good student too!

Here's today's horror show... Just started, the figure is just blocked in, and I've worked a bit on the bg. I like to get the bg out of the way early on. See her face-job? I nicked features from a Greek statue (not Venus Milo), giving her a classic profile and hair-do. DanaŽ was an earthly princess who caught Zeus eye (although she was locked into a subterranean chamber), and Zeus managed to get into the chamber as golden rain. A result of that 'wash' was Perseus. (Pardon, I do not know the Am Engl names for these myth characters.)

This is at the point when one *really* wants someone to walk up to one's easel and comment...

Black clamps visible. It is so large I had to take the glass from the frame and pad it, and put the paper on top. (No large enough piece of foam-core at home.) A bit heavy, but it works.

Any crit before I continue? I'd love to get stuff right and not have to redo when I'm further into the process. Should I apply plastic surgery on her... chest? I mean, would she look younger, or is this more tasteful?

As this is so big, I'm using "Los Cheapos" brand pastels for the first layers, as the paper, Fisher 400, *eats* sticks.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog

Last edited by Colorix : 10-06-2009 at 01:24 PM.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2009, 03:44 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Hi Charlie,

This is looking good so far! I analyzed the proportions very carefully and they look good. She is looking quite classical and I can really see nothing that needs adjusting as you head for stage 2!

It's quite interesting to me how different people react to different sizes of working. When I signed up for my first figure drawing class in college, our material list included 18" x 24" newsprint pads, which we all brought to class. From that moment on (apparently), my mindset for figurative pastels is large size paper. Consequently, I used big sheets for all my other pastel work, too! I am still amazed at how successful most artists are - and how much detail they can get - working smaller! I guess there are challenges working large, but I don't know what they are!

Again, this is looking good so far and I can't wait for the next update!!

Don

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Enthusiast
Outside of Darwin Northern Territory

Hails from Australia

Hello all,
I finally got a chance to join in on this, I decided to have a go at the girl on the pedestal too. Can't wait to see how yours comes out Charlie.
This is half a sheet of colourfix paper, I drew her using the stick figure and only had to adjust the angle of her leg after. I haven't done much on her face or hands yet and the colour in the photo is a bit off as usual. Still playing with the background any comments welcome, I haven't done a figure before.
Deanna.

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast
halifax,canada

Hails from Canada

charlie!!! i love how you use color!!! as i am a beginner i don't think i can offer any proportion advice!!! i do love the classical face and hair which i think is cool as she is sitting on a column.

dea!!! love these flesh tones! i really love the background with your figure! great detail work on the pedestal.

this is why i love art. 2 people looking at the same reference and such different takes!! both excellent!
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Deanna, what a beaut! So nice and soft and warmy-fuzzy. Beautiful pillar.

Yes, isn't it fun and interesting to see all different takes? You learn so much from the others, too. "Oh, he did that, it looks great, now how did he do it?"

I've struggled on, today. Flesh colour isn't easy, not to me. It figures, I guess I need to do about 50 figures in order to figure it out. (bad puns intended)

Gah, the Image uploader is broken, I'll try attachments.

Lousy pics, just shot (in different lights) and cropped then posted.

Halfway done, I think, so there will be many more layers of colour.

If you see anything glaringly off in shape, tell me. Colours look off, are off, so don't bother with them.

Charlie
Attached Images

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Wow, Charlie, at this stage, there is so much tension already in the upper arm and the extended leg. Very nice. Love these colors too.

Deanna, very neat colors you used. Very peaceful and she does have the classic look too.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:29 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Deanna, This is looking great! Hard to believe you haven't done a figure before. One would think you have loads of figure painting experience!

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea
Hello all,
I finally got a chance to join in on this, I decided to have a go at the girl on the pedestal too. Can't wait to see how yours comes out Charlie.
This is half a sheet of colourfix paper, I drew her using the stick figure and only had to adjust the angle of her leg after. I haven't done much on her face or hands yet and the colour in the photo is a bit off as usual. Still playing with the background any comments welcome, I haven't done a figure before.
Deanna.

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Hi Charlie, This is definitely looking good so far! Flesh color isn't easy, in fact (shhh, don't tell anyone) I've never tried to replicate realistic flesh tones. Actually, let me phrase that another way - I've never successfully replicated realistic flesh tones. I don't even bother trying anymore. I use what would probably be classified as "idealized flesh tones". In fact, in a recent thread asking for flesh tone advice in Girault pastels, I noticed that my personal 11 color flesh tone set included only 5 colors that were actually in the Girault 50 color pastel set.

Everything I see looks good. The only teensy-tiny comment I have is to watch out that you don't make each of the hair highlight shapes the same. The 3 or 4 rectangular "light" shapes catch my eye a bit at the moment.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorix
Deanna, what a beaut! So nice and soft and warmy-fuzzy. Beautiful pillar.

Yes, isn't it fun and interesting to see all different takes? You learn so much from the others, too. "Oh, he did that, it looks great, now how did he do it?"

I've struggled on, today. Flesh colour isn't easy, not to me. It figures, I guess I need to do about 50 figures in order to figure it out. (bad puns intended)

Gah, the Image uploader is broken, I'll try attachments.

Lousy pics, just shot (in different lights) and cropped then posted.

Halfway done, I think, so there will be many more layers of colour.

If you see anything glaringly off in shape, tell me. Colours look off, are off, so don't bother with them.

Charlie

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Sandra, thank you!

Don, (I will not tell anyone). There is so much flesh-colour here! Yeah, average person has about 2 square meters of skin. I much prefer more pigmented skin, it is way more interesting. Ah, the hair shapes, they're supposed to become sort of a twisted braid, maybe... I may take out the hair and redo, I'm not happy with the underpainting for it. Degas often used one colour as a flat mass, and then worked shadows and highlights into it. Might be the way to go. Might even do a pencil study for the head, to try to solve some problems.

I'm at that stage where I seriously doubt the merit of the idea with the cloud and golden rain, that is, making the figure into DanaŽ. Oh, well, if kitsch it is destined to be, and not a nod to the neo-classic period, then so be it.

I'll sleep on it. Er, not literally, though. :-)

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast
halifax,canada

Hails from Canada

charlie wow!! if i could put color together like that i would never use a fleshtone! it is really beautiful and bold!

don i think you are a great teacher.

dea, never having done a figure and this incredible outcome using the stick man is a testament to the effort put in by both artist and teacher!
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Enthusiast
Outside of Darwin Northern Territory

Hails from Australia

Thanks Ginger and Don, when I was young and didn't know better I used to draw things like this from imagination, some came out okay some didn't
Charlie I like where you are going with your version, cloud golden rain and all.
Judging from your paintings you must be a bright and colourful woman... especially if you fall asleep on one of them!

Deanna

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Dea, Ginger, thank you!

Dea, we're much braver as young... LOL!

OK, this is taking loooooong to paint. Today I worked on making the body smoother, and worked a bit on the face too. Arms, hands, legs, feet, and shoulders are still almost untouched from yesterday.

I have not colour corrected much, and pic is shot at night, so torso looks 'blotchy', but it is really smoother. Only thing that looks great is the blue of the sky, for once you can actually see the different strokes and colours I've weaved into it. Still work to do on cloud and rain.

I've only used chromatic colours, except for an earty red down in stage one, all covered by now. Here's a closeup of hip-area, if you'd like to see strokes (it is not this orange, night-time pic):

When I done (about next year or so.... ) I'll take a daytime photo and fuss endlessly in PSE.

C&C, please. And Don, where's that handy link to how to do hair?

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog