WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 12:32 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: Sandblaster Recommendations?

This is SO frigging confusing. I need someone to go to the Harbor Freight site and figure out everything I need. The whole PSI/CFM thing has me baffled, too. The CFM changes as the PSI changes, so.....

And I am not finding a siphon system at Harbor Freight. What am I missing?
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 12:35 PM
A Local Legend
Across Puget sound From Seattle

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread
Hi, I started looking for Sandblast equipment about 4 weeks ago.
I bought a cabinet (side opening) from Harbor Freight 70.00 and this week they have the 40lb pressure tank (on wheels) for 70.00 and I think I may pick that up (yes I know need a compressor but I think I can fill and get the pressure tank filled at work or just take everything to work and do it there)
My service manager is drooling about getting a sandblast system with glass beads (supposed to be better but I really havnt got that far) I want this for doing glasses and beads.

Wow...you have a harbor freight too? Natasha and I found one there too on Sunday ...... IN the Seattle area! great prices.

CATS! can't live with them, Can't live without them!
Why do they lay in your path and refuse to move out of your way and then complain bitterly when you trip over them?
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 12:48 PM
Creston, CA

Hails from United States

Here's the page they are on. The yellow one about $40 bucks is a syphon system. I have the pressure pot on top.
You will also need hoses and gages. I can't help you there DH hooked mine up.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...505&pricetype=
Also, you will need media. Harbor Freight doesn't sell Aluminum Oxide or Silica Carbide. Glastar (sp? the grinder people) out of LA carry it. You may want to find it local if you can. I don't think glass beeds will work.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." --Einstein, Albert
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 01:44 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M
There are two types of systems pressure and syphon.... Typically a enclosed chamber type is a syphon system that pulls sand off the bottom of chamber and recycles it over and over again... A pressure system us usually used outdoors and the sand is a consumable product and can not be used over and over again because it is sprayed all over the place.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I would want to get the pressure pot Stephie has because of what Dale says above, I would be better off with the $40 siphon system?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Creston, CA

Hails from United States

No offense Dale, but many sandcarvers use a pressure pot in a cabinet. I think if you posed the question on the sandcarvers board most would say to use a pressure pot. Some that started out with a syphon have switched. That said, what are you planning on doing? If it is just surface etching, then I would go with the syphon system or etching cream (much cheaper). If you plan on doing multistage carving, then I would definetly go with the pressure pot.
As far as reuse, I empty the cabinet into a bucket and fill the pressure pot though a screen to get any large particles. I use SC 220 grit that almost power.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." --Einstein, Albert

Last edited by Stephie R : 02-11-2004 at 01:57 PM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast
Cannington, Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada

Yes sandblasting essentials are confusing

I have the cabinet - that seemed straight forward - have something that will safetly contain the whatever you use

The issue of syphon vs pressure tank - I think pressure tank - they are pretty reasonably priced so rather than spend 40.00 for syphon I'll spend 70.00 for pressure tank and it will grow with me. Of course with a pressure tank you would need or have to have access to a compressor to pressurize the tank after filling. (Each size tank tells you the psi required to run the tank from what I saw) The 20lb tank at HF does not have a guage and the 40Lb does (its 70.00) so I would want something with a guage to tell me what pressure the tank is under (I think)

The guns - now that someone says use foot pedal and light gun handle that sounds best and sensible - although I may play with the one that comes with the pressure tank (and I think I got one with my cabinet).

media - confused still but from what I am gathering here get the SC220 grit?
All harbor freight has is glass beads for blasting - and I guess that wont do?

I want to do beads and I want to sandblast wine glasses (and other stuff to but mainly those)

Have lots of resist.

whew so much cool stuff.

http://www.deborahread.com

Canada ! Home Sweet Home!

"We can do no great things ------only small things with great love." -Mother Teresa

Last edited by dread : 02-11-2004 at 03:40 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

What kind of Respirator do you recommend for sand blasting to filter out the sand and glass dust?

Robert
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Creston, CA

Hails from United States

You will still need an air compressor with a syphon system. The gun that comes with the HF cabinets are for syphon. You attach one hose from the gun to the air and one from the gun to the syphon pot. With a pressure pot, the air and media is mixed before it enters the gun.

As for a respirtator, I don't wear one. The cabinet contains the media. My dust collector is a home made setup. A hose (big like dryer hose) comes out of the cabinet on the side and goes into a plastic top on a metal garbage can. This was purchase for this. Then another hose comes out of the garbage can into a generator looking thing with a cloth bag on it. I think the heavy stuff falls into the trash can so it can be recycled and the generator thing creates the suction. I think a shop vac would do. I'll take some pictures tonight and post them.

The thing about SC is that it can be reused longer. When the media hits the glass it creates new surfaces. Alot of people use 180 grit, but they are taking more material off and want to do it faster. You will get a smoother finish with the 220 and can get greater detail.

Clear as mud?

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Creston, CA

Hails from United States

Here are the pictures, hopefully
Attached Images

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2004, 01:16 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Stephie, where's your compressor? I'm going nuts with this. LOL! I am having a hard time finding a compressor at Harbor Freight that will work with their cabinets and blasters. Maybe it's because I want an oilless compressor?
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2004, 01:28 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread
The 20lb tank at HF does not have a guage and the 40Lb does (its 70.00) so I would want something with a guage to tell me what pressure the tank is under (I think)

I'm having trouble finding a pressure tank and compressor at HF that are compatible. In other words, I can't find a compressor that will deliver the appropriate PSI/CFM combo.

Ack.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2004, 02:03 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Just for yukkks:

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2004, 03:37 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Here's some good stuff

I'm calling them tomorrow.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Creston, CA

Hails from United States

Tink, I think any good sized (not one that would fit into your hand like for air brushing) would work. The one I have now is from Sears. DH had it hooked up to a huge one (like 6 feet tall) from Harbor Freight, but he moved it to his shop. The bigger it is the less it has to recycle (noise). I can't post a picture until Tuesday. I'am at home, in the country, slow internet access. I just went and looked, but it's so dirty I can't see what size it is. It sits on the floor and is about 3 feet long.

I know a syphon system need more pressure to suck up the media. I think it's about 80 psi. I run the pressure pot at about 30 psi, but the foot switch from Rayzist, needs 80 psi to engage, so DH has extra things to make it all work. You might spec out a system at www.rayzist.com or www.photobrasives.com. I wouldn't spend the money they are asking, but it might give you the spec's to get what you need.

I can't help you with the oilless part. I do know mine has something to catch the mosture. DH is driving to where he is working this week. When he calls I'll ask.

Last edited by Stephie R : 02-15-2004 at 06:16 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast
Salad Bowl of the World, Salinas CA.

Hails from United States

Hey people, keep in mind you are not sand blasting a train engine here.... Its a little bead and equipment does not have to BE BIG Small compressors and small SB units may worke quite well....

Dale