WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Gloucester UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Explore Soft Pastels-Feb. 2005- composition 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee_artist
If you haven't tried this before, you might want to use this for a practice drawing:

Okay, first off, DO NOT name the things in this image. Just print it, keeping it upside down as much as you can. Then do a simple line drawing with it upside down.
Deborah

Hi Deborah,

This is the first time I've tried this, so here's my attempt

I think the little guy looks a bit chubby in mine, is this ok ?
I'm going to have a go at colouring it in now.

Ron.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 01:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Paula—Didja draw something??? You said “right now”, so…? Show us!!

Natalie—I assume you did this one upside down, so how do you feel it went? Was it easier, harder, fun, frustrating? It looks great! This little boy is adorable, to start with, and you’ve caught his vulnerable look, I think. Very good work. Let us see how it looks as you paint it, too.

Ron—Yay! You did it! Thanks! I was beginning to wonder if anyone would use my examples… I turned it right side up to see how you did and I think you should be pleased! I have no trouble seeing what it is. My question is the same to you—did you find it easier to draw this way? I’m looking forward to seeing your results… Hope you'll share your progress.

My question to all of you who have done drawings is: how might you improve on the composition? Maybe in the current one you'll go on without changing, but as you do, ask yourself how you might improve on it if you were to paint it over again. Could you move an element, leave something out, add a bit somewhere? How could you rearrange the SHAPES in the picture to improve it? Look at it upside down or sideways to see where you could strengthen the composition.

Jackie—You’re right. This doesn’t work much on location. Just try asking a tree to turn upside down for you…they never cooperate.

I find when I turn the drawing over I see a sort of slant to things, as if I did it with my off hand, which has to be corrected. As I’ve practiced this over the years, however, my accuracy has improved.

I also notice that this exercise helps me see things that I can't figure out otherwise...for instance, when I'm painting architecture I draw it upside down and that helps a LOT! I seem not to be good at geometrics (part of the reason I favor landscapes, I guess--so few straight lines and right angles to bother with!)

Okay, this is getting good! I can't wait to see what others have to contribute!!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Immortalized
near South Padre Island

Hails from United States

Hi Deborah,
Ty for this wonderful class.
Wow I read Betty Edwards book and do believe in this but always forget to use it. I am currently working on a horse with its mouth open (looks like a talking Mr Ed only in chocolate). My mind is drawing it the way I think a horse should look, instead of how it really is. I was just telling my JayD's 101 course, classmate Judi in a pm about this exact thing. lol
I am at a standstill with the muzzle and mouth right now.
I will turn both ref pic and my drawing over and work again.
After I am done and satisfied I will post the b4 upside drawing and after.
Thanks again for this.

Last edited by sultry : 02-12-2005 at 03:05 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 04:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

You're more than welcome for the reminder, Sultry! Can't wait to see your next post... I have a mental image of Mr. Ed with chocolate all over his mouth! I suspect your painting won't look at all like that, but...sorry..my imagination....

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Immortalized
near South Padre Island

Hails from United States

lol, no he is a brown horse with his mouth open lol. I think right now I made him look like he is eating chocolate and peanut butter lol his mouth looks so deformed. Or the batman Joker horse. lol but when I am done I will post ref pic, bad drawing and after drawing. I promise. lol its my BF birthday so it may not be till tomorrow. We have a party to go to

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Gloucester UK

Quote:
My question is the same to you—did you find it easier to draw this way?
Deborah

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for doing this thread.

Yes, as I'm not very good at drawing doing it upside down and just following what I was looking at, instead of trying to draw it, was much easier

I'll post a progress tomorrow.

Ron.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 09:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Paula—Didja draw something??? You said “right now”, so…? Show us!!

OK OK. Here is one I did today (got too sleepy last night sorry). It was much easier to draw this up-side-down when my brain wasn't telling me that this image was a frog. It's still pretty bad though...but I'm trying. The original photo is in the image library and was taken by MonicaB (thank you!!).

original image
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...cat=all&page=1

Paula
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 11:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Paula, I just had to laugh! I was picturing some guy dressed up in a frog suit when I saw this!! I think it's quite accurate and interesting. I like the way you simplified it, leaving out anything that wasn't BIG and green(ish). Thanks for sharing!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Dee, thank you for your comments and yes I did draw this upside down and found it much easier, I did not use my eraser half as much as usual. This is on watercolour paper which I have not used before but thought it would be alright to practice on. I have now painted little Mr. Adorable - I hope you like him.

The surest way to have happiness and peace of mind is to give them to someone else.

Last edited by Natalie NZ : 02-13-2005 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Missed picture
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2005, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Gloucester UK

Quote:

I’m looking forward to seeing your results… Hope you'll share your progress.

Deborah

Hi Deborah,

Progress so far.

Going to start work on the lighter areas today.
Ron.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Alberta

Hails from Canada

Ok I tried it. Just a real fast one without too many corrections. I never changed anything after I flipped it over to show how it actually turned out. I was quite intimidating and since I was looking at my computer screen there wasn't a lot of detail to get bogged into which I think I tend to do.

Do you always tone your paper first. Is that the secret to blending and not having the little dandruffy specks? I'm new to pastel but loving it. 8 people so far have looked at my pony but no comments

should I take that as a sign?

Anyway I was impressed with how proportional it came out. I see many fixes and some things I missed but overall a good experience and I'll do it again.

Thanks for all the tips and will keep tuning in for more. Sissy
Attached Images

Last edited by Sissy Riley : 02-13-2005 at 03:18 PM. Reason: right up the photo
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2005, 04:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

This looks great, Sissy! So glad you gave it a try... It looks like the perfect kind of subject to use, since it's a figure and ground (which keeps it simple) but has the complexity of the folds. If over-detailing is a problem I think you've done a nice job of achieving enough here, without overdoing it. Very nice!!

You have a good opportunity to create some exciting color with this one too. (And your pony shows that you love color...I'll comment on it over there...)

I always tone white Wallis paper before beginning, because when it has a light tone of pastel across it the lines and colors laid down are essentially erasable. I use my foam brush (just the common everyday ones used to paint house trim) to briskly rub in a light layer of pastel in any color, then if I muff a charcoal line or stroke of color I use it to dab off the offending part and begin again.

What kind of paper are you using for this one? I'm not sure what you mean by dandruffy specks, unless you're getting some of the paper's fibers rubbed up. That's why I like to use a hard, sanded paper such as Wallis. No such problem with this paper. It's "victim paper", as Julie (SBJ) has dubbed it--it loves to take a beating 'cause nothing bothers it much!

Let us see the painting as it progresses, too!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Alberta

Hails from Canada

Thanks for getting back. This was just done in my sketch book Bienfang 70lb. 9x12. when I saw the photos side by side I saw how squat she is. I don't think I'll change that though. Maybe thin her out a little.

The horse is done on 60lb Strathmore sketch 400 series. 11x14.

I definately will do the toning because of the line correction. Also I wanted to ask in your landscape pic you did an underpainting do you always do this as well?

I'll go read my Pony comments now.

Sissy
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I forgot to mention when I posted my painting that I would appreciate C and C's to help my learning.

The surest way to have happiness and peace of mind is to give them to someone else.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Derby, New York

Hails from United States

So Let me see if this is right. Take a piece of wallis paper, take say a light gray pastel rub it all over the paper then use the form brush to work it in. If you use vine charcol on it and make a mistake it will come right off. Do I have that right. I would like to try the sheep but am not sure if underpainting of grays should be down first. And if that is it then when the greens are applied it would be darker. Please let me know I am new to this.
Thank You Betty