WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Abstract and Contemporary Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 02:00 PM

Question for the abstract peeps

So I have been working strictly in oils and obviously drying time, especially when applying texture, is substantial and that is good and bad I think. It is good because alterations and scrape outs are a cake walk, but bad because I like to work alla prima and layer over things is difficult.

My question is how many of you work alla prima versus in stages? I am considering trying to work in stages but it feels so much more difficult as staying in the moment is impossible that way. How do you all get back into a piece after it sits for a while? Do you tend to have an overall plan before starting a piece and you just carry on? Is it still sort of spur of the moment and you just are along for the ride? Do you work in acrylics to avoid this issue? I donít know why, but acrylics just do not feel right for me but maybe I need to give them the good old college try...

Thoughts? Again, not looking specifically for instruction as much as ideas on proceeding...

Thanks for your time!

Bob
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 02:35 PM

Re: Question for the abstract peeps

water based oils dry faster, and still have the feel of oils. Have you tried them?
My acrylic abstracts are very intuitive, and I couldn't wait, I would loose the next idea.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 02:43 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Usually I work in watermedia (gouache, liquid acrylics, ink, wc) or a mix of those and prefer to work in a direct manner meaning all at once. Do not like to wait or work in stages unless I am stumped or unsure where to go with one of them.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 06:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States

I work in both oils and acrylics. Obviously acrylics dry quickly and that's a plus when working all at once and you want to paint over quickly or glaze for an effect. You can work more quickly with oils if you use a drying medium...most manufacturers have them. I use Galkyd by Gamlin with oils so it dries faster. If applied in thin layers, it's only a matter of an hour or so before I can paint over that layer. Now I'm experimenting with cold wax and oils...and you can speed up the drying time (like overnight) by adding Galkyd to the cold wax. Lots of YouTube demos using this. You might like it because you can scrape and cut into layers throughout the painting process. If interested, check out Pamela Caughey on YouTube.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 08:21 PM

I might have to cave and give acrylics a try... Resistance is futile!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

I don't do wet on wet so can not comment. All I can say is you have an amazeing talent for colour and painting and it seems a sound investment for you to study at college further as the look of your work now is amazeing and so if you put your mind to it and college etc wow you could be professional and do well. However as I said don't loose that individuality try to keep that in mind, I mean hone your craft by all means but don't let it dorwn you out at the same time. Master classes on line look good. Actual fine art colleges yeah if you can afford it. Otherwise there are lots of pro artists who got somewhere without all that they just painstakingly gathered info on line fomr books other artists etc but you can learn bad habbits that way and not allways do people know what they on about, and can take longer trying to find it all out.Colleges have the reading material that some libraries don't for example.

Last edited by tidal : 02-24-2020 at 01:44 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 01:47 PM
NY

Hails from United States

I am totally new to this blog. I love the contrast between the total planners vs the spontaneous idea peeps. I am the spontaneous type; especially in abstracts. I guess I would admit I have concepts in my mind, but once the paint hits canvas, I allow it to evolve. That being said, I could never walk away to let it dry for a few days!

Hope you check out my instagram and give me your thoughts:
ladyripleyart
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 03:38 PM

Thanks tidal! I am almost 50 now so going back to school isnít probably going to happen as much as I would like that, but thanks to the internet, so many lessons are available to us all!! I wish I found painting when I was young... I think my life would have gone in a different trajectory but I am so happy I discovered it even at this point in my life! One year in and I cannot believe how much it is influencing my world!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

Also for anyone reading this who can not afford college.. my very intelligent son informed me that there is now a way to get the reading material that they have in universities that you just cannot get anywhere else in fact this is how they made bank by holding onto that information and charging for it to the select few who could afford ..which is basically wrong imho. But there is now a way to access it online all of it...and for free ,there was a book by Barnett Newman I wanted to read but it cost ridiculous money so I think I will be getting that information on line now...happy days ! So art is finally free they can not impose a price tag on it anymore

Last edited by tidal : 02-28-2020 at 04:11 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 08:58 AM
A WC! Legend
Somerset

Hails from England

I figure I'll never be able to recreate the textures in nature, so I'm playing around with the idea of going to the scrap yard and picking up old pieces of mishaped metal, dropping them randomly on to the paper to form rust patterns then follow those patterns with paint including the gradients and the darks and lights. I think in this case I'll have to do it in stages. That is of course copying the patterns on to canvas at some point as I don't know how the rust may affect canvas.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 10:30 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

I re-started community college at 52, got one degree in my field, but then got another degree in Art there.
The interaction between the students and the professors not only helped me a great deal, but I made friends that I still get together with 20 years later. On-line gives me very little feedback compared to other artists watching me paint. And the students and teachers were different each semester.

I also went and got a third degree on-line in an unrelated field and grew to dislike online classes. I like folks, not screens. Having said that, I have been enjoying Wet Canvas since I began, it is friendly and a positive experience, but there is no pressure for grades and graduation and GPA stuff. Just friends talking to friends.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhs
I re-started community college at 52, got one degree in my field, but then got another degree in Art there.
The interaction between the students and the professors not only helped me a great deal, but I made friends that I still get together with 20 years later. On-line gives me very little feedback compared to other artists watching me paint. And the students and teachers were different each semester.

I also went and got a third degree on-line in an unrelated field and grew to dislike online classes. I like folks, not screens. Having said that, I have been enjoying Wet Canvas since I began, it is friendly and a positive experience, but there is no pressure for grades and graduation and GPA stuff. Just friends talking to friends.

Well done sir! I actually would love to do this but my life situation makes it difficult as I have business commitments I cannot walk away from without harming many peopleís lives around me and I live over 100kms away from anywhere I could do classes.

I do try and take workshop stuff when I can squeeze it in but it isnít as often as I would like. Last week I was able to get in a lot of painting because my wife was away and work had a slow blip so I took off the time but now I am back at it and I have trouble getting more than one or two days a week I can squeeze in some brush time. I have a hard time painting at night or early mornings when it is still dark out. The natural light really gets me inspired! Artificial not so much. I need to work on this because I always find I feel so much more alive and contented when I get in a paint session!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2020, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

Ditto Bobby birds ..it makes me hopefull though as I saw someone win the Monet awards some years back and the guy hadn't been to one college he had self taught