WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 07:16 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: A study on Eyes and Noses

For me dark color eyes, such as horse eyes require a bit of a different tactic with just hinting of light and using the skin and fur around the eye to define it more The light source should still be defined.

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 07:23 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

Depending on the species the eyes are not always large, prominant or well lit. Sometimes it takes finding the right photo to bring them to life. Other times it just takes some artistic license to create lighting that may nt exist in a reference photo.

Bears have very small eyes which are often shadowed because they use thier sense of smell more than their vision.

Elk often rely on thier larger ears to detect predators

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Santa Clarita, California

Hails from United States

I'm thrilled to have found this thread.. Fantastic and very helpful
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2010, 06:46 PM

I have been very busy lately. Some of which is my artwork. I have been working mostly with colored pencils and enjoy it immensely. I have done some scratchboard but not for some time. I really ebjoyed viewing the eye and nose studies. Great work and I am inspired by all of the artist's. I am especially intrigued with the personality of the animal shown in their eyes.Thumbs up to all.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 AM
South Florida

Hails from United States

Wow! Thanks so much for this thread. This will definitely help me get started on the right foot. Very helpful and informative!

We are all spirits having a human experience.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Lord of the Arts
Long Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks for this thread. I really need some help with eyes.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

Be sure and check out the rest of this series in the sticky titled Close Up Study Threads

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

DISCLAIMER: I find it fascinating that one of the things I emphasize in my classes, and try to practise is when doing eyes, the strokes should go from pupil to the outer edge of the iris. Do not cross hatch. And one of the contributions I gave was about the only time I cross hatched! Please forgive my "Duh" moment.

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Enthusiast
St Kitts (Caribbean)

Hails from St Kitts and Nevis
Re: Close-Up Study Threads <-- anyone new to scratchboard read these

I liked how this nose turned out, so I thought I'd post my wip images in this thread. This is how I approach a dog's nose on claybord / whiteboard.

1: Underpainting. I like to use ampersand inks. I try to avoid any smooth lines at places of value changes or margins (like hair to skin), they're very hard to scratch out later. I spackled a little dark sepia on the nose for added texture in this one (see tiny, dark dots!). Be sure to make the underpainting much darker/richer than you intend the final image to be.

2: Fixing errors. They happen, inevitably. This is why I love claybord, you can fix just about anything. So using a fibreglass brush I lightly removed some of the ink and repainted... changing the shape of the top of the nose as well as moving the philtrum and lip angle.

And voila! We're back in business! And on to the next step (finally)...

3: starting to scratch! I lovelovelove the tiny hairs around a dog or cat nose! Notice that the line of scratching is what will give the nose definition - not the colour change on the underpainting. The haired skin usually has a soft margin of darker colour adjacent to the pigmented nose. If you haven't used claybord keep in mind that your ink washes are not as thick as the surface of regular black scratchboard - when in doubt go EXTRA lighthanded. On the first layer you will scratch back to white and can do light washes to tone down the contrast - on subsequent ink layers you ideally you want to scratch back only to the ink underneath, this will give you a wonderful varigated range of values!

4: More hair

5: Nose texture - this can range from simple pontillation to small circular squigglies (showing here) or a more faithful scratching of the tiny cobblestones of the nose surface. This nose was meant to be more smooth so my 'cobbles' are more subtle and spaced widely. I generally put the most individual 'cobbles' on the top and center of the nasal planum, more subtle fine texture on the shadowed and lower parts (which are naturally smoother on the real dog). There is some scratching even on the deeper shadows - these will be inked over with a shade ~slightly~ lighter than the base coat, this keeps the depths visually appearing continuous with the rest of the nose. Also, dog noses have a LOT of topography, the more you can keep those wrinkles and curves the more convincing the final nose will be.

6: It looks like I missed a WIP shot in there - but essentially the cobbles are inked over with light washes (lighter than the background ink colour). Then the nose is reworked with a small fibreglass brush in a sort of macro pontillated fashion - taking away some of the ink in a mottled way. You can see that in some areas the 'cobbles' are lost, but the subtle variation those scratches make in the ink washes over them still adds more depth than if you'd just scratched the areas that will show.
The hairs of the muzzle have also gotten a light wash or two of ink to tone down the contrast.

7: More shading put in - and there is your final nose!

Full image here.

So go grab a whiteboard and have some fun!!

~ Boots ~
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

Great Demo with color Pam!

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Lord of the Arts
Long Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks for this thread I agree with Harold have a hard time with eyes and noses. Cathy how did you get that background with the golden eagle, steel wool?
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
Midway, TX

Hails from United States

I love the way you do animal noses Patrick! That stippliing makes it look so real, because cat and dog noses really can be quite dimpled can't they?

Great examples here! I enjoyed reading all of it.

Reflections From Life Fine Art
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2011, 05:58 PM
A Local Legend
Martha's Vineyard, MA

Hails from United States

This a great and informative thread. Here is a blow up of the face in my "Sharing a meal." I used a straight pin and I tend to scratch very tightly with very short scratches and then cross scratch repeatedly. as I scratch I rub the dust into the image and for deeper shadows I use black pastel.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
San Jose

Hails from United States

Can anyone also add a step step closeup images of how to color eyes please?
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast
USA - Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

Fantastic thread! Love seeing everyone's techniques, you're all so good!

Pat St.Onge/ FineArtAmerica
PAWS Painter (Etsy)