WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2005, 01:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Explore Soft Pastels-Feb. 2005- composition 1

Grasshopper, this is really beautiful! I'm so glad the technique has sparked a new response from you... I agree, I don't know exactlywhat it is that happens, but drawing and painting upside down is a different focus. I love the delicate color work you've begun, and it really does look like him. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2005, 11:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
In the land of dreams

Hails from Brazil

Hi dee just bought a basic little set of pastel!!!

Tomorrow I wil post something here. Where is the march ESP? I dont wanna loose this everymonth. I think ESP will be a good way to have fun with SP.

I catchup if you guys tomorrow.

Choose only one master - Nature ~ Rembrandt van Rijn
One learns how to paint while failing. ~ Jean-Baptiste Chardin
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2005, 11:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Glad you want to join us, Rose! You can find the other ESP threads in The Pastel Library.

I hope to post a new ESP (for March--how did it get to be March already??) but it will be a couple of days, so show us what you do!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2005, 01:19 PM
In the land of dreams

Hails from Brazil

Hi Dee thanks for welcoming me onboard on this new media. I am enjoying a lot all the media I have beeing trying, but my heart belongs to the oil I am afraid. Nevertheless, there is still enough room for other fun things. I am very flexible and I get bored to do always the same thing.

Hey! I just asked for the march because I couldnt find it. It was not an arrogant request.

By the way the feb was supperb. Thanks for taking the time to put on such nice thread.

I did just a sketch on upside drawing, that is why not many details on it. I have that book. I think I said that before.
About the composition, I have put the animals a little bit higher, to have more room for the grass on the bottom. I picked something very difficult for me, never really tried this kind of texture before. Not even in oils. Another thing is the fact that when I put for example the dark green (there are only two in the set - dark and light), it looks dark. but when I blend it goes so light. in the bottom I used some black to see it could keep it dark. worked just about, but still made the green look dirty and not really darken it. so I just tryed the texture of the grass and did really blend it. Dont know if I did right on this one.

Sorry about the pics it is not so good.

Going to check the pastel library soon and wait for the march one.
Attached Images

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2005, 12:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Rose, it looks very good! I love your compositional change--and that little lamb looks very fluffy all snuggled next to mama. The contrast of the textures is working quite well.

To darken the green you might try layering instead of blending. Where you need it darker use the big, flat side of the pastel to lay down some strokes of dark blue, purple or even black (or all of these!) and cover with strokes of your darkest green. Where the grass is lighter use yellow, peach or gold under the light green. You can then use the point or sharp edge of the pastel to stroke in the blades of grass with your two greens. You could apply this idea to any of the textures--the wooly lamb and the ragged mama sheep.

What kind of paper are you using? With pastels it really pays off to have more tooth, which is why I like sandpaper so much. Wallis is my favorite but there are others that are good, too. The pads they call pastel or charcoal paper really challenge beginners, because there is more nap than tooth. I always have my beginning students work on sandpaper--and, yes, you can try plain old furniture grade 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper, but it's not archival in any sense! PM Kitty Wallis and get a sample of her paper, if you haven't already.

I wasn't jumping on you about March, Rose! My brain is fuzzy with a cold and I thought you were asking where the older threads were located... I'll get to March before the month wanes if I get over the cold/allergies soon enough to make some demo paintings! If not, we'll make it April. Keep your eyes open.

Thanks for taking part. Anyone else have anything to share??? Now's the time...

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2005, 02:04 PM
In the land of dreams

Hails from Brazil

Hi thanks for the words on it and the tips.

The apple is just from my imagination. MY left side work. I believe I am putting some nice images over there, what do you think? Kidding.

The second one is the landscape reference.

Where I bought the pastel didnt have other brands of paper. I used canson dessin, says in the pad that is good for drawing, for pastel and even for watercolor. I dunno. There is 2 sides one it. ONe smoother, that is the back and the front one is kind of crysp, I dont know how to explain it in english.
I am going to check for the ones you suggest. Art supplies in Brazil is a nightmair to find the best ones. And to come from abroad, I never tried, mas be expensive and need international credit card to buy. Will look around and see. Need some good paper for CP aswell.

Sorry to hear about your cold/allergy, kind of same here. Wish you get better soon.
Attached Images