WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portrait Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2003, 03:02 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Joseph- a scratch portrait WIP

Greetings all!

I am doing a portrait on scratchboard and decided to do a WIP, since this is something a little different. I have done lots of animals in scratch, but only one other portrait (my granddaughter). I learned a lot from doing her's, hopefully it will help do this one.

I started by doing a sketch and then transfered it to the board, using charco/paper (white). I have lightened the contrast on this first image so you can see what it will be and I started with the eye and then did the teeth. No reason for this, just what I did. I am using an exacto knife to do my scratching and am doing very fine, small strokes, basically tiny, tiny, crosshatching.

Meet Joseph Richards, sculptor.

On the second one, I am moving left around the mouth a bit and the nose is almost done. I may have lightened it a bit much but it will be easier to tell when I get more done. If I did, I will use ink to correct it. I may anyway, as I've found that watered down india ink gives a brownish cast to the white, which will be quite useful in this particular portrait. Joseph is Jamaican.

Next post I'll do a closeup to show the scratches.

All comments, questions and crits welcomed!

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2003, 03:16 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada
I forgot to say this is 8 X 10 on clayboard black

Lorna Hannett.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2003, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Essex, England UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Hi Lorna,
Followed you over here to watch Your cat over in 'animals' has so impressed me that I want to watch and learn and perhaps have a go at scratching. Joseph looks good so far. I'll be watching and waiting (and probably asking stupid questions). It's little things like your description of correcting by re-inking - should have been obvious to a child but I didnt think of it - I was afraid that one tiny scratch out of place and your work was ruined and your materials wasted. Just shows how entrenched and blinkered I have become in oils. Can't wait for the next stage.

Bob
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2003, 04:25 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada
Hi Bob,

Glad you could join me!

Ask all the questions you want....there are no stupid questions, only dumb mistakes!

As for re-inking, you can correct minor mistakes this way, but one major scratch out of place can ruin a whole piece. (been there, done that) I bought a little kit to do my first one (they sell for about $10 at the art supply stores) and it came with a practice piece to try scratches on....it really helped to learn how hard and lightly to scratch. I now keep a little bit larger piece of board to experiment with, adding color, inks, taking it off again and using a variety of different things to scratch with to get the effect I want.

One thing (among many) that I have learned is to make sure your hands are very clean...no oils! I also use a very soft piece of felt to rest my hand on as I scratch so as not to accidently erase the inked surface.

You might want to check out www.ampersand.com for more info and tips and tricks. They are the people who make the kits and sell the tools and boards.

Lorna Hannett.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2003, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast
Caledonia, Michigan

Hails from United States
Hi Lorna!

You know I had to come watch your WIP!!!! Looking great so far! Do you like the white paper for transfering your sketch? That is something I havent tried yet but may soon.

I have a tip for you for keeping the oil off the board without the fumbling of laying something down to rest your hand on. I use a glove and cut the thumb, forefinger, and middle finger at the first knuckle and use it to protect the board. It works great and you dont have to constantly adjust its placement etc. You may like it too!!

Bob
Attached Images

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil has to be lead.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2003, 10:20 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada
Hi KingBob!

Thanks for watching! Feel free to offer advice anytime! The tip about the gloves is a good one.....I thought of it a while back but thought my hand might get too warm. I don't wear gloves in the winter for more than 5 minutes, even when I'm driving.

I've got to go to the city today, have an artclub meeting tonight, so I won't get any work done today. I'll try to post something for tomorrow.

Lorna Hannett.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2003, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast
North Carolina

Hails from United States
Wow, that must take a LOT of patience. How long do these scratchboards usually take you?

I'll be watching every step of the way for this one.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast
NC

Hails from United States
Will be watching this one, Lorna! Neat item you have on, Bob.

I only cheer for 2 teams: UNC and anyone playing Duke.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2003, 08:43 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
Oh, is this ever neat looking! I have not seen this for a long long time. You are amazing with it!
I always remember not knowing what to do if too much black was removed.
I'll have to go over and look at your animal ones.
Joss
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Immortalized
Parker, CO

Hails from United States
looks awesome so far!!

All works are copyrighted and may not be copied, reproduced, or downloaded without my written consent.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2003, 04:59 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada
Hi everone who has joined on! Sorry for not posting sooner. I had planned on working on this, but got a lot of company instead. I did get a little done last night after everyone went to bed and then I managed about 10 hours today after everyone left. Good thing I'm a night owl!

I started working around the mouth area.

Closeup:

The areas I have done so far are near finished, but I may make adjustments (lightening or even darkening). I will know better when I get more done.

Bob, (Myorca) Sorry, I forgot to answer your question! Yes I really like the charcopaper. It comes off with a tiny bit of water, no eracing and it doesn't come off accidentally, if your hand or in my case the cloth touches it. When I do my tracing if there is a small area I want to remain black, I can use the transfer paper and make that area white and then just scratch around it and know the white will come off when I need it to. That's how I did most of the spots on the leopard one I did a while back. On this one, I left the white fairly heavy around the eye area (the creases and iris) as well as the inside of the mouth area.

talkingbanana, It depends on the size and complexity of the piece. The cat I just did took around 20 (ish) hours, while the elephants I posted a couple of weeks ago, took over 200 hours.
This one I expect will take close to 100 hours if not more.

The face (skin) area is going fairly well but I expect to spend a great deal of time on the hat, with it's pattern. I just have to see how it goes.

So far I have spent about 30 hours on it.

Lorna Hannett.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2003, 05:06 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada
I forgot to say thankyou to Jocelyn, crazyjumper and BT! I'm sorry, I'm more tired than I thought.

Now that I have seen this on here, I see the area right under the lip is too dark. I'll have to fix that.

I'm off to bed!

Lorna Hannett.com
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Immortalized
Parker, CO

Hails from United States
WOW!!! This looks FANTASTIC!!! His facial hair is incredible!!

All works are copyrighted and may not be copied, reproduced, or downloaded without my written consent.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2003, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Essex, England UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Watching progress in silent awe!!!!

Bob
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2003, 03:20 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada
Thankyou Bob H. and BT!

I got about 5 more hours in tonight, mainly around the eye area. I'm too tired to do much more, my eyes are going buggy!

more tomorrow.....

Lorna Hannett.com