WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Randolph, MA

Hails from United States
Re: Exploring Soft Pastels (ESP) Classroom - Snow

T: good work I like your interpretation .. looks like a storm is approaching.

Tressa: nice but now you have to one to see how it compares to a few years ago

Robert: nice finish

---

I forgot to mention that I planned on mine being done with the 6 color palette I have been using but I cheated and got another color I just didn't have a color light enough to represent the lightest part of the snow

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow, WC... I didn't even think of trying to do it in a limited palette. I think I used about 50 different colors to get mine, a dozen just to get the neutral blobs just right. I probably handled about half the light colors I own in both sets to do this scene.

Yours is great!
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 06:30 AM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

LOL, I'll try! I want to do more of these, I actually prefer winter scenes to fall! And is coming quickly here! uggh, very chilly here this morning!
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 09:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2

Robert, I think this is quite rich and lovely--and so small! I'm enjoying the sky color you have going there... It will be nice to see how you resolve the trees, too. As far as I'm concerned you're right on track with the snow. Have fun!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 09:44 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC Lee
Giving this a try my first attempt at painting snow ... done on Wallis, 3 x 3.5

W.C. it's delightful! Another teensy one! I really like the palette you're using here, too. I think you need to paint more snow...

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Semele, I can't go without commenting on your additions to the discussion of the color of the sun. Of course, I know you're absolutely right and have always been interested in the physics (sans the arithmetic) of light and color. I had a wonderful student, a scientist at the Sandi National Labs, who consulted with me on this issue quite frequently. He was the one that first pointed out to me that the color yellow has been mythologized as fading first, when in fact if it is intense enough it stands out of the crowd--witness signs with yellow, red, orange components in brilliant light, or our yellow school buses, traffic signs, etc. However, in nature the color does appear to desaturate quickly, and snow features this particularly because it's light in value. It was my scientist friend who taught me about the physics of white, that it truly turns a dull pink optically, rather than the observable yellowing that's clearly influenced by pollution in the atmosphere. If you look at paintings done over 150 years ago you don't find the yellow component in distant clouds or on snow!

At any rate, I thank you for the clarification, and will add to my files what you observed here. I find that in understanding the reasons for things I can further clarify why I do what I do, which helps make me a better teacher (once I've figured out how to simplify things, both for myself and my students.)

Oh--and I love the Faegre piece, too, but because I respond to his lovely blocky strokes and strong responsive color work, not to mention that palette of colors.

Glad you've joined in and I hope we see some snow paintings from you, too!
Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa
Here is one I did few years ago using charcoal underpainting, a darker blue, midtone blue and and light blue.
Attachment 413107

Love this one, Tress! The charcoal gives it a nice strong dark underpinning. Great graphic quality.

Deborah
Gouache Blog

Last edited by Deborah Secor : 10-20-2008 at 10:25 AM.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 10:27 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2

Kewl finish, Robert! Yes, white is useful in snow but it often isn't as needed as we think. Love the colors in the bare trees.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I thought I'd look at some more paintings, these by
Carlson
Carlson
Lorenzo Chavez
Marc Hanson
Kim Lordier

(in that order, I hope!)

Deborah
Attached Images

Gouache Blog
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast
Fitchburg, WI, USA

Hails from United States
Smile Re: Exploring Soft Pastels (ESP) Classroom - Snow

Oooooo! Lots of lovely examples being shown! I'm motivated!
I have recovered pretty well from my bronchitis and lung infection so I'm going to try some pastel dust today!
Good work, ya'll!

Thanks, Deborah, for the reminder of the resources of the WC reference library!

Also, Deborah, thanks for posting the examples from Carlson.
As I posted earlier, I'm back reading my copy of Carlson's lanscape book
slowly and carefully. But, what struck my as I've been studying is low rich our printed world has become over the years! Carlson's book has a cover with one of his paintings in color. But, within the text, they are all black and white!
When I first started teaching in 1962, children's books were printed often with one or two colors with sort of "poster" like illustrations. A stop by your favorite book shop will show you just how many well illustrated, well painted works of art go into books these days. I think, also, of all the Northlight and other publisher's wealth of art books with fabulous colored examples to inspire us. To see Carlson's work is a real joy!
So...this week "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!" ...at least in you studio on the paper!
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Hi Deborah (and all)....I've been reading this thread from the beginning, but havent done any snow scenes....til today.
This is from a photo I took a couple of years ago.

C&C welcomed and appreciated
JB
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2008, 06:17 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow, thank you, Deborah!

Snow Scene sold off my blog as I was posting the stages to my daily art group. I warned my client that I might be making some last minute changes due to excellent critique, but after seeing your comment I was just soaring. My heart skyrocketed. I honestly wasn't sure how well that worked because I was doing things I'd never tried before - the cotton ball blocking in before detailing was my big risk in this one.

I used your clouds class color suggestions to create the muted neutral of the cotton balls, and it helped a lot! I didn't blend them completely either, but did them like your examples with a little more violet here and a little more orange there and a little more green there, to let the color vary a bit. Detailing over it was tough but I got some blue sky-holes in the hard way with pastel pencils almost drilling them in sometimes.

Thank you so much for teaching!

I love all the examples you posted, Carlson's and the others. What struck me looking at all of them grouped was how the time of day, the weather, the temperature was dramatically different in all of them. A snow scene isn't just generic. It's afternoon or morning, overcast or sunny, more northern or southern, it's always unique.

Carlson's first one is a nice winter day when it's late afternoon just thinking about sunset and not quite there yet. The time of day the light gets all golden and I think of painting. It's very still and that soft clumpy snow is partly melting in the last of the afternoon heat. I can hear faint little drips plopping in it. Day creatures like deer or rabbits are still around, lynxes and bobcats are stretching and lazily considering a twilight hunt.

The snow is distinctly that sunny deep-afternoon golden color and the shadows have a strong tint of evening blue. The trunks are dark and a little snow is coming down, mostly from being shaken loose from branches. The light is too golden for it to be overcast and actually snowing.

Carlson's second one is a more overcast day, cold and wet, the type of day you get water coming up into your boots and freeze your toes off walking around. Slushy weather. Much more muted colors. Much lower visibility with some fog going on, some dampness. I looked close at the sky and the cloud cover isn't complete, there are hints of very cold northern blue but the clouds are almost the same value. So maybe "partly cloudy" is turning into "40% chance of freezing rain or sleet."

Lorenzo Chavez took me way out West to Montana or the Dakotas, somewhere the Rockies are close and the air is crisp and arid. It feels chilly even though the snow is melting into that creek and giving some needed life to the dried winter grasses. This could be spring hitting near the Rockies. The early spring where it's only nice out if you're healthy and vigorous and like cold weather.

Morning mist is burning off in Marc Hanson's painting. It has something neat with the cold foreground and yellowed sun patches in the middle ground, that morning mist is in shadow and will soon be turning into a brighter day. Hilly country like Virginia or places I've been on the East Coast. I like the dramatic slanting hillsides.

Kim Lordier's lakeside could be anywhere from the Midwest to Oregon and those places, it's a beautiful lake in a forested area in the winter. It looks cheery. It looks happy. It looks like "going up to the cabin on vacation." Soft thick fluffy snow looks like playtime, but the lake if iced over has only thin ice and is very dark and reflective. Looks like it's warm enough for open water and playing in the snow, one of those nice days at the warm side of winter snowy seasons. Maybe early winter before the lakes really freeze.

Kim's light is more pinkish, yet doesn't seem like sunset light. More like midday but the sun isn't as high on the horizon as it gets in the summer. That has to add to the color shifting too, the way a winter sun doesn't reach the heights even at noon that it does in summer.

When I used to ski in Illinois and Wisconsin in high school -- not well but I enjoyed it and goofed around a lot -- I used to see the ski places look that way in the afternoon, midafternoon. The sunlight would look pinkish orangy on the snow, with bright cheery blue and violet shadows. It's a warm happy believable scene of a park or wilderness sanctuary, one of those great places any of us might love to go for some plein air.

All of these painters take me there. Every one of these paintings reads truer than a photograph. I think I am beginning to understand why pastels are described as "luminous" and how many limitations photography has. I can't wait to read what you have to say about how they do it!
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2008, 09:23 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judibelle
Hi Deborah (and all)....I've been reading this thread from the beginning, but havent done any snow scenes....til today.
This is from a photo I took a couple of years ago.

C&C welcomed and appreciated
JB

Good job, JB. You really caught the color of the sky, a rich blue that isn't dark, and how it's reflecting back into the snow. The contrast in the trees is good, but I wonder if you could maybe add some more contrasting shadows into the snow area, particularly where the buildings are casting shadows. I'm not quite sure where the sun is coming from...the left, I think...

If you want to play with the composition, you might turn the painting upside down and notice how it's got three bands, sky, trees and snow. The buildings become part of the snow shape, which is very interesting. Maybe you could vary the heights of the trees, allowing more of the sky to peek through, raising or lowering some so that you give a more interesting shape to the sky section, too. It may be just how it looked, but right now the tree line is too much the same as the line of the snow bank.

Glad you shared--do more snow paintings!

Congrats on the sale, Robert! That's always fun...

I agree, and part of the reason I showed all these different artists was to emphasize exactly what you observed. Snow isn't just a one-trick pony. You can find all sorts of conditions and colors and compositions to paint.

Keep 'em coming, gang!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

thanks, Deborah....I didnt get to do any sketching today, but tomorrow I will try what you suggested. This is a great thread. I have several other snow scenes which I have not tried to paint, but will now...
JB
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I am sketching and planning for my "snowman" imaginary snow scene, and I'll see if I can get a preliminary value drawing done today.

It hit me this minute while posting that if I do the value drawing in a monochrome blue-violet, that should give a vague idea of what the painting will look like too. So I'll work with a tinted charcoal pencil on a sketchbook page and see what I get. I'm ready for that leap of leaving references behind, at least to try it!

My first try turned into a completely different scene. Maybe I shouldn't have started with the big pine on the right. The snowman did not come in as a major focal point and I didn't really have room for the children. But I did create a landscape completely from imagination and memory.

I would appreciate C&C on this sketch since I would like to get to where I can create snow scenes from imagination and memory. Any suggestions will be helpful whether I try them on this one or sketch them as themselves. I'll keep trying till I have one I like to develop. Might try color sketching too as if I was doing plein air, with the pastel pencils.

Name:  SnowSketch.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  68.6 KB

If this is plausible, please let me know. If it's not, please let me know why. Color is "Thistle" tinted charcoal pencil on sketchbook paper.

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 10-21-2008 at 06:40 PM.