WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 09:39 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #620 - Feb 1 - Feb 9

NedL - nice looking sketch. We have loads of clamps in our house. Well done.

I sketched in the big book yesterday with the Lamy pen.
Number 3, window

Winston Churchill
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 10:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

PineCone - Love the signature line. I doubt I will do the Figure Challenge daily but they leave it up so I hope to work through the 29 days even if it takes a bit longer. The bear was a Valentine gift a few years ago. I am with EP on the toned paper ‘just do it’ the plus is as EP said above, and has demonstrated many times, the ability to add white and make it pop.

EP - Thanks for support but more so thanks for turning me on to toned paper. Once I broke that first clean page I am having fun. Gray is next.

Ned - the C clamp is excellent. I do not think I would have noticed the highlight being misplaced if you had not pointed it out. The ability to add a bright highlight does add dimension. We have bears and dolls in every room. For many years my wife actively collected. Now a new addition is rare but she enjoys them, as do I. (Except when they need a dusting.). NA is abbreviation for Native American. My collection of NA arts, crafts etc is not as extensive as my wife’s collection but I they make interesting subjects besides being artifacts to a vanishing culture.

Jo - Excellent job on the window!

#4 makes a sound and the challenge. Full page in charcoals. A Native American flute. This one was made for me by the artist Ward Jene Stroud. I have 2 he made as well as a flute stand he carved.

The complete collection of 7; the 2nd from top is a double flute also created by Ward.

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 02-06-2020 at 10:31 AM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 03:48 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Joe, oh, the flute is great. I love the story and the stand. The teddy bears you've shown us have been great, too. I'm smiling.
Winston Churchill
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 04:07 PM

Hails from Spain

Jo, those tools look definitely old, nicely done! And look at that lovely view through the big window, it feels warm, does the sun enter through that window?

Joe, wonderful bear! it makes me smile too . Beautiful sketch of the flute, as beautiful are the flutes themselves. Can you play them? I like that free association idea as well.

Pine Cone, wow! love the paintings and sketches in your signature. What is the "ancient" one? Looks like a rock in the sea but somehow I don't think it is.

EP, yes, I think the soap smells like that, but smell is not the most developed of my senses. Not many horses, a few groups of two or three here and there.

Ned, well done on the clamp! I like that walnut ink and how you work with it. Your daughter will have a good time looking at your sketches and the whole Wetcanvas site. Hello Ned's daughter, join in if you will, it is fun and free!
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:44 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

individuo — Thanks so much

Ned — Do you still have your radio telescope? Was it difficult to build? Thanks for the info on the quake, unbelievable, wow You mentioned future plans. Do you think you'll be working on high-energy types of events again?

Ned again — That's great that you talked to your daughter about this place! I hope she drops by

Ned again — I have no idea what you'd use one of those clamps for (maybe buildng another scope!) but it looks serious. Love the helical (?) lines on the silver gizmo! (Not sure if I'm using the word correctly.)

Jo — I agree with individuo about the warm feeling of your view through the window. You always do those glimpse sketches so well! Lovely

Joe — Special sketch of the flute with its own animal Your whole flute collection is a work of art, so beautiful! Has the artist seen your sketches of them?

individuo again — Thanks so much Yes, "ancient" is a chip of petrified wood, i.e., rock. In real life, it's small enough to rest on a medium-size coin like a nickel or quarter, and is probably millions of years old. There exist a few much younger exceptions, but I'm hoping mine is millions of years old. I don't know why. You're also right about the sea and I'm glad you saw it that way! I was listening to "Goodbye to a River" (Don Henley) while I was working on it. But I'm sure that river led to the sea They always do

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

Last edited by Pine Cone : 02-07-2020 at 01:42 AM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2020, 09:27 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Jo - thanks! I think I recognize those trees. That looks like a nice light room. Everyone here knows but what's the "big book"?

Joe -- OH! Yes I know NA. I thought maybe it was an art term I didn't know, and I didn't know you collected NA art. Beautiful flute and that stand with the handmade flutes is wonderful.

Individuo - thanks, I really like the walnut ink. It's not really ink made from walnut husks, it has pigments in it but is still water soluble and light fast. It's called Tom Norton walnut ink. Not for use in a fountain pen. I don't think it will work if/when I start trying to add watercolor on top, but wow it's a lot easier to control than layers of diluted india ink. And it's fun and the color is nice! I talked to my daughter on skype today ( she's at a school in Europe ) and she'll probably drop by pretty soon

Pine cone - I don't have my radio telescope any more. We moved about 20 years ago and it was too big to try to move. I did continue monitoring the ionosphere until about 5 years ago when the laptop I was using died... one of these days I'll turn that back on again.
The C clamp is actually really small

Last edited by NedL : 02-07-2020 at 10:00 PM.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 09:42 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Morning all, thank you.

individuo, yes, the window is mostly facing south so in the winter we get more sun. It is a bay window toward the lakes.

Ah, NedL, the big book. My daughter gave me a coffee table style sketchbook for Christmas and I started it in 2016. It has about 300 pages and I started sketching on both sides of the page. Well, I'm just now over half way through. She wanted it back filled in a year! Ha. I don't think it would be finished even if I had done all my sketches in it. I tried doing one sketch a page and 4 sketches a page, etc. Seems to take about the same time to do either way. Large sketches means more detail. Doesn't do water well but have a few wc in it and a few colored pencil.
Your C clamp is small, I had visions of a big one.

Number 4, green - a two dollar bill half page in the big book with a Micron 02

Winston Churchill
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 01:26 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Ned — I agree with Jo - I had it pictured bigger. I even wondered if they were something used in car repair shops or something like that Thanks for posting the pic

I'm sorry you don't have your radio telescope anymore. I really hope it wasn't scrapped. In other words, I hope somebody was willing either to buy and move it, or adopt it in place. When I read about the struggles going on over some of the world's historic telescopes, some of which are being saved and repurposed, it's a tough read. There are legitimate arguments on both sides, but losing a telecope that has been a part of our planet's history (and illumination of thought) would be difficult. And I would imagine even more so, the loss of one that you made yourself.

Jo — Your big sketchbook is so beautiful, and loaded with meaning because it was a gift from your daughter! And what a treasury of memories and knowledge - like this $2 bill. I don't remember ever seeing one until now! Very cool Do the stores still take them? I love your sketch, with the detail making clear that it should be negotiable But I'm wondering if you'll keep it in the sketchbook as a memento?

KarmArt — Thank you for hosting a fun event and inspiring wonderful sketches and conversation!

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 05:54 PM

Hails from Spain

Pine Cone, I had doubts because of the size, I was thinking about something bigger. Now I have the whole picture in my head.

Ned, I am another who thought the clamp was bigger. About the ink, once it's dry, is it waterproof?

Jo, great work on the bill! I don't see two dollar bills anymore either . It reminds me of the coins in "pesetas" (our currency before the Euro). We had coins of 100, 200 and 500 "pesetas" (plus other of lesser value). And the 200 ones were rarely seen.

3- window - One water brush filled with ink and another one filled with water.
4- arched (desk lamp) - Water brush filled with ink.
Both directly in ink.

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 07:08 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Jo - I wonder if you will want to give it away when it is full!!

Pine Cone - you would laugh if you saw the antenna. It was about 5m wide and made from PVC pipe and the screen was aluminum window screen. The aluminum was mostly recycled when we moved. It would have been impossible to take apart and put back together again. I had reached a limit of what I could do with amateur electronics anyway.

Individuo -- Even after the ink is dry, you can still move it around with a wet brush. Although if you don't work it very much you can still put down layers to make it darker. I like the lines on the lamp very much! The tones you got on the window look great.

#5 More than 10 years old:

That's Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo's Petaluma Adobe, which was built in the 1830s. Vallejo was a prominent figure here in Northern California around the time California became a state. I stopped here to eat my lunch today, thinking of sketching something at nearby Adobe Creek, but decided to try this. This is the back of the Adobe: there is a square and entrance to the rooms on the other side ( and you have to pay a small fee to go in there ). When Vallejo lived here, it was whitewashed, and I think it was whitewashed again in the 1950s but not since then. Now the adobe bricks are exposed and the building is deteriorating. Will probably try some sketches on the inside at some point ( I've been meaning to go photograph it again too ). I didn't time myself but I think I worked on this for more than an hour. I used a pilot kakόno pen with de artramentis brown ink, and then the walnut ink. I tried to pretend it was still whitewashed and didn't have those modern shingles on the roof.

Last edited by NedL : 02-08-2020 at 07:38 PM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 07:48 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks, KarmArt, Mary, for the Hunt. I wanted to do more but my lazy self took over. Thanks all on the big sketchbook. I will give it back to my daughter. She is sort of patient in her waiting.

New Hunt 621 posted here but you still have time to post here through tomorrow.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1476996
Winston Churchill
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 07:52 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Pine Cone, good idea to put the $2 in the book. They are still good, this one was printed just a few years ago.

individuo, The window is super and the lamp is so fine with the shadows. Wow.

NedL, I love the old building. It would have been nice to see it in its heyday. You did a great job.
Winston Churchill
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2020, 03:15 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

individuo — Wow, fantastic work! The light is so different in each, and so strong in both ☀️ The stark contrasts of your lamp make me think of a zebra's legs; the window, of a safe port in a storm. Evocative work, zowie

Ned — What a lovely, expansive sketch of an impressive building!

I'm glad the telescope loss wasn't as dramatic as I was imagining But I wouldn't be laughing... I'd be rummaging around, looking at the leftover pieces. Like an archaeologist

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2020, 11:11 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

One more from me.
Number 5 - upside down, the red, white and blue bowls (I was going to just turn the pastel upside down. Ha.)

See all y'all on Hunt 621.
Winston Churchill
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2020, 01:11 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Jo — I laughed out loud at your comment And the bowls are so beautifully drawn. How did you get them suspended that way? A leaning tower of bowls!