WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2003, 09:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by FairySaddle
Do they have a catalog? Nancy

i don't know of a catalog, but i have posted a copy of their product information and price list at yahoo. it requires a much higher resolution than can be posted here. i will also post this in the glassblowing_topics discussion group at yahoo, but that requires that you register as a member, so i linked it here as well.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/laserglas...c=ph%26.view=t

all the glass marked is compatible with 4C cullet which i use. if you use spectrum cullet, you can use the glasses in the 94 to 96 range.

the best way to use this glass is to form a coop and buy in bulk. for example, get 50 pounds of red, 50 pounds of blue. get the order to a few hundred pounds, then split it up among several people. i don't know what the minimum order is. i sure don't take much glass to make a bead, so 50 pounds might last a while.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2003, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast
the Deep South

Hails from United States
I have a suggestion for screening your frit into different sizes. I saw this at an enameling workshop I took a zillion years ago.

Get different sizes metal mesh from a good hardware store, or small parts. Collect 3-4 identical sour cream or yogurt containers. Cut the bottom off of these. Place one of the screens over the cut bottom, then put aluminum foil over that.
Turn your iron on high, and place flat against the foil until it
begins to melt. (this stinks, don't breathe in the fumes-).
Voila, the screen is fused to the bottom of the container.
Trim the excess screening off. Then layer the containers, one
inside the other, biggest screen on top, smallest on the bottom.
Put the frit in the top, put a lid on it, and shake it like a sifter.
The frit shakes out into different sizes, which are contained by
the screens. (is this clear??). Below is a container I made to
strain beads into after soaking in lime away:

My blog
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2003, 11:04 AM
A Local Legend
Saint George Island, FL & Stafford Springs, CT

Hails from United States
Mark - do you realize how many people must think of you when they use your tips and techniques and are saying to themselves "thank you mark!" or in some cases "thank you mike!". When I make my "Mark's Glass Crusher" that's what I'll be saying.

pat

A great exercise for the heart is to reach down and lift someone up.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

Mark..... Great Job......... Sam Boot our buddy here on the WC makes frit crushers hes really a great guy, if anyone is looking for one and dosent want to make own he will...... I love mine........ I call them Sammys Crusher.... StacyLynne

My Etsy
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2003, 02:28 AM
TwinCities, MN

Hails from United States
Hi Mark

This is my first post on WetCanvas. I think I'll be spending some time here. Seems like a good group of glass folks.

The crusher looks great. I've used the ole garbage disposal method, but it created too much fine frit and powder, even after I drilled the openings larger for the glass to be ejected through. I also found that the powder and the fine frit were not usable due to small metal filings that ended up in the glass. You could try to get the metal out with a magnet, but you never really do get it all out. Just isn’t worth the frustration of having small specs of black junk in your finished project.

Going by what I saw in your pictures you don't get a whole lot of the smaller stuff with your crusher. So, I guess the issue of metal in the glass isn't an issue with your method, right?

Have you heard of anyone heating glass in a kiln then dropping it in a bucket of water to make frit? I'm tempted to try this, since there would absolutely be no possibility of metal getting in the glass, and it seems a very quick way to do a lot of glass.

But since I haven't tried it I don't know what the drawbacks might be.

Thanks again for the idea, and looking forward to reading more of your posts.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2003, 07:33 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by joe bunda
I guess the issue of metal in the glass isn't an issue with your method, right? Have you heard of anyone heating glass in a kiln then dropping it in a bucket of water to make frit?

some metal may have flaked off the first few times i used it, but i don't get any now. yes you can heat the glass to 1000 then dump it into water to crack the glass into small pieces, but you still need to wack it to crack it.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2004, 02:43 PM
Akron, Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: How to make your own frit and save money!!!

I just found this. I think it is so helpful it desevces a *bump*. Now I am off to the hardware store... thanks Mark!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast
Davenport, FL

Hails from United States

And I'm bumping this again, because it is such an AWESOME tutorial!

Thanks, Mark, for all your help.

Blessings,
Leslie
who looks at her gazing ball every day and thinks of you!
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 12:32 AM
A Local Legend
The Carolinas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SistersBeads
And I'm bumping this again, because it is such an AWESOME tutorial!

Thanks, Mark, for all your help.

Blessings,
Leslie
who looks at her gazing ball every day and thinks of you!

Yes it is, again, Thanks Mark, we would be lost without you.
Beth
"In the South, the breeze blows softer...neighbors are friendlier, nosier, and more talkative. (By contrast with the Yankee, the Southerner never uses one word when ten or twenty will do)...This is a different place. Our way of thinking is different, as are our ways of seeing, laughing, singing, eating, meeting and parting. Nothing about us is quite the same as in the country to the north and west. What we carry in our memories is different too, and that may explain everything else." --Charles Kuralt in "Southerners: Portrait of a People"
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Alberta

Hails from Canada

Hey Ann
What a fantastic idea! I never would've thought of that! Using an iron to melt the plastic container into the mesh....had I even thought of trying to make different sized screens, I'm afraid I'd dug out the ol' duck tape to attach the mesh to the containers. Melting it in is waaaaaaay neater. Thank you so much for the tip.
Julie
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella2
I have a suggestion for screening your frit into different sizes. I saw this at an enameling workshop I took a zillion years ago.

Get different sizes metal mesh from a good hardware store, or small parts. Collect 3-4 identical sour cream or yogurt containers. Cut the bottom off of these. Place one of the screens over the cut bottom, then put aluminum foil over that.
Turn your iron on high, and place flat against the foil until it
begins to melt. (this stinks, don't breathe in the fumes-).
Voila, the screen is fused to the bottom of the container.
Trim the excess screening off. Then layer the containers, one
inside the other, biggest screen on top, smallest on the bottom.
Put the frit in the top, put a lid on it, and shake it like a sifter.
The frit shakes out into different sizes, which are contained by
the screens. (is this clear??). Below is a container I made to
strain beads into after soaking in lime away:

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

thanks to leslie and beth for bumping this up again. it will settle into the mud soon enough, but you guys have always been kind to me, so i thought i would take a moment and thank you publicly.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Belmont, MI

Hails from United States

Mark - it's all been said before - but THANK YOU!! What a guy - to give so much of your time to the rest of us! I've been really frustrated with frit (and the lack thereof) lately...I may have to visit my Home Depot this afternoon. I've been making small batches in my little Krups Coffee Grinder though - it's not too bad if you tip it upside down and shake the glass "up" into the spinning blades. Otherwise you end up with more powder (I like medium frit myself) than frit.

Your method strikes me (pun intended!) as more consistent and also providing great opportunity to vent some frustrations !!!

Thanks again!!

...."dance like nobody's watchin".....

Norma Brink Glass Arts
Check out my EBAY STORE
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma623
opportunity to vent some frustrations !!!

Thanks again!!

yes, just pretend the glass you are hammering is the head of one of the political groups flooding the TV with their nasty commercials.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Belmont, MI

Hails from United States

.....but then I'd end up with useless ultra-fine dust (sorta like what's in their heads!).....

2nd Tues. in November can't come soon enough for me!

...."dance like nobody's watchin".....

Norma Brink Glass Arts
Check out my EBAY STORE
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2004, 06:48 PM
A Local Legend
The Carolinas

Hails from United States

Sending your great information around yet again Mark, thank you!
"In the South, the breeze blows softer...neighbors are friendlier, nosier, and more talkative. (By contrast with the Yankee, the Southerner never uses one word when ten or twenty will do)...This is a different place. Our way of thinking is different, as are our ways of seeing, laughing, singing, eating, meeting and parting. Nothing about us is quite the same as in the country to the north and west. What we carry in our memories is different too, and that may explain everything else." --Charles Kuralt in "Southerners: Portrait of a People"