WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
Re: December ESP: The Colour of Magic

Here's my homework...I maybe should have stuck with one brand as some of my sticks stuck!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Norwich, England

Hails from England

I started the assignments but combined the two primaries with the colourwheel as that is how I worked with watercolour.
All W & N: Reds - Quinacridone Magenta (violet bias) and Scarlet Lake (orange bias); Yellows - Winsor Lemon (green bias) and Winsor Yellow (orange bias); Blues - Cerulean Blue Hue (green bias) and French Ultramarine (violet bias). The yellows weren't the best choices but they were the best available at present. I'll have a go at toning and tinting tomorrow.

Ruth

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Norwich, England

Hails from England

I did the mixing same biased and different biased colours too (procrastinating on the toning and tinting).

Although I don't understand this fully I think the colours we see are just a matter of which colour lights are being reflected by the surface. A green biased yellow is reflecting yellow and some green and when mixed with a green biased blue which reflects blue and some green we see the green. If we use a blue (violet biased -reflects blue and some violet) or yellow (red biased -reflects yellow and some red) or both that aren't green biased there is just a lot less green there to reflect. Michael Wilcox's book 'Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green' explains it in some detail.

This thread is great fun - I haven't done this for ages.

Ruth

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2004, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Norwich, England

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBabyJ
We keep buying and buying more and more pastels, different sets, different colours, searching for the "perfect" blue, red, pink, green, yellow- whatever- hoping that when we find it, it'll be the one stick that makes the difference- NOW our paintings will start to sing. What a waste- of both money and the opportunity to learn! MAKE the colour you think you lack by layering the ones you have- the results are so much richer than if you grab that $4.00 stick of handrolled-between-a-possible-virgin's-thighs and lay in a wide swathe of it.
Thank you for the reminder - in watercolour I was happy with 12 tubes of paint on moving to pastel 'cos they are so yummy I could quite happily accumulate thousands of sticks. That meant I felt I couldn't work plein air as everything was so cumbersome. So my challenge for 2005 is to put together a kit of 13 pastels to plein air with (because I am going to add black) and get out there and just do it. I may be able to get back to 12 or less as 1 or 2 of the watercolours were there for their transluscent quality rather than their hue and they won't be very transcluscent as a pastel .

Here is my blue tonal strip and my apple although I could have done with 5 rather than 3 tones as I got stuck as the shaded apple was the same tone as the its cast shadow but the line where they joined was darker. So I could have done with a darker dark and the area between the dark cast shadow and the table was somewhere between dark and mid tone.

Many thanks for the lesson Julie, I was well overdue doing these experiments with pastels.

Ruth

Last edited by Ruth Grinstead : 12-13-2004 at 05:57 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Mooresville, NC

Hails from United States

Thank you so much, Julie and Deborah. I have laboriously copied (cut & paste) this entire post to it's own special file and I promise I will faithfully do the assignments. I've referred to it already several times for much needed and appreciated help. There is such a wealth of useful information here I was afraid it would somehow disappear from the site when I wasn't looking.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2005, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Gloucester UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi this is my first post so be gentle with me, a few months ago the wife dragged me along to a half day "painting with pastels" workshop. I haven't done any art since leaving school (about 35 years) and I was rubbish then, but I did enjoy it and found it very stress reliving. I found WC while looking for some pointers, now I have so much information I don't quite know were to start, so I've started here.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/atta...d=209591&stc=1
This is my attempt at the colour wheel, on the left following the instructions, on the right trying to use assorted colours from my pastel box to try and understand what colours fit where on the wheel.

Below is a couple of paintings that I've done so far, hopefully as I read, practise and learn my work will improve.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/atta...d=209593&stc=1
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/atta...d=209592&stc=1
Thank you Julie for the exercise I'm going to try the other as well.
Ron.
Attached Images

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2005, 12:40 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

Welcome, Y'all- Ruth- that's a whole lotta work you did, hope you feel it solidified some things for you. Homework's never considered something "fun", but it has its purpose in that the more ways we put something into our brain, the easier and faster it is for us to get to it again- like a path through the woods- a well-worn one is much easier to follow.

Ron- you see colour like I do- bright, pure and singing- this is a blessing and a curse. Means we can always *name* the colour, but we often can't *find* the colour in our palette. S'okay, just means we get to play more making it up.