WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Re: ESP - Portrait & Figure Fundamentals - Lesson 1

Well here's my 2 attempts. Found a tera cotta colored piece of Canson that was gridded off already. Must have been planning on using that for something. The first one looks like a troll. Oh well it is a learning experience.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Here's the 2nd
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
sweden

Hails from Sweden

hi!
I have done just eyes so far... here is one with eyes and nose...

#49   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Nice, Mette. You have a strong personal style. The dark shadowy eyes work well in this, they look shadowed more than anything else. The lines of the man's eye wrinkles are very expressive too. I like the way his merriment shows -- you caught the smile in his eyes.

One of the things I love in classes like this is seeing how everyone does the same things so differently, the better any of us get, the more pronounced individual style becomes -- without working at it. It just grows out of being who you are and liking what you do and the more knowhow you have, the easier that shows to other people.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 10:11 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Judibelle,

Thanks for joining the class! Your pic is a bit small so it's hard to see, but it looks like you are getting a good division between darks and lights. Your blue areas, though, seem like they are in shadow, but the blue is pretty light in value. I'm guessing (I'm not sure which reference pic it is) that a blue that's darker in value might work better.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judibelle
Wow, such beautiful eyes so far. I have never done this before, so I decided to start with just one eye, til I get comfortable with it. Then I'll try the 2 eyes and the nose...

Looking forwad to improving....
JB
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

picksbugs, welcome!

Nice effort! One thing that struck me was the amount of really light values you have, especially right above the eyes. While there is a slightly lighter value there, it is not nearly as light as the lightest areas on the nose and cheek. I took our friend into photoshop to take a closer look at a couple areas. This is another way computers can help us - we can see and compare areas of color. You'll notice that the value above his eye, while lighter than the shadow, is quite a bit darker than the lightest light on his nose and also lighter than the light areas just under the eye.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksbugs:)
Well here's my 2 attempts. Found a tera cotta colored piece of Canson that was gridded off already. Must have been planning on using that for something. The first one looks like a troll. Oh well it is a learning experience.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

I like this one a lot! I'm glad someone has done the profile view!
You have done a nice job depicting the shadow and light shapes!

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksbugs:)
Here's the 2nd
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 10:36 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Mette,

Very nice! I especially like your transition from light to dark on his right cheek!

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mette Rörström
hi!
I have done just eyes so far... here is one with eyes and nose...

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
Nice, Mette. You have a strong personal style. The dark shadowy eyes work well in this, they look shadowed more than anything else. The lines of the man's eye wrinkles are very expressive too. I like the way his merriment shows -- you caught the smile in his eyes.

One of the things I love in classes like this is seeing how everyone does the same things so differently, the better any of us get, the more pronounced individual style becomes -- without working at it. It just grows out of being who you are and liking what you do and the more knowhow you have, the easier that shows to other people.

Yes, I agree! Even when I try to imitate another painter's style, it ends up looking like my style in the end.

On the oil painting forum, a new painter asked "how do I get my own style?" and I replied, "your style will be what your paintings look like when you stop worrying about having a style!"

Don
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
sweden

Hails from Sweden

robertsloan2..Thank you!
Don...Thank you....Is it ok to do more than one of each,and post them?( one eye..one nose and eye..and so on..)I´d like to do just a nose...and the profile..
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Don, thank you for showing me what was wrong with the first one.I knew it was off but wanted to post it anyway. I felt much better with the second one.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mette Rörström
robertsloan2..Thank you!
Don...Thank you....Is it ok to do more than one of each,and post them?( one eye..one nose and eye..and so on..)I´d like to do just a nose...and the profile..

Yes, you can do as many as you like. The more practice, the better!

Don
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
North Wales UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi all,
I wanted to have a go at this young man, I love the soft expression in his eyes in the photo, but I just couldn't get it in my painting.. I spent a LONG time trying - his left eye (right one in the painting) was a devil to do, I put so many layers on it then gave up when the paper couldn't take any more. But what a great exercise. I will try again on this one.

This photo close up actually looks better than IRL - but how sad his expression seems to be, not my intent at all.

Xina
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
North Wales UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Don,
I've found some photo portraits in the image library that I would like to work with, but don't know how to link their references/ images into a post for viewing here. How is this done?

Xina
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2008, 12:56 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Xina,

Very fine work! I'm at work and have just a minute so I didn't take time to compare this to the reference, but it looks good! I can tell that eye is a little blurry from overworking, but it seems like it is mostly in shadow and with the head turning away, there is probably a limited amount of reference to see. You obviously have a great eye for portraits!

There are probably a couple ways to get the photos from the reference library. You could link to them, but then we won't see them in the thread. If you right click over the photo and save it to your computer, then you can load that image into your post just like your paintings. I hope I have made sense.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinemlr
Hi all,
I wanted to have a go at this young man, I love the soft expression in his eyes in the photo, but I just couldn't get it in my painting.. I spent a LONG time trying - his left eye (right one in the painting) was a devil to do, I put so many layers on it then gave up when the paper couldn't take any more. But what a great exercise. I will try again on this one.

This photo close up actually looks better than IRL - but how sad his expression seems to be, not my intent at all.

Xina