WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Bisbee Arizona USA

Hails from United States
Re: How to make your own frit and save money!!!

Yes, I know what you mean about the tiny specks in frit made with a garbage disposal or coffee grinder...I demonstrated the coffee grinder technique with a smile in my first glass video, Making Beads with Stained Glass Remnants. In the days when I made that video, there was so little knowledge about how to do a variety of things we do now. I feel awful about that little segment and when I turn it into a DVD, I will remove it. Many of you cannot imagine how little info there was around on glass bead making in those early years. Thank goodness bead people in this country have always been about sharing their experiments and torch info. This is why glass bead making in the USA is probably the most advanced. Yea Wet Canvas!
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2005, 11:47 AM

Hi folks...

I wish I could spend this beautiful snowy day behind a torch like so many of you out there must be doing right now. All in due time I suppose. In the meantime I'll have to take comfort in being able to pour over all the wonderful information in the 101 tutorials...I just live here now. And I'm thoroughly enjoying my stay.

I was reading the "Tools" tutorial and I came across this favorite tool of Kari's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariFL
Big hemostats- for moving little ends of glass rods from the kiln to the ice water for frit.
Kari

That lead me to this thread. I think my question is more appropriate for this thread even though I've borrowed the quote from the tools thread.

And my question is, what exactly is the process that's going on with the kiln in Kari's post? Why would one heat the bits of glass rods in a kiln and then drop them into ice water rather than just heat the bits with a torch then drop them into ice water? Would the cracking and crackling results somehow be better out of the kiln's heat? I'm quessing you'd for sure have to pull these pieces out of a side loading annealing kiln, right? I feel like I'm missing something here. Probably something embarassingly obvious. Oh well! If this is a stupid question I'm sure it won't be my last! :P

Thanks!

Lil
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2005, 11:55 AM
St. Louis,MO

Hails from United States

If you do this from the kiln, the entire piece fractures without getting hands on hot glass. Stubbies are difficult to heat without heating fingers.
Using the torch it is difficult to get the entire piece hot enough to fracture.
Joan
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2005, 12:18 PM

Thanks for your reply. I knew it had to be a simple explaination. I guess I was thinking that you could hold the bit of rod in the flame using the hemostats but now that I think about it I guess those suckers would heat up pretty fast too. Ouch!

Just grabbing them quickly from the kiln wouldn't get the hemostats heated up...okie doke...I get ya. Thanks again.

#65   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Nevada

Hails from United States

Mark, This thread, like so many others you have shared, has great information to use. I personally want to thank you for your time and effort for your contributions. I used an earlier thread by you, on how to build your own ventilation system and I know you saved me a lot of $$$$ with that thread also. I look forward to your future information.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast
Kansas

Hails from United States

Thank you Mark! That is great. How do you put the pipe into the base? Or should I say how does it stand up to be pounded on. I would love to do this. Get some of my frustrations out.

Failure is not an option.
Success is bliss!
www.noahsbark.biz
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2007, 02:22 AM
Waldron Indiana

Hails from United States

Bumping time Just make one of your crushers works great, but I added a handel makes it ezr to hold/carry. mine is 18'x1.5' with a 24' long crusher. I will try an post a pic.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

i like your design!!!!! i will have to make one as well. thanks for posting it!!!!
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

WOW Mark! Thanks for the frit-making tut! Your photos are wonderful ... and it looks like you got very nice grades of glass!

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

you can use the scraps from stained glass, fused glass, or patio stone projects to make frit as well. also short pieces of lampworking rods. everything get used.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Missouri

Hails from United States

Mark, you had mentioned that the glass you got from Gabbert glass was 90 COE. I browsed the site and only some of the glass offerings mentioned what the COE was for the example of glass. I guess the ones without the COE listed they must not know what it is so you have to choose from the tested ones. My question is whether you think the 90 COE frit you make from this glass would be suitable for fusing with Bullseye. I realize bead making is a little looser because of the small size of the beads. Thanks in advance for your help.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafechild
My question is whether you think the 90 COE frit you make from this glass would be suitable for fusing with Bullseye.

Yes, i use it all the time with bullseye, and uroborous 90.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast
Bucksport ME

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD-W
Yes, I know what you mean about the tiny specks in frit made with a garbage disposal or coffee grinder...I demonstrated the coffee grinder technique with a smile in my first glass video, Making Beads with Stained Glass Remnants. In the days when I made that video, there was so little knowledge about how to do a variety of things we do now. I feel awful about that little segment and when I turn it into a DVD, I will remove it. Many of you cannot imagine how little info there was around on glass bead making in those early years. Thank goodness bead people in this country have always been about sharing their experiments and torch info. This is why glass bead making in the USA is probably the most advanced. Yea Wet Canvas!

Kate,

I wouldn't remove the segment entirely. Instead, make comments first about the progression of glass informaion and tell people to use a magnet to remove metal specks and then say "to prove my point, here is the original sequence on making frit." I love the video and too many are in circulation for you to have regrets about but to update your info would be "da bomb."

Just my thoughts- along with my thanks for the info in all of your vid's.

Sue
The present is a gift
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2007, 04:38 AM

Pipe is Galvanized "Galvanized means Iron (Steel) is coated with Zinc." Zinc is toxic. Using steel is also a NO-NO, steel is coated with Mill Scale all the impurities in metal, when steel is made it coates the steel like a outer skin, has to be grinded completly off, otherwise it ends up in your frit.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

yes stainless steel is the best way to go, but i have been useing my galvinized frit crusher for years, and i have never had zinc flakeing off. you overstate the health issues with zinc.