WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 07:43 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Scavenger Hunt 621 Feb 9 - Feb 17

Welcome to Scavenger Hunt #621

If you've participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Here are the rules for the hunt:

*All items on the list must be sketched from life - not imagination or photo reference.

*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.

*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt "week" will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyways. Commenting is appreciated but not necessary. ***

Scavenger Hunt 621 Feb 9 - Feb 17

A - Z
anything
button w/buttonhole
chess
dumpster
eggplant
forefinger
ginger
handmade
indigo (or any blue)
jellybean
kettle
ladder
memento
nearby
overlap
pleasing
quilt
relish
seasoning
texture
under
valentine
watercolor
xanthopetal (flower with yellow petals)
yucky or yummy
zigzag

Challenge see how many you can do in order, start on any letter.
Have fun!
Winston Churchill
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 08:04 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Scavenger Hunt 621 Feb 9 - Feb 17

Thanks for the new list, Jo and KarmArt
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2020, 05:30 PM

Hails from Spain

Hello everybody!

Jo, thank you very much for the A-Z list, interesting.

Good news in Joan's blog (https://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com/), Jerry is out of the hospital and back in rehab.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Thanks for new list jo.

Joe
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2020, 09:04 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi, EP, individuo and Joe.

individuo I make an alphabetical list often, you don't have to count to 26, it is automatic. :-)

Great news about Jerry and Joan. They still need prayers and hugs.
Winston Churchill
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2020, 11:26 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Thanks for a new list
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2020, 12:32 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi NedL and all the rest.

Let's get rollin'..
In the big book with a Micron 02. I thought of something I relish, then went for the obvious. Was going to do ginger colored and went for the obvious again. No imagination.....

Number 1, relish
Number 2, ginger
Number 3, seasoning
Number 4, jellybean - subbing1 Twizlers

Winston Churchill
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2020, 01:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
Green heart of Austria

Hails from Austria

Heya

just realized I have been off since October 19

Good to see you're all still in charge .

Miss the weekly doodling on paper. I´m wrapped in work the last month and Wood dust, well now the new British Motorbike which brings me away from blank sketch paper to.

The mild winter here brings ice and snow-free roads to reach destinations for urban sketching, I have 4 empty books to fill up...

I didn´t read the threads since October and hope you guys are all well.

Cheers from Austria

W.P.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2020, 07:43 PM

Hails from Spain

White Pen, hello! Come on in, bring some sketches

Jo,
Quote:
individuo I make an alphabetical list often, you don't have to count to 26, it is automatic. :-)
, you sure? ń . Great first sketch!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2020, 07:49 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Jo: Thanks for the cool list and wonderful group sketches to start this Hunt. Wow on the X word for yellow flowers.

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 10:51 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Jo - Nice little composition. What size pen do you use for the fine hatch lines? Or do you just use a lighter touch.

White Pen - Welcome back. Hmm. For ‘anything’ you could draw that new Motorbike?

Individuo - Most of the new Espańol words and phrase are travel related so hard to fit into our chat, but still progressing. Actually a bit surprised at words that are the same like hospital and taxi and words that sound the same like tren.

EP, Ned, Ai, PineCone -

I was talking with an artist friend about how to loosen up. He made a few good suggestions like draw bigger, do not go for perfection, just capture what you see and feel, and for me the real terror...lose the eraser. So going to give it a try for a while.

1 forefinger - sketched with HB then picked best lines with Lumograph 2B on full page in 8.5x5.5 inch sketchbook

Keep sketching

Edited to add: EP the 6x8 in Trio is on my wishlist. Thanks
Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 02-12-2020 at 11:27 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 02:52 PM

Hails from Spain

Joe, I am happy that you keep on with your Spanish. Yes, there are many words that are quite similar, although to me "tren" and "train" don't sound the same. You will encounter "false friends" too, similar words with different meaning. For example, "actual" is the Spanish word for "current" (the Spanish word for the English word "actual" is "real" or "verdadero/a"). But don't pay much attention to this now, just follow your method and ask any doubts you may have.
You loosing up is good news, because it means we will see more sketches from you, and in a variety of styles. Some quick loose ones and in between one or two in your usual delicate style (which requires more time to do, obviously)
I love your sketch and the finger looks as if it was pointing towards something quite important.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 05:57 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Hi everyone!
I like your sketches Jo
and Joe too!

I think I mentioned the other day that I scribbled some "loose" or maybe "minimal" sketches of an oak tree that we can see from our back porch, and I tried it again yesterday. At the beach a few days ago I made a sketch that ended up with very few lines, but I really liked it... I think knowing what to leave out is something I will have to learn. There's something pleasing about looking at it that "feels" more like what I was looking at... I'm too new to have a "style" yet, but I think I can see that it's going to change as I gain experience

Tuesdays are often a long day for me .. I spend about 4 or 5 hours in my car going back and forth to Oakland where I'm needed for meetings. Today has been busy too. I've got a couple sketches but haven't found time to photograph them yet..... they're coming soon...

Individuo -- that is also a less commonly used meaning of the word "actual" in English. It can imply a combination of "current" and "real" or maybe "current" and "true". It's not common to hear the word used that way, but it sometimes is.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2020, 04:50 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks.

Joe, your drawing is so delicate looking and graceful. Nice work in your new speedy style. Evil grin.

I sketched in the big book with the Lamy pen.

Number 5, forefinger and #6 button w/ buttonhole.

Winston Churchill
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2020, 12:31 AM
N. California

Hails from United States

Jo - good! Almost life size I think!

Here are two quick ones:
This was almost speed-drawing. I was roasting some coffee and finished it before the coffee needed to be taken out of the roaster... maybe 10m.

#1 seasoning

#2 watercolor

At the end of the week there will be a few to choose from for "anything" It seems like forefinger would fit in well, hope I find time to try that one.

I made a list for hosting, thought of something else to put on it, and now I can't find it.... but I don't want to sign up until I'm sure I'll be around and in town at least on the day it starts.

edit: Haha! OH NO! I didn't notice until I posted this. I think I have to confess this... I only own 7 tubes of watercolors.... when I was drawing I remember thinking "where did that 2nd from the left come from??? It must be behind where I can't see it now....."

Last edited by NedL : 02-14-2020 at 12:45 AM.