WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: What kind of glass do you have?
Moretti 632 94.33%
Vetrofond 426 63.58%
Lauscha 441 65.82%
Czech 133 19.85%
Spectrum 186 27.76%
Uroborus 144 21.49%
Wasser 48 7.16%
Kinari 16 2.39%
Satake 49 7.31%
Northstar 155 23.13%
Glass Alchemy 148 22.09%
Colormax 21 3.13%
Youghiogheny 48 7.16%
Chicago Art 18 2.69%
Kokomo 54 8.06%
Other, please specify in post 195 29.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2004, 08:42 AM
NC

Hails from United States
Re: FIXED AGAIN! What kind of glass do you have?

At the moment I only have Moretti. Can't wait to try some of the Vetrofond and Lauscha since these are compatible with Moretti?? Been wanting to buy some sheet glass for fusing and slumping. I bought a bigger kiln because I wanted to make sure I could do fusing and slumping and have yet to try it with all the other expensive of getting everything set up; but it's on my famous list of "Must Haves"...gggroflol.....along with a million other glass related things.....
Darlene
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 10:55 AM
A small village along the Rochdale Canal in the UK.

Hails from United Kingdom

As we're still fairly new to the lampworking world and have a Hot Head, we use what's easily available in the UK, which is mostly Moretti/Effetre. We're fortunate to also be able to buy Plowden&Thompson's glass which is British-made and from what we've seen is as good as the Moretti.

We'd love to try more types of glass but they're hard to find in the UK and postage from the US means we end up paying quite a lot if we're only ordering a small amount. Hopefully we'll be able to join up with a few other UK lampworkers to buy in some glass in larger quantities this spring. I personally would love some copper green glass.

-Su
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 12:44 PM

I voted Moretti, Vetrofond and Lauscha but want some Czech real bad. Hopefully soon!
~ Barb
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Munich, Germany

Hails from Germany

I vote for
Moretti, Vetrofont, Lauscha, Spektum(sheet),Satake(sheet) but I have also Bullseye, Schott, Kugler and all kind of frits from Reichenbach,Zimmermann, Gaffer and and... and will bay some Gaffer and Czech and Boro too

my ebay-auktions
my website
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from Morocco

I have everything, but I've been using Bullseye exclusively for a few months.

I like the fact that there are powders, frits, two sizes of stringers, flat glass AND rods. And all of it is tested compatible.

B
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Bisbee Arizona USA

Hails from United States

I have quite a lot of the very old Lauscha, fascinating... and the clear rods that are triangular in shape... I also have about $3,000 of the Plowden and Thompson glass... I occasionally teach in their 17 century glass factory outside Birmingham in England. The glass is very interesting because it is great for sculptural work... I have made little animals for my niece Jordan, in England and I had a load shipped out here several years ago.. I have some of their Uranium glass, though I was afraid it would ring sirens as it went through customs! It didn't. Then I have some of the original glass used for making glass eyes... it is a lovely translucent white. The black has a sort of haematite glow to it if you use it right. Wonderful colors...I am told that Tink is interested in this glass.. have any of you out there used it? Diana East is familiar with it and so is Jazzy Lilly (Pauline), because they too have taught at Plowden and Thompson... actually, they were both in the first class I taught in England many moons ago...onward and upward, tra la...
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Eugene, Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: What kind of glass do you have?

Glass Alchemy
Northstar
Momka

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes...Art is knowing which are to keep."
-Scott Adams

My Website
My Glass Artists Gallery
My All Nature Gallery
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Texas

Hails from United States

I've got glass up the wazoo, which is very painful! Zillions of pounds! For lampworking I usually use 104 COE glass (Moretti, etc), but for fusing I usually use 90 (Bullseye, and Uroboros 90). I only get Bullseye in sheet glass, so it's not hard to keep separate from the 104. It's in plastic shoe boxes which are clearly labeled "BE."

I also use a lot of Spectrum in beadmaking. It's also sheet glass, but I keep it in plastic shoe boxes which are clearly marked.

The hardest thing to keep separate dichro all three types! I usually have my Bullseye dichro in another room, though. Sort of my fusing room vs. my torch room.

BTW, I also separate out the glass according to color ranges for quick reference. I HATE having to pick something out when I've got glasses on.

Kinari? Yes, I've got a few pounds, but I hate the stuff. I'd like to get rid of it, if anyone's interested...
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2005, 04:57 AM
Dunedin

Hails from New Zealand

There seem to be a lot of very important glass manufacturers left out of the poll. I use Ornela. Wish people would stop using the word Czech as there are quite a number of manufacturers in the Czech Republic.
Their uranium yellows are uncomparable. " Anna yellow"
Kugler who also have an anna yellow but it is a totally different colour.
Plowden and Thompson or as it is known. " Dial glass" but many of their colours devitrify readily. Esp the selenium pinks. Their uranium yellow tube is a cased colour of very watery hue. ie pale.
Kugler glass colours but I personally prefer Reichenbach as it is half the price. But in the US all colour glass is out of this world in price. Too high a mark ups. "Greed"
This could be why Gaffer Glass are opening their own warehouse in the UK!
to supply the European market.
And of course Zimmerman that make uncomparable dark opaque greens and bright turquoise's.
Ornela reds yellows and quite a number of other colours are unmatched by anyone but their COE's need looking at for a consistent matching product.
A few Gaffer glass colours but find they are not really all that flame friendly so would not recomend them except as frits to the less experienced lamp worker..
And of course for those uncomparable silver reduction colours. " FLAME DAISYS " Black Death " is a colour that would drive the average bead maker into extasy with its colour variations attainable under reduction. From the jet black transparent base glass through peacock blues with amazing brillance to greens yellows and straw browns and tan. They do not sell it to people other than when you personally visit them and become a known customer.. So dont inquire!
Unless of course you make a trip to their studio in New Zealand then you would recieve a very warm welcome.
If you make a screw up just re oxidise the glass in an oxygen rich flame and presto its back to black for another reduction. Amazing. Truely amazing. I sent a mix of rods, powders and coarse frits to a collegue in Australia recently and they are amazed. Its incredible and to another person but they have not responded yet.
So the list presented is far from representative of what is available world wide.
Regarding the image below.
Sorry about the fuzzy image but I dont own a Digi camera and rely on borrowing one occasionally once a year. Im all fingers and thumbs here.
The red is Ornela. The brighter blue Kugler. White Gaffer and clear my own glass melted at Flame Daisy and hand drawn into sixty foot lengths from three or four kilo gathers. That was an intersting weeks work in Nelson New Zealand...Greens are Reichenbach, Ornela and Zimmerman
A little about the crystal clear. Its The Gaffer master glass recipie but no Sulphate, Carbon or Antimony. Replaced it by Cerium.
Pulling rod across fifty wooden slats like a ladder and cutting it before the next pull a few minutes later. Kept two of us running all day. It took three days to clean the pot out.. Also make a few blown objects and paperweights at the same time.
Virtually got a lifetimes supply of glass and its good. You get no join lines or flame discolouration because of the Cerium used as a fining agent. The reduction of the fining agents "Miss called sooting by the ignorant".
As its of a much lower melting point than the colour. Encasing is babies play. No bubbles. It melts almost like water.
If bubbles are accidently trapped the Flame daisy method easily gets rid of them without distortion of the base glass detail which no other method seems to do..
Occasionally the method is taught at the HOGLUND INTERNATIONAL GLASS CENTRE lamp working classes. If you happen to strike the right tutor.
Kind regards.
Ray Ansin
Alchemist
Http://www.glassbeads.co.nz
Attached Images

Last edited by Ray Ansin : 01-13-2005 at 05:38 AM.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Ummm,whew. I am a newbie and never even heard of alot of those glasses I use moretti and a few bullseye. Has anyone ever melted Armstrong glass in a torch? I tried spectrum but it is shocky.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Texas

Hails from United States

Yes, I've tried Armstrong, along with a number of other "weird" brands, like Gecko. The problem is, you can't mix with anything, sometimes even within the brand itself. That's fine if you want a one color bead, with no stringers or decoration.

I haven't found Spectrum to be shocky. How narrow do you cut the strips, and how do you introduce the glass to the flame? Go easy on any glass, regardless of brand, until it's "ready." I suspect you're just trying to rush in and it can't be done--even with Moretti.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2005, 03:23 AM
Enthusiast
MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasspat
Ummm,whew. I am a newbie and never even heard of alot of those glasses I use moretti and a few bullseye. Has anyone ever melted Armstrong glass in a torch? I tried spectrum but it is shocky.

Can't answer your Armstrong question, but can tell you not to worry about not hearing about the other types of glass. You will be BUYING a lot of it soon enough if your anything like the majority of us
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replys. I am trying the Kay Wilkerson cutting in squares. My biggest problem is when you have the glass melted up make the bead, and then put the punty down while rounding up the bead. The next time I try to intoduce the punty glass into the flame it pops all over. Seems like it really gets cool fast. It would be fun to try Armstrong for filler beads or something because I have so much of it.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Calgary, Alberta

Hails from Canada

I mostly have Northstar with Moretti/Effrete a close second and then some Glass Alchemy, Lauscha, Vetrofond and Bullseye in coloured sheets and clear rods.

- Sandy
www.preciouslittlethings.ca
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2005, 01:33 AM
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

Since I work also with stained glass, I have alot of Spectrum around. I love using in to make unusual color beads, and have been lucky to use it with the Morettie as a stringer designs only.