WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
San Antonio, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Exploring Soft Pastels Class: Still-Life the Colourful Way!

This is my first attempt.

http://gayesekula.blogspot.com

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you." Henri-Frédéric Amiel
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
San Antonio, Texas

Hails from United States

This is after Charlie's demo. The colors on both are off but I must admit they both look a lot better in the photo than they do in person!

http://gayesekula.blogspot.com

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you." Henri-Frédéric Amiel
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 04:03 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Name:  RB_3.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  51.5 KB

My new Stage 2.

Before I do any Stage 3 stuff, I am going to wait for comments. This hasn't been sprayed with fixative. I added another layer of white to the blue-pink background because even with the lighter tints in Nupastels, it came out a bit dark. The yellow-green is still much lighter in the scan than in reality but it's still the brightest thing on the page.

I think this is much closer to the values. I know I had closer matches to some of your colors, including the first red tint that was like a bright deep pink and worked with the orange without going deeper in value.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 04:20 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Just out of curiosity, I decided to check my values by running RB-3 through Gimp again to make it grayscale. Interesting results.

Yellow really does pound forward while the violet-pink violet-blue mix pushes back. My yellow-green looks much lighter and brighter, but it is just about exactly the same value as the background.

Name:  RB_3gs.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  43.3 KB

My violet-red left side of the block is cooler and seems darker, my right side of the shadow side of the block is redder and looks lighter. They also match in value. Freaky results here!

But I think I got the values just right within the cast shadow. I hope so. Hope they weren't supposed to exactly match.

Let me know if this is how the values should work at this stage.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 05:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Rob, looking much better!

First, about the de-saturated one -- Do Not Trust Computers, they are sent by the AI mastermind, to spy on humans and to make life difficult for us, in preparation for th--

We interrupt this program for some music.

Ahem, gotta be serious.

I have several options of taking away colour from a picture. The one you used, with the same result. And then there is:

First one they call "infra red", second is "clear lying down", third is "standing". Have no idea why they call them so, I translate from the Swedish text.

The point being: it all depends on how they've set the bw in your computer and in that program.

I've found the bw setting of my camera to be much more trustworthy.

Trust your eyes more. Look at the finished stage 2 through almost closed eyes, a relaxed form of squinting. Or, squint. Compare the values.

And I'll leave you to it for a moment.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Zagreb

Hails from Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorix

But I can’t stare at the top of the block, I know I only have about 2-3 seconds before the eye gets ‘overloaded’ with the colour and starts to produce the complementary colour. (If someone knows the URL where there is a demo of this, post it.)

Charlie

her is the demo of how the complementary image is produced in the eyes

Charlie, what an enormous effort you have put in!!! Thanks a lot for this!!!
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

wow, this is hard...all this Thinking about which colors to use over what, etc...the first one (preview sketch) I did in about 1/2 hour, The paint-along one has taken me 3 sittings of about 1/2 hour to 45 min. each, and I still dont think it came out the way it should.
anyway, here they are....the first one (the pre-sketch) , and the paint-along one:

Couldnt get the yellow toned down enough in this one. But this has already been 'an experience'! and I am really enjoying it.
JB
C&C welcomed
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 05:14 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Squinting gave me pretty much the same results as what I did just dropping saturation to zero in Gimp. The ones you got are very strange to me, and I don't understand the Swedish program you're using.

But I can see that squinting to make the color go away, the yellow blurs right into the background and the two sides of the block blur into each other. The shadow on green cloth does look lighter than the shadow on blue cloth, which looks about the same value as the shadowed sides of the block.

If these are what the values should be at this stage with modeling accomplished by color, then I'm happy. If not, then going into the lighter red side of the block with more orange should lighten that a bit. Or using the darkest red tint that I used to tone the top.

Of course, I use what I have since I don't know how to use a BW setting on my digital camera. I just do scans.

There is a BW setting and a Sepia setting on the EasyShare software if I snap a photo, that I can turn a photo black and white or monochrome. I may try to go into that software, open my scan in that and see if there's a difference.

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 11-02-2008 at 05:16 PM.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 05:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

With some food for thought for all

Hi Gaye, splendid! You have basically good values, so lightly applied the paper shines through, but looking at the denser bits of colour, I think the choices are generally really good. My guess is that you've focused on the block, as you've seen the shifts in colour there, but that you've not bothered so much with the cast shadow. But you went for a dark value, wich is excellent. (I know, it was a quick sketch, but I'm using this for educational purposes.) If I'm guessing right, then...

All, take notice: The cast shadows are an integrated part of a set-up, and very important. Remember, they are the key to the intensity of light, and we'll pay as much attention to them as to the objects. Later, we will think about how to place cast shadows within the composition, or rather, how to arrange it considering the shadows too.

Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekulastudio
This is my first attempt.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 05:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Rob, Great, you discovered something important about squinting. Then I know I can trust your bw, and I'm heading over to your other post now.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 05:21 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh wow! Charlie, I ran the same scan through my EasyShare software and this is what I came up with for a second grayscale of the same scan of Stage 2:

Name:  RB_3_gs2.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  57.1 KB

In this one, the yellow area is distinctly lighter than the background, one full step lighter. This is after I used white to lighten the background.

But the red side looks darker tan the violet side and that doesn't really make sense, when squinting shows results more like what I got on the first grayscale. You're right that the programs do different things.

I need to make that red gel value finder and start looking at art through that to get rid of color and see where my values are. I bought some transparent red film, but now need to cut matboard to make a frame for it to hold it up.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

This is a fount of information and I thank you for all your work. I will settle into it after the holidays, and winter sets in. I am lurking...
thank you, Pat
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 05:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Rob, This really looks great! Yellow has a tendency to become really vivid in scans and photos, and your squinting and unsaturated says the values are fine. You can choose to go a hair lighter on the right shadow plane on the block, if you want to, but it is strictly not necessary. Cool reds and purples also tend to go lighter in scans and photos.

It is possible that your background blue cloth will be a bit grayish, as I think you've chosen a pink that is a tad warmer than mine. This is not a problem, so don't change it, but don't be surprised either (and I'm guessing, based on what I see on screen).

Yellow-green will be brighter than most other colours, as we humans are designed to see most values and hues in that band of the spectrum. Yellow is brighter than white, even if white can be lighter.
If you perceive it to be too bright in your actual painting, you can 'knock it back' a tad with a red of the same value. A warmer red will give a warmer dulled YG, and a pinker will give a cooler cast.

Are you looking at the photo of the block on the screen as you paint? Then you'll see a bit more accurate values and colours than I did, as I worked from a printed photo.

Go ahead with the following stage! You're all set for a success!

Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
Attachment 414913

My new Stage 2.

Before I do any Stage 3 stuff, I am going to wait for comments. This hasn't been sprayed with fixative. I added another layer of white to the blue-pink background because even with the lighter tints in Nupastels, it came out a bit dark. The yellow-green is still much lighter in the scan than in reality but it's still the brightest thing on the page.

I think this is much closer to the values. I know I had closer matches to some of your colors, including the first red tint that was like a bright deep pink and worked with the orange without going deeper in value.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 06:00 PM
A Local Legend
Denver Colorado

Hails from United States

very nice everyone, and charlie you are really doing a wonderful job here, love how you are putting it altogether.
and yes hehehehe, I am lurking in the shadows, and enjoying myself just watching

Take care, Be well, Be safe http://www.scottleckrone.com
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Gaye, good job! Your background blue cloth will also become a tad grayish, but don't bother with it. The reason is: while you have an excellent cool pink, the blue looks a tad warm. So far, the value is fine.

Now, and again I'm unsure, because colours can look so different in the computer, but I do think the values of the cast shadows are a bit too light. Before you proceed, can you darken them? Go a value or two darker, but with the same colours.

Your purple is a bit bluer than mine, but that is easily fixed with a real cool red on top of it. The red you have now is a bit too brown, would you have a red that has a bit more violet in it? Otherwise, use the coolest or the purest red you have, and apply a bit of blue on it. (Yes, it is a bit of to and fro.) But skip this stick, it is too brown.

If it all becomes too messy, don't hesitate to start over. It will be way easier. But, if you do not have a better red, go on with what you have painted, just darken the cast shadow, both sides of it.

The yellow for the greenish yellow is a nice 'tame' yellow, so you do not have to do what I did in stage 4 to make it paler. When I say in the beginning of stage 4 that I use the white stick to cool it further, you do not need to do that. Just do what I write with the yellow and green.

Top of the block has an excellent value.

Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekulastudio
This is after Charlie's demo. The colors on both are off but I must admit they both look a lot better in the photo than they do in person!

Charlie's Site/Blog