WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions > PROJECT: Product Reviews
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2002, 08:57 AM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by TeAnne
In Australia we have Swan Stabilo CarbOthello soft pastel pencils. I dont have all the colours but some that I have are rated with a star. (eg
Pale Blue # 1400/435 has *****
Crimson Red # 1400/330 has **
Sky Blue # 1400/450 has *** etc.

Will this be any good Scott? I can make up a list of what I have.

AND I just found this on the website.

Pastel chalks of a different kind

Pastel colors are beautifully refreshing and expressive. With CarbOthello, the technique is easier and cleaner. Convince yourself.

Practical: Pastel crayon in pencil form
Dry & Dusty: The stroke, like charcoal or chalk
Brilliant: High brilliance and covering power, even on dark backgrounds
Effective: Ideal for dry mixing and blending
Interesting: Can be painted with water
Powerful: High light-fastness and color brilliance
Advisable: Treating with a fixative
Clear: Asterisks (max. 5) denote the light-fastness on each pencil
Strong: Lead diameter of 4,2 mm
Available: in 60 colors

http://www.stabilo.co.uk/home.htm

I've prolly put this in the wrong spot. I just don't know what to do, sorry
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2002, 09:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
Depends on the Day!

Hails from United States
Something that comes into play after youve purchased and used the pastels. Is the option of Ordering, whether or not they are offered in open stock. I know that with portraits I run the mill quickly on certian colors.
Just a thought
I have a question though....Is this already set up, I cant seem to find the thread if it is! I may totally off kilter or is this still in the works?
Thanks
Redsy
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2002, 09:14 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Currently, the pastel items are viewable, but not yet ratable. Just need to wrap up these rating questions.

Things like "open stock" are not ratable on a scale of 1 to 5. That is more of an "attribute" of a product - sort of a yes/no thing.

Will try to work this in.

Cheers.
Scott
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2002, 07:10 PM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States
Open Stock

I agree that whether or not the color range is available in open stock or not is very important. I do a lot of landscapes, relatively large pieces, and go through greens quickly, especially the softer brands. I hate buying a set to replenish one or two colors. Some brands carry every color in open stock, like Nupastel, which has a fairly short list of colors, but I find many others with a much wider range do not.

Is it possible for the rating to have less than five answers for some questions?

For this one rating might be:
1. Only is sets
2. Most popular colors available open stock
3. Open stock on full range of product

"To Begin, Begin." - Wadsworth
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2002, 07:23 PM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States
Consistency

I don't think 1=poor to 5=great is quite informative enough.

How about something more like:

5=Consistently buttery, no particulates.
4=Mostly smooth, occasional particulates
3=Average consistency, some colors better than others
4=Unpredictable consistency, varies from color to color
5=Poor consistency, unpredictable from piece to piece

I suppose I'm being nit-picky and poor to great would work just as well as long as what each rating had an understood definition.

I consider the consistency of Nupastel to be very good because every piece works like the next. Another pastellist would shudder at that rating because they are a hard consistency compared to the softer lines.

Another factor that would be important to me, but I do not know how it would be conveyed is how crumbly the sticks are. For the most part, I love Senellier, but some of the colors fall apart easily. Schminke is unbelieveably butter, but I will not be buying any more because the few I've tried, crumble to coarse dust when used. What category would this be?

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2002, 07:31 PM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States
Supports

I noticed in an earlier post, the category of supports was rejected.

When working in acrylics, I am less concerned with the support because the medium works well on a wide variety of supports by adjusting consistency or technique. When working in pastel, however, The choice of support is often critical to the outcome and support characteristics vary widely.

For example, Artbord works well for almost any medium BUT pastel, not enough tooth to support a complex work. Pastelbord, on the other hand, works nicely for pastel and is suitable for virtually any medium except maybe pen and ink.

There are more new supports coming on the market all the time for pastellist as the medium gains popularity and it would be wonderful to be alerted to new supports and to have a rating for them.

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2002, 07:52 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Re: Supports

Quote:
Originally posted by 1mpete
I noticed in an earlier post, the category of supports was rejected.

Oh, it wasn't rejected! It will be a separate category - this discussion is for the pastels themselves.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Lord of the Arts
Lubbock

Hails from United States
finding review

I'm trying to find more info on choosing pastels. I looked for the review in Drawing & didn't find it. I also had trouble coming up with search terms that yielded what I want. Where is the review info?
Tammy
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2003, 02:31 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

There is no review info yet, because we haven't rolled out the pastel products into our review system. I'm still waiting for something definitive to come out of this thread, with regard to how best to rate them ...
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2003, 03:15 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom
A possible thought is do the vendors do starter packs for beginners and what rating would someone give them? I am very new to art and want to try all the mediums but my funds are very limited and I would love to know if all the mediums were available in starter packs/introduction packs. So maybe including that in the rating system would be useful, I know it would be for me I would like to know who has the best starter pack and why it is the best would be useful.

Would it be possible to give starter packs there own mini -rating system or checklist when people are rating particular brands? ie
value for money, practicality, conciseness, helpfulness(many include pamphlets and booklets with useful info, completeness.

Please let me know if this is at all possible, as coming from a complete novice as I am I would love to know.

Warm Regards,

JAZZ
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2003, 10:22 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Is this only going to be for soft pastels? Would like to see more about oil pastels...also, pastels are usually called paintings, not drawings....being rather new here I might not find it as easily under that heading...and maybe I missed it but how about durability...in both soft and oil some break or crumble more easily and if you're a scrubber or like to blend in thick layers it can make a big difference in how long your sticks will last.

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2003, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
North Carolina

Hi, dont know if this would be helpful or not in here but figured "what the heck"........

I saw a post in this thread about "Price issues"............ I have for the past 5 years compared prices with just about every art supply website there is online, including auctions........I have designed a program (intended to keep records organized)
And ive compiled a very extensive list from student/hobby grade to professional grade art supplies, including a comparitive list to the major/known/reliable sellers and their prices.

Why you ask lol

It may look like im cheap........way cheap......but see it from my point of view.........Money today means alot no matter how rich or poor you are.........but.......to me what i buy with that money is more important...... so being a semi-professional artists ,
with minor obsessions like oil paints and pastels, i want the best and i want more if i can stretch that dollar......

To me Retail is what makes Starving artists Starve!

And this "Product Review Forum" is alot of help, and a price list would be even more of a help........so i offer .......that is if anyone is interested .....help in that area ....just email me, I know the WC Admin.'s are hard at work so i would love to help my fellow artists

[email protected]

Stephanie Williams
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2003, 09:23 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Hey, Stephanie, that' looks like it would be a big help...your not kidding when you say Retail makes starving artists starve...I'm going to email you but I know that even though price is a huge issue, so is service...some places will hold your money if an item is out of stock and if there's a minumum purchase amount then you can't even use it until you get up more money. Some take forever to deliver an order too. And some places are more expensive but have a lot of sales that actually get you the items cheaper. But you had to go to a bit of work to compile this list so I'm interested to see it...

Hey, is it me...or is there a new look for WetCanvas today???

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Juneau, Alaska

Hails from United States
Painting with pastels

I do not think that pastels should be stuck under drawing/illustration. I think of them as a painting medium (and I think that others should think of them that way also!) They are listed as a medium in the WC Forums "explore media". Why are oil sticks found in painting when pastel sticks are found in drawing? Please reconsider, or people looking for pastel reviews will not be able to find them without using a search.
Huff!!! Thanks for listening, now that that is off my chest, I can say that I think product reviews will be very helpful.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Cohasset, Massachusets

Re: FOCUS GROUP: Pastels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriadneArts
Melisa, you've hit on something that I've often complained about. I find, especially the darkest colors in Sennelier are often gritty and scratchy, kind of be-lying their "very soft" description. However, Schminke's are nice and smooth and also very very soft.

Have you tried Diane Townsend's Terrages for super dark colors that do not scratch and are not gritty. They cost more, but they are worth it!!!!