WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2002, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Birmingham, AL

Hails from United States
Harold, I just had the WORST thoughts when you mentioned those applications that would no longer be feasible...

Shame on you for putting such ideas in my head!! I would never have thought of them on my own....

Candace

Candace

I've been called many names like perfectionist, difficult and obsessive. I think it takes obsession, takes searching for the details, for any artist to be good. - Barbra Streisand

The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from what the average man is."
- Charles M. Schwab
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2002, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Birmingham, AL

Hails from United States
Harold, I just had the WORST thoughts when you mentioned those applications that would no longer be feasible...

Shame on you for putting such ideas in my head!! I would never have thought of them on my own....

Candace

Candace

I've been called many names like perfectionist, difficult and obsessive. I think it takes obsession, takes searching for the details, for any artist to be good. - Barbra Streisand

The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from what the average man is."
- Charles M. Schwab
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2002, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Sitka, Alaska

Hails from United States
Year or so, I read about some "glow in the dark glass" but think it was two colors for boro. It needed to be viewed under blacklite though.
Wonder if the properties of this powder stuff would break down with the high heat, etc. AND will it really glow with "normal" light, not blacklite.
At any rate, whoever, buys/trys this stuff....let us all know your facts/findings and PLEASE, PLEASE use a respirator while working it!!! We don't know enough about it yet....be cautious.
Catharine

FiredDesires Website

Ebay Auction Link
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2002, 01:19 PM
A Local Legend
Across Puget sound From Seattle

Hails from United States
glow in the dark toilet seat!!!!!!!!!!!!lol...I know a few people who could use that!

CATS! can't live with them, Can't live without them!
Why do they lay in your path and refuse to move out of your way and then complain bitterly when you trip over them?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
California Gold Country Sandpebblesglass

Hails from United States
Glass Alchemy has two black light reactive colors that I know of, Electric Flamingo and Electric Kumquat. I got them with a sample pack. I tried holding the rods under a cheap incandescent black light bulb and got zip. I have only worked with boro once, as a complete beginner. One of these days I'm gonna break it out and see how it feels now.

pete
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
As to glass that fluoresces with a blacklight I use the glass that came from Drew and a transparent yellow that Jan Burrows sells. Jan's vaseline glass is nice and bright with a blacklight.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Mississippi

Hails from United States
Moretti's Uranium Yellow (070) glass is supposed to glow under black light, but I haven't tried it.

~J
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2002, 06:57 PM
A Local Legend
The Carolinas

Hails from United States
Thumbs up

Thanks Jennifer!
Going there right now.
Beth
"In the South, the breeze blows softer...neighbors are friendlier, nosier, and more talkative. (By contrast with the Yankee, the Southerner never uses one word when ten or twenty will do)...This is a different place. Our way of thinking is different, as are our ways of seeing, laughing, singing, eating, meeting and parting. Nothing about us is quite the same as in the country to the north and west. What we carry in our memories is different too, and that may explain everything else." --Charles Kuralt in "Southerners: Portrait of a People"
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2002, 08:18 PM
Mississippi

Hails from United States
I got my powders today! Now, what can I put on my finger to shield it from the heat... I don't think I can wait!

It was neat: I opened the box and laid the three bags down on my desk - and my lights were off in here - parts of each bag were glowing! I wonder why it was just "parts" of the powders and not the whole lot?

Anyway - If my po' finger can stand the heat, I may have smething to show tomorrow.

~J
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2002, 12:01 AM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States
It WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok. I'm gonna try to stop giggling enough to post this.

The glow in the dark powders work. They appear to be quite stable in the glass. I'll share what I've discovered, though I've not done a lot with it yet.

First of all, it's powder. Looks a lot like pixie dust. And acts like it, too. By that, I mean that if you make a bead, then roll the bead in the glow powder, it's practically impossible to add more glass (i.e. encase).

The best thing I've figured out, so far, is to make NEW glass by mixing it. I got gathers on two anise white rods, then dipped one of the gathers in the glow powder. Using both rods, I kneaded the glow powder into the molten glass. Then I rolled the molten glob in the powder and did the kneading thing again. And a third time. I then pulled stringer.

OMG. The stringer glows in the dark. Can you imagine the possibilities here? Ghosts. Glow in the dark eyes. Glowing stars.

This is really, really fun. I would like to see what the rest of you come up with...

Hope this little bit of info is a help to those of you who are playing with it!!!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2002, 12:18 AM
Mississippi

Hails from United States
Well, I guess you have to use the right color when you mix it...

I mixed the powder with some regular white and made a ghost - no glow

I mixed some with black - no glow

I mixed some with clear - no glow

I made some filigrana with green, black, and the clear with the powder mixed in for some foliage on a pumpkin - no glow

Of course I didn't realize "no glow" until the next day, so that was all I had for the first night.

Next...

Tonight I tried rolling a white bead in it, and encasing it in clear - then I made a ghost. Maybe it will turn out - we'll see in the a.m.

So, if this doesn't work, any more suggestions?

What did I do wrong, Tink?

~Julie
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2002, 12:40 AM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States
You need to use lots and lots of powder. Well, not TONS, but more than you would EVER use if it were pixie dust. And you mixed it into the glass? Did you charge it up under a light really good?

Maybe I just got lucky on my first try. I'm going to try it with plain white next. Maybe some other colors, too.

When I think about how much powder I used, it was analogous to the amount of flour you'd use when making/kneading bread. If that makes any sense.

Sorry it didn't work for you. I used the green to play with, as it's my least favorite of the three colors. Saving the 'good ones' for when I work this out.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2002, 03:59 AM
kaneohe, Hawaii

Hails from United States
Cool

Vaseline glass is made with uranium- but very small amounts. It was used a lot in the 1920s to make beads which sparkle in natural light- like leaded glass- but with a more durable finish (lead glass scratched too easily for use in hand facted beads). Most uranium glass is yellow green, but there are also turquoise/ aqua, pink and amethyst varieties. Uranium glass glows green under a black light. There are other glasses which glow under black light. I have a few from the same era which glow orange. I believe these are colored with magnesium.
Moretti's uranium yellow is not quite as strong as the older glass (czech)... which I believe C.R. Loo currently has in stock (pricey though)....but if you need glow
Thanks for the link Jennifer!
Aloha,
Elise
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2002, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast
Western PA & Sarasota FL

Hails from United States
Hmmmm. Wonder if you make a white or clear core and roll it in the glow powder, then encase with clear......Japanese Miracle beads?

Paulette

www.suncoastbeads.com
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Tropical Townsville, Australia

Hails from Australia-Aboriginal
Any more on this guys?

I am doing a WC! search on lead crystal (Czech stuff Jan sells) would love to try it but not if I need a respirator to use it... and found this thread! Anyone got any pics or experiences to share??????

Thanks,
Donni