WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#316   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2008, 07:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Exploring Soft Pastels (ESP) Classroom - Snow

Wow--Karen, very nice! They all please me for different reasons.

The trees are like characters in a play, standing on a white stage. Love the colors and marks you've made.

You really nailed that light on the snow in the second one! The regression is lovely, and your palette is very pleasing.

The composition on #3 is terrific--the transparency of the umbrella really works, but I think that one touch of orange light in the window just makes the whole painting work.

And #4 is just...lush pasteling! Wonderful!

So glad you showed these.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #317   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Deborah, you're right! That orangy-glinting window is one of the reasons it feels so cold and wet outside. I remember all the days in Chicago that were so dark they might as well be evening at noon and the interior lights anywhere would look that orangy by contrast.

These are so gorgeous, Karen. Thanks for posting them!
  #318   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast
Marietta, Georgia

Thanks for looking and for your nice comments!
Deborah,
Thank you so much for the wonderful lessons on painting snow. It has really helped me and inspired me. I think I am addicted now! The only problem is the lack of snow here in Georgia!
Robert,
Thank you so much for your comments. I really enjoyed the city scene and hope to do more. My son is at the School of the Art Institute in Chicago and his assignment from me is to get me some more winter reference photos!
Karen
  #319   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh wow, Karen! That must be wonderful if he can troop around the pretty parts of the city for reference photos. When my grandkids are a bit older, we might all go to Chicago for a vacation some year and I know I'd want to get a ton of reference photos. Especially in winter. Chicago in winter can be gorgeous.

Okay, it was more gorgeous to me on weekends when I had time to go to museums and go out to the park and appreciate its gorgeousness, but it really is a beautiful city. The idea of going there for a week or two with no itinerary and enough spending money to do museums on a whim is sometimes compelling. Slobbing off on vacation in the City That Works would be fun!

The Field Museum has a beautiful facade and grounds. Lincoln Park is gorgeous in any season. So do so many of Chicago's attractions. The streets are magnificent too for painting. I can't wait to see what you paint from his photos!
  #320   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Howdy. Im new to WC and I've been roaming the pastel channel for some time so I figured I should say hi. I recently discovered the snow class and really enjoyed it and learned a lot. I finished my last snow painting before I discoverd the snow class. The wind blows up here nonstop so I tried to portray the moving, blowing snow in the painting. 12 x 14 canson.

I wrote many notes from the class and am looking forward to doing another snow painting. Appreciate your hard work and wilingness to share information. Hope I'm not to late to show a snow painting!

Im new to this. I spent 3 hrs trying to get image of painting in this reply. I couldnt get the insert image thing to work. But I finally managed to do it with an attachment. sorry for inconvenience.

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/attachme...d=1231359 636
Attached Images

#321   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Wow, Ron--I can sure sense the wind in this painting! The foreground in this is quite effective--love the snow clinging to the mounds of earth in the wind. It's really beautiful. I'm glad you found this thread and shared your painting.

(Sorry you had trouble with the uploader, but don't take it personally. I think it's misbehaving.)

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #322   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2009, 07:43 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Ron, this one is great. The feeling of wind and moisture is there, and the motion in the painting is beautiful. I like your atmospheric perspective too, it's very subtle but all the neutrals in the foreground are warm and get cooler gradually as you go back into the distance in a very natural way. Those twisted trees are fun too.

Gorgeous painting. You live in a beautiful area if you did this from life or your own photo, it's glorious.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #323   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Thanks Deborah and Robert for the nice welcome and comments. I'm sure I'll pop in here and there every so often.