WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2004, 06:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Re: ESP (explore soft pastel)--August 2004: scumble, glaze and feather

Quaking in my knickers here - Dee hasn't commented, so she's probably sitting at her easel showing me how I should have done it.

BTW Dee - if you wouldn't mind, how about a demo on how to do those darn bushes in the front -
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2004, 06:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

ROFL! Oh, if only, Kat. No, been on the net all day looking for a new place for my mom to live...what a headache! On to the comments, then...

Wow--I love the painting as a whole, Kat--don't you? The colors of those mountains are lovely, the lyrical purples and blues--very nice! And the sky is really neat. It sets the mood of the whole painting. Did you lay down blues and then glaze in the yellows? It looks like the scumbled rocks came out well, too. I think you should be very pleased with this one.

I think feathering with a black pstel pencil is slightly harder than with the charcoal, so next time in pick up a few sticks. I like the Grumbacher.

As for the bushes, whatsamatter with these? Nothing! I think they look great... I'll see what I can do for you in terms of a demo on the bushes, but I don't fault what you did!

For a finished painting the only thing I'd suggest is adding an element theat goes up on the righthand side, since all is sort of tipped that way. Maybe the greenish hillside could rise up slightly.

All in all, it looks like you did it, girl! What did you learn?

Anyone else, now that brave Kat has gone first??? C'mon, you can do it!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2004, 07:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

On a whole, I do like this painting - but I got snagged on the bushes - This painting was singing to me, but the stick of doom got me when I couldn't come up with the right colors for the bushes. I tried every color combination, but nothing looked right. I think it brings down the quality of the painting drastically, for me at least - remember I saw the possibilities of this painting before the bushes.

I glazed yellow over turquoise blue - so that was successful and fairly easy to do.

The feathering was fun! I placed all my colors where I wanted them, then feathered and it was like magic - everything came together. This was the best!

I have been struggling with trees and bushes lately - spending way too much time trying to figure it out. When you asked that we scumble the foreground, I knew I was in trouble, 'cause I couldn't figure out how to scumble bushes. I started off with a very dark green, with bits of rusty red, topped off with a dusty turquoise for those lighter bushes in the back. It really looked lame. Then I went with browns and yellows - nada. This one is the same blue as the mountains, with the rusty red, and bunches of other colors I can't even remember. But it should be easier than this. Had the same trouble with the grasses on my boat painting in OP's. Just not getting it.

But now that I've done a dusty again, I want to do more! I've learned a lot in OP's - how to plan more, how to figure out where I want my colors, highlights - I plan more in my head than I used to.

Thanks again Deborah!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Beautiful Berkeley, California!

Hails from United States

Well, I can see what I'll be doing for the next few days... I said I wanted to paint, and here's lesson and demos, all laid out, just daring me to ignore them! Deb, this has all the makings and fine photo demonstration for a new book! and Julie and Kat, lovely work--I will do my best to bring the quality level back down to "beginner", hopefully starting tomorrow...
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Well, all I can say is.......I tried, exercise # 1 that is. Honestly Deborah, this is harder then I thought. I suppose I've never really been cognitive of the techniques I use when painting portraits. Maybe I have scumbled the odd time, but I don't think it happened during the making of this sketch. I believe this sketch is more about cross hatching than scumbling. What do you think????

Attached please find the initial charcoal sketch as well as final product.

Thanks!!

Heather
Attached Images

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2004, 09:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I think this is lovely, Heather. Yes, it is a bit more crosshatched than scumbled, but it works in so many ways. I adore the variety of colors you used here. They're just luscious.

You might try using a more random stroke on the next experiment to see how that works. Think controlled scribbling. You can lay down the edge of the orange without scumbling, then use the scribble stroke to enhance the parts of the orange where the texture is apparent.

Please don't consider this a flop--it's really a neat experiment! Betcha learned a lot from it, too. Anything I learn from I consider a success. Hmmmm, I'm wondering if this might be more like feathering a la Jackie... Not sure, since I haven't seen her style. I hope we get a demo of that someday!

Are you planning to do the next one, the green apple? If so, I want to see it!

Thanks for playing with us.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks Deborah!!

I thought i'd post my attempt at assign #2. It's not done yet. I'm a little apprehensive about the glazing part. I think I need you to hold my hand through this Deborah. I almost threw this thing out yesterday, but thought better of it. I'm turning to you now, for a little help. The background did not turn out the way I'd planned, I need to knock it back. I'm also unsure as to what colour to use for glazing the apple? Maybe I should blame it on the ground colour, ha ha! Perhaps I should have chosen a little colour.

I hope others are going to try this???

Anyway, here it is.

Thanks

Heather
Attached Images

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2004, 10:18 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Heather, I'm just so glad you're giving this a try. Here's my analysis...I think you need to stop relying on the point of the pastel stick and turn it on its side. Stroke over the entire apple with a light coat of the yellow-green color, even if you should overlap the edges and background. You can clean them up later, as you normally would. The crosshatching in the shadow and fore might be more scumbled. Try using a more random, scribbly stroke over it. You can also try feathering the far background with a long stick of charcoal or a pastel pencil. Hold it at the base loosely and let it wander in a quick, very light stroke over the entire reddish-orange upright plane in the background. It will become somewhat more muted that way.

I'll post a demo sometime today with more specific strokes--and I do hope some of the others will also give this a try!

Thanks Heather--I''m holding your hand!!!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Dee, thank you for your time, effort, detail, explanations, demo's, close-ups---->>>everthing a beginner could ask for!!!! In fact it was just a couple of days ago I was talking(whining ) to Sue that I needed more and WOW, here it is. Now except for that lurking fear. . . I have no excuses. . . I love that you have included the fruit. I've been struggling with a tomato and finally did it in graphite cause I couldn't figure out how to go about it. Now I can give it another whirl. Dee I can't thank you enough for this thread!
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Forgive me for doing my own thing, but I had started on these a couple days ago and really wanted to see if i could finish them. Turns out I can finish, but I need serious help. This is my second attempt at the soft pastel. The 2 are done a little differently. I had already blended the first one(our left) when I found this thread. The second one I tried the glazing when I couldn't seem to get the hang of the scumbling, which felt really hard. I will conform to the projects now. Oh dear. .. *sigh*

questions: 1. how does one achieve a really sharp edge?
2. if I was to do the background toning, and I make a mistake- how does one correct without losing the background too?

cindy
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

HaHaHa! Thanks Deborah. Yes, I'll have to break the habit of using the pointy edge, may take longer than I thought. You see, I've been painting beasties for far too long, the apple looks quite hairy, doesn't it. Don't think i've drawn fruities before. I will make the necessary changes to night and will post later.

Thanks again!

Heather
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2004, 05:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Here's another demo for you on scumbling. I took some pix in progress.

Here are some detail shots from the underpainting:

This is the first completed layer:

Then the final painting:

and some close-ups of it:

I hope you can see that the stroke is loose and ovrlapped, as are the colors. It isn't a winner of a painting, but I was more concerned with showing you the strokes up close than making it beautiful!

Does this help? I hope so... What else do you want to know about scumbling?

I'll try to work on the glazing and feathering soon, if this helps, so that you can see a little WIP on each one.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2004, 05:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Cindy, how sharp an edge do you want? This looks pretty sharp to me! As for corrections, what I do is wipe out background and what's in front and do it over--sometimes you have to! That's why painting is like a dance: you put your colors in, you take them out, you put them in, you take them out....

Heather, it's not hairy--it's 'loose' and 'painterly'! Just thought maybe you could add to your repertoire a bit. You do those critters sooooo beautifully.

Maybe my new demo will answer some questions for both of you! Hope so.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2004, 05:17 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada

I'm still here! Hoping to start mine later today.Got carried away with a charcoal sketch instead
Wonderful examples from everybody so far WOW!!!

Meisie
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Oh, this is definitely adding to my reperitoire, Deborah! I have not had any formal instruction for such a long while, and I am sooooo grateful for this. Your recent demmo has been very enlightening. I find your underpainting quite fascinating. No wonder your paintings are so rich and full of depth.

For the plate it looks as though you've worked dark over light, is my observation correct? What were the colours you used, and in what order did you use them. Did you use all three of your techniques here? I see the scumbling more clearly now. Is the entire plate done with this technique.......... Or, Did you blend with any sort of tool, ie foam brush or blending brush? The reason I ask is that the end result is so smooth, seems hard to believe it's done done with scumbling technique. The orange however does look scumbled.

Thanks so much for all of this!

Heather