WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portrait Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 AM
American in Stockholm

Hails from United States
Re: Mark Montana / Hyperrealist portrait artist

thanx Ken....excellent, really lovely work..and a really lovely site as well. yes..the days are getting shorter, aren't they.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Dresden, Saxony

Hails from Germany

When I saw your drawings I liked very much what I saw !!!

Quote:
I have always had a tendency to not listen to compliments, but as I get older, they are really nice to get and muchly appreciated.
Your "fault" that you get so many compliments - your works are simply "too" impressive.

BTW - I like your Farnsworth-portrait a lot. This combination of very detailed areas and only indicated ones creates an exciting tension.

Greetings from Dresden,
Beate
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Michigan

Hails from United States

Mark, thanks for taking the time to explain why it is you do what you do. Knowing now that to you there is a major difference between an actual photograph and a drawing that is made to look like a photograph, I can begin to see the value behind doing such work. And I admire the fact that rather than simply copying a photograph inch by inch, you consider things like distortion and try to understand the figure in all three dimensions. I think far too may artists rely to heavily on photos these days, accepting them as gospel. But thankfully you realize that photos do not always tell the truth and sometimes even the best photos fail to convey a person's essense. This is good.

And just for the record, I never called into question your artistic merits. I do believe you are an artist, and a good one at that, although I suppose the majority of pretentious art critics would beg to differ because, unfortunately, we live in an era where technical craftsmanship lives in the shadow of ideas. Today it is all about the conceptual. And while I do sometimes admire the creativity, cleverness and poignancy of some conceptual artists, I also find it almost insulting that they are held to such a pedigree as technical masters like Michelangelo and Rembrandt.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 04:16 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
North Augusta, SC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by arachosia
Mark, thanks for taking the time to explain why it is you do what you do. Knowing now that to you there is a major difference between an actual photograph and a drawing that is made to look like a photograph, I can begin to see the value behind doing such work. And I admire the fact that rather than simply copying a photograph inch by inch, you consider things like distortion and try to understand the figure in all three dimensions. I think far too may artists rely to heavily on photos these days, accepting them as gospel. But thankfully you realize that photos do not always tell the truth and sometimes even the best photos fail to convey a person's essense. This is good.

And just for the record, I never called into question your artistic merits. I do believe you are an artist, and a good one at that, although I suppose the majority of pretentious art critics would beg to differ because, unfortunately, we live in an era where technical craftsmanship lives in the shadow of ideas. Today it is all about the conceptual. And while I do sometimes admire the creativity, cleverness and poignancy of some conceptual artists, I also find it almost insulting that they are held to such a pedigree as technical masters like Michelangelo and Rembrandt.

Have you ever seen one of these or anything like it in real life? To me a photo (no matter how good), doesn’t appear 3d. A rendering seems to “jump” out of the page. The biggest compliment people pay to me when ever they see one of my drawings is to reach out and touch it. They can’t believe that you can do this with a pencil!

Peace

..."Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices - but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence (Albert Einstein)."
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 06:48 PM
American in Stockholm

Hails from United States

thanx Beate / littlebeech... i think your "old Basque" turned out pretty spectacularly too.

Hi "arachosia"...(glad to see you back here): I strongly disagree that "even the best photos fail to convey a person's essence"...While i would agree that no one photograph can capture the many dimensions of an individual, the same is true for a painting or sculpture...but you bring me to a point that has been on my mind quite a bit lately.

I have been thinking a lot about the habit or need to diminish one form of artistic expression in order to elevate another (usually one's own).

Something I am itching to address in detail (I smell an article brewing) is the chronic disrespect leveled against artists who work from photographs in general and photorealists specifically.
Yesterday, i was reading an article in the portrait classroom about edges and backgrounds...These are topics relevant to artists working in a variety of styles, yet the author of the article ended the second paragraph with these two sentences:
"If your goal is to create a work of art that looks just like a photograph you can skip this section. But if you’re ready to explore and experiment with your medium to portray your subject in a manner that would never be mistaken for a photo, read on."
I am sad to say that i couldn't finish reading the article because with those two sentences, i lost all respect for the author. I am mildly embarrassed to admit that i immediately investigated the website of the author and discovered (unsurprisingly) quite a mediocre talent.

I point this out not because i am trying to be mean...well, not JUST because i am trying to be mean
I point out the mediocrity, because that attitude reflects a "smallness" of imagination. I sense in those two seemingly innocuous sentences the sour grapes of someone who has learned all of the 'rules' of what a 'good artist' does and does not do, yet their own work is flat, uninspired, and poorly executed.

How deadly dull it would be if EVERYONE felt the need to paint like Jeremy Lipking (whom I love). I do not believe in ONE way to paint or draw (or sculpt....or cook...or...play canasta)...I believe in the pursuit of EXCELLENCE in whatever style, or medium, or field one has chosen to work.

If the author of that article wanted to address the pitfalls of working from photographs, then that is a topic worthy of its own article. There ARE many limitations and distortions in photographs and a good or great photographer knows how to exploit those distortions to maximum effect.

There is (of course) much more to say on the topic, but it is my bedtime now, and I have rambled on enough. If you have read this entire entry, give yourself a pat on the back and a cookie ;-)
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Dana Design

I have absolutely loved this thread and it was a pleasure to reread it!
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Dana Design

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Augusta, Maine USA

Hails from United States

I am VERY impressed. Love them!!

I too have decided to get back with the artists and have fun.

Toby
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2011, 06:16 PM

Hails from Germany

This is absolutely stunning! How on earth do you accomplish such detail and sense of reality? And how long did the portrait of your mother take you? The skin is amazing, it's like you could reach out and touch it.

I guess I'll never understand the questioning of photorealistic drawing/ painting. I think an accomlished artist is able to choose good reference photos and to compensate - if need be - flashlight pictures or the like. It definitely IS art, no doubt about that. And an immensely impressive one, too.
And never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2012, 01:19 PM
UK

Hails from Northern Ireland

brilliant work Mark.. i just wouldnt have the patience and concentration to do this so that in its own right is an amazin skill..let alone your drawing skills
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM
A Local Legend
Las Vegas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnsmalkin
Oh My!!!!!!!!

Your abilities are astounding. I would love to be a student of your tutaledge.

This is what I would love to acheive!!

An absolute fan!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

Me too! Me too!
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM

Thumbs up Re: Mark Montana / Hyperrealist portrait artist

Hi Mark. Epic talent. In addition to your discussion about people denigrating different artists, I work in a digital medium, but have an open mind and appreciation for other forms of art. I believe that in most instances it is the journey not the destination that is important. The ability to close off to everything around you and to be able to immerse yourself in the task at hand is fantastic irrespective of if it is "acceptable" to the mainstream. Sometimes the most basic picture can convey an emotion that was totally unintended by the artist. I'm glad that the mainstream has not affected your views. Keep it up. Hope to see more.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast
Greensboro, North Carolina, USA

Hails from United States

i am awed and amazed at the skill and patience it takes to obtain photorealism...i worked to that end for years and NEVER EVER achieved what you have with drawing, as some dear lady announced to me while I was putting on lipstick sans mirror...she said " honey you aren't even close". And so it was with my "realism".

I am a painter and do not make a pencil or graphite drawing but "draw" with thinned paint, i call it painterly realism. Realism of any kind takes the hard knocks, so does portraiture and here you have excelled mightily at BOTH.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 AM

I think your work is truly spectacular. Can I ask, what pencils are you using and what tips can or would you share with the rest of us? Thanks so much for your art.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 PM

Hails from United States

Amazing - I also attempt to be as realistic as possible in my drawings! I think it is time wasted to do a portrait and when someone sees it, they ask "What a nice portrait - who is it?" It takes a remarkable amount of time and talent to be truly photorealistic!

JP