WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 03:07 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt 622 Feb 17 - Feb 25

1 key - full page on 9x12 in sketchbook using multiple grades of graphite. I started to use the Lumograph Blacks for the darkest darks but I could not get the smooth look I was going for so I covered it with graphite. Graphite over Lumograph works well but the opposite the Lumograph seems to slide on the graphite.

This started out to be a large loose sketch but ended up a compromise at best.

Keep sketching
Joe

EDIT TO ADD : Looking are it on line I screwed up the ellipse on the screwdriver disk ☹️

Last edited by jmfletch : 02-23-2020 at 03:11 PM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 05:59 PM

Hails from Spain

Pine Cone, quote:"...my giraffe is still unstarted. Can't figure out where to start" You can always start by wetting the paper and then proceed to have a lot of fun . I will honor your request

Jo, I had a birthday celebration yesterday, my godson (and nephew) turned 5.

Joe, glad to see you . I thought you were having fun with the Figuary challenge you talked about, are you working on it as well as on the sketching book?
Great sketch with the key and everything else! Yes, a smooth finish with carbon pencils is difficult to achieve (at least I am unable to do it). The screwdriver -whose egg shape is perfectly believable- reminds me of some multi tools made for bicycles. What's the item on the left?

Some quick ones done with a water soluble graphite pencil and a waterbrush.
1. cooking pot (pressure cooker)
2. stove
3 animal (my cat , two lame and unfinished attempts, she will have to stay still if she wants better results )

Here she is
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 08:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Individuo - Gracias por las amables palabras. Love the shading on the pressure cooker. Drawing live animals is always a challenge.

The item on the end is the key chain fob. The keychain was a commerative gift to all employees for 50th anniversary.

At that time we were owned by Singer Corp. Yes the sewing machine company. I worked for them for 22 years and during that time we had 4 different parent companies before being absorbed by Lockheed Martin in 2002. The original product was an analog computer for load balancing planes.

Probably more than you wanted to know.
Joe
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 09:28 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joe — Thanks so much, and so good to see you! Quote, "working on a book on sketching" - are you writing one I hope? If so, I'll be first in line! If not, please do!

Jo — Aww, thanks! Baseball and Birthday Celebrations! Great combo, and Happy Belated Birthday to Gene and have fun

Joe again — Amazing sketch! Wow, I think I counted 17 distinct shading levels - you even captured the interlaced shadows ☀️ Interesting about the attributes of different pencil combos.

Joe and individuo — Have either of you tried the carbon pencils and/or carbon and graphite together on smooth paper, maybe paper made for pens? I'm thinking of a paper I used to like called "Borden & Riley #234 Paper for Pens" - it might be too smooth for the stuff you both do, but I was just curious. The subtitle is "a smooth bleedproof all purpose paper." I think I remember using it with pencils, but probably wouldn't have tried to go with as much depth of shading and line as you've both achieved. I don't have any carbon pencils to test it with. Wondering if it would smear too much, etc., so thought I'd ask...

individuo again — Oh, a godson Happy Birthday to your newly-minted 5yo nephew ‘ ! ‘ ! ‘ You're both so fortunate to be in each other's lives in the most special of ways 💕

Aww, your beautiful lovely wonderful tabby

the way you sketched her with such truth and peace breaks my heart...

those lovely melty gentle stripes...

thank you so much for sharing her with us...

And beautifully sketched pressure cooker with its complex setting and shape and surface (gleaming, shadowed) - wonderfully atmospheric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by individuo
"giraffe.... unstarted...." You can always start by wetting the paper and then proceed to have a lot of fun
About the currently imaginary giraffe-adjacent non-existent sketch if you're saying what I think you're saying, well, all my water-optional stuff is currently in my donation box. For the THIRD time no less :headdesk: Still, fun is good, fun is fun, I'll try to figure out how in this case

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 09:40 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joe — We sort of cross-posted. (I was writing offline while you were posting ). Thank you for sharing those amazing mementoes! Your commemorative medal is beautiful and the weight and meaning of those years shows in line and color and language. Congratulations! and thank you for your many years of service

And good grief, I had no clue that loads on planes even needed balancing let alone to the tune of a zillion adjustment knobs, good grief that's scary!!! And amazing and fun to look at!!!

Last edited by Pine Cone : 02-23-2020 at 09:46 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 11:17 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

PineCone - I am definitely NOT writing a book. Always learning. My oldest brother use to tell me as long as you are learning you are growing, if you are not growing you are withering on the vine. So learn or wither.

The Librascope is even more impressive if you could see the inside. Created in 1937 it is all analong. Inside is all brass gears and amazing to watch.

Lumograph Black pencils are carbon based. They give great matte blacks but on this paper act more like crayons leaving all those little holidays. I will try them on some vellum Bristol that is buried in my art supplies. I tend to use drawing or sketching paper with a bit of tooth.

Get those art supplies out of the donation box and play!

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 02-24-2020 at 11:23 AM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 06:18 PM

Hails from Spain

Joe, thank you for your comments and thank you for sharing, it is more than what I asked for but not more than I wanted , that analog computer has to be very impressive . Muchas gracias!

Pine Cone, thank you very much . I am indeed fortunate to have him in my life along with some other very nice people (I don't need to count my cat apart, she is people too, of course )
Are you going to donate art supplies that may not work? You need to test them first, and test them thoroughly (kidding, no pressure)
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 06:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

PineCone
Quote:
Are you going to donate art supplies that bmay not work? You need to test them first, and test them thoroughly (kidding, no pressure)

Indiviuo made an excellent suggestion. Then post the tests here so we can help you decide what to keep,

Joe
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 08:26 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Joe, the key bob and keys are so nice. Well done on a large sketch. Gene worked for Singer/Frieden company for a few months back in the 60s. I think they are related. I worked for Continental Airlines then. We always had to worry about weight on the planes. They would remove passengers or freight and balance the loads. I worked in reservations and we would have to work to get the overloaded passengers a new flight. Ha.

individuo, ahhhh, nice on your kitty cat. I like the pressure cooker, good shading. And a good stove catch. Lots of birthdays, we finally celebrated yesterday. Larry's day was Feb 6. Ha.

Pine Cone, all you lose is a piece of paper, right? Get going! :-) Hugs. I know the feeling all too well. I try to make each piece precious instead of trying new things. I've gotten better with the wipe offs, etc. We won't judge....

As a point here is a smeared pastel. Ha.
Number 2, jug - a pottery pot that survived somehow. It is about 8 or 10 inches tall. Pastels on MiTeintes Canson paper.

Winston Churchill
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 10:44 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

JoC — I'm glad such a beautiful piece survived. Your luminous sketch is lovely, and I'm guessing that I'm already missing it, or soon will be, from what you said (although I hope you'll reconsider). Thank you for your kind post of a beautiful pastel

--------------------

Joe —
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I am definitely NOT writing a book. Always learning. My oldest brother use to tell me as long as you are learning you are growing, if you are not growing you are withering on the vine. So learn or wither.
Wise brothers, you two! Still wish you were writing a book though, weaving together your Navy experiences and art teachers then, along with steampunk computers made for aeroplanes by sewing machine companies, Native American art and traditions, your ongoing efforts now, Egypt (if I recall correctly)... and lots of sketches and photographs... a life and family fully realized...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
The Librascope is even more impressive if you could see the inside. Created in 1937 it is all analong. Inside is all brass gears and amazing to watch
I'd sure love to see the rest of it. Do you have more pics? Brass gears, steampunk parts... I have to see that!

--------------------

individuo —
Quote:
I am indeed fortunate to have him in my life along with some other very nice people (I don't need to count my cat apart, she is people too, of course )
Do you ever take extra paper and supplies and go out sketching together?

(I was thinking of godsons and other human people, but come to think of it, cat persons paint amazing stuff too! Proof: a cool book called "Why Cats Paint." Some might call their works "abstracts" but some might call them "birds" )

It would be fun to see sketches from any and all! Team sketches too!

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 11:03 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

individuo y Josι y JoC —

Quote:
Are you going to donate art supplies that may not work?
I keep trying to, yeah

Quote:
You need to test them first, and test them thoroughly
ah jeez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josι
an excellent suggestion. Then post the tests here so we can help you decide what to keep
oh man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoC
Get going! :-) Hugs. I know the feeling all too well. I try to make each piece precious instead of trying new things.
I'd better try

You guys are the best!!! I'll try, and I know it will be fun

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 08:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

PineCone - Where did the steampunk come from? Curious as I was never much into it but about a month ago picked up a steampunk novel. Am just starting the sequel now. Seemed so strange/funny you mentioned it.

I will look for photo of the inside I know I use to have one but it is buried in. Some box in some closet.

Keep sketching
Joe

PS waiting to see your Free Associations using the almost donated art supplies.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 08:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

If this works, here is link to the next Hunt.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1477740

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 02-25-2020 at 08:09 AM.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 11:44 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

2 pot - this I’d digital but tried to be loose and not erase. Procreate with Apple brush.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joe — Well done Procreate cooking pot! I like the close dark shading on the handles Nice and loose all around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
PineCone - Where did the steampunk come from?
I'm not sure. When I think of "brass gears," I think "steampunk" — When I think "aeroplane" then "goggles" I end up with "steampunk" — I see "analog dials and gauges and knobs and lenses," and I'm back to "steampunk" --- and like you mentioned, it all seems strange/funny because you're in the process of launching us on a whole week of free association!!! And I guess I don't really know what "steampunk" is, but there are all those free associations to it. So it feels like I know what it is even though I don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Curious as I was never much into it but about a month ago picked up a steampunk novel. Am just starting the sequel now.
Your turn - what is a steampunk novel? It sounds interesting. What's it about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
PS waiting to see your Free Associations using the almost donated art supplies.

Last edited by Pine Cone : 02-25-2020 at 02:39 PM.