WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Abstract and Contemporary Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2020, 04:59 PM

Abstract #4... “On The Ice At Dawn”

I needed to get my head out of Abstract #3, and I am trying to a painting every day until my wife gets home, so this is todays effort. I seem to be drawing from my own experiences etc and this one is no exception. I took inspiration from a photo I took a few weeks back while out ice fishing at the crack of dawn.

Any and all C&C are always welcome!!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2020, 06:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States
Re: Abstract #4... “On The Ice At Dawn”

Quite strong and bold strokes in the sky and rich colors. I feel that the mountains get too much attention breaking your two fields of movement into two parts. Never ice fished but if it's as much fun as your painting, I'd give it a go
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlyHardy
Quite strong and bold strokes in the sky and rich colors. I feel that the mountains get too much attention breaking your two fields of movement into two parts. Never ice fished but if it's as much fun as your painting, I'd give it a go

I hear you... That was a concern which is why I left the paint broken somewhat with them, but I did want some separation because the actually ice is extremely broken up in real life due to frozen tracks, cracks etc and I was concerned without the break it would not mesh together. Really I think this is comes about due to the fact I am trying to replicate a specific scene when maybe I should have just used it as a vibe rather than a scene... Hmmmmmm...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2020, 09:36 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Personally, IMHO, it is the width of the blue line mark-making that takes too much attention. If they were thinner they would be like cracks or scars on the ice, probably could be subtly corrected, but I would leave it alone.

You have such a feel for this style of yours. I am very impressed. I will keep looking forward to more from you.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2020, 10:25 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

A very strong attention-grabber! Love it all.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member

Your use of colour is impressive you have a natural flair for that imho I know for fact I could not handle colour like that straight of or even after being taught lol . So that being said if you read up on values in terms colour ( ie if you made the whole picture here and made it grey scale on a computer you would see where the eye naturally gravitates to as things like brightest white and black is no 1 attention getter for the eye for example it then moves down the scale of intensity ) so then you have knowledge plus your intuitive skill . I say values as you can use this as a tool to balance out the composition in terms of space and weight..if you look at painting in terms as though it were a real live sculpture (or is how I see it anyway) There is a lot right with this it is excellent in many ways ,sad to pick it apart but it's constructive criticism.

Last edited by tidal : 02-23-2020 at 01:19 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 10:21 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

I like it. I would be inclined to do this and that to it and turn it into a more realistic scene and ruin it. So don't do what I would do.

Acrylic? Size?

Good work. Trying to find that edge between abstract and representational is difficult and you did it.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 12:08 PM

No worries about c&c at all folks! I honestly appreciate it all. It is the only way to grow. You need someone else’s eyes to see clearly sometimes!

John, sorry I didn’t post that... It is a 12x12 oil on canvas board.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast
CA

I like this, because I like your color sense.
I had the same issue with the curved blue lines in the foreground. Probably because as crystallized water, ice cracks in an angular fashion. A teensy bit of adjustment might make the difference.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilateral
I like this, because I like your color sense.
I had the same issue with the curved blue lines in the foreground. Probably because as crystallized water, ice cracks in an angular fashion. A teensy bit of adjustment might make the difference.
It was actually re-frozen tire tracks but your point stands none-the-less. I well need to re-look at this for sure! Thanks for the c&c!