WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 11:22 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Scavenger Hunt #620 - Feb 1 - Feb 9

individuo - thank you. Learning by myself, and following tutorials on YouTube. Mmm green soap - is it apple fragrance?

Joe - thank you. As for the toned paper - just do it Ah there we go with the soapdish on toned paper! Well done Oh another with the clock radio - well done
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 12:33 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

individuo — ¡Muchas gracias! It can be fun to look at the stars sometimes ✨ Even as much as I love them, I haven't bothered to learn very many of the constellations, etc. I usually just look up and lose myself 🌌

Ned — I didn't get to look for Betelgeuse last night, and when I read your post, it was goofy how relieved I felt "Still visible!!!" 😅 I knew it would be, but still...

A couple of weeks ago, I was wishing I could email the 3 DSN stations (Madrid, Goldstone, Canberra) and ask them to just step outside on their breaks and check for Betelgeuse, and then post its status ("still visible, still unexploded") as an outreach for kids (and me 😇 ). Of course I didn't actually email them. They'd probably be fired if they were doing that. But I was tempted

Your Tanzanian memories sound wonderful. I doubt I've ever seen a sky as dark as what you must have seen in those days. Did you ever watch the Milky Way? Did it cast shadows in that land? Do you by any chance have any sketches from those days you'd be willing to share?

Joe — Thank you so much for your thoughtful words - beautiful wisdom 🐚 What's a Figurary Challenge? Your clock looks space age - nicely done and sleek! Like EP, you seem to be able to incorporate the nature of the paper into your piece 😄

Ned again — You got me thinking about the whole Betelgeuse status thing, and I remembered one of the articles mentioning something called AAVSO. So I found their website, and right there, the most recent observation was of Betelgeuse!!! (since superceded by some other star). And then I found out that you can put in the name of the star and get to the page of all the observations for it, and there were already 7 for Betelgeuse (alf Ori) just for today Thanks for triggering these discoveries ☀️

----------------
Re: the above convo, if interested:

DSN Now: https://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html
AAVSO: https://www.aavso.org

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

Last edited by Pine Cone : 02-04-2020 at 12:54 PM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 02:47 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

I thought I had commented a couple of days ago, but evidently I just looked. Thanks, all.

EP, love the blue mugs and coffee holder, such nice ellipses. Cool you knit. Never tried that. Had to think for half a second what a toque was. We went to music Sunday and the "older" guy said he went out to get his valise and the "younger" guy about 50 asked what a valise was. I evidently fall into the older (over 70) category. Joanna, our oldest, got a hand me down iWatch from her sister and thought it was so silly, but she loves it now. Has things like the fit bit, phone calls, messages, calendar, etc.

Pine Cone, you educate me about the heavens every time. Fun sketch, too.

Ai, such pretty flowers and fun hatching with the different color inks.

individuo, can't believe your great sketches with a toothpick and I bought a Lamy pen for $20+ crazy me.... I like the green soap.

Joe, what a lovely sketch to break in the toned paper. Very nice and shapely. The radio clock is wonderful. Shading, hatching, color.....
I'm doing the Feb. challenge but in the SW forum, we sketch or paint from photos of Southwest things. I hosted so need to paint at least one. Don't know of another.

Off to sketch.... really ....
Winston Churchill
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:52 PM

Hails from Spain

Joe, great job on the radio!! What does it wake you up with? music? the news? or just an alarm sound?

EP, thanks. Not apple fragance, but I would like that. It is supposed to smell like hay fields. The name of the soap is "Heno de Pravia" (Pravia hay). Pravia is a village in the north of Spain, in a region called Asturias (my beautiful region )

Pine Cone, you have changed your avatar, haven't you? And the signature as well, that "niche" link leads to a gorgeous sky, is it a painting of yours?

Jo, thanks. Lamy pens are very good, the triangular grip section is not for me but the pens are good quality and it is very easy to change the nib, that's a big plus.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:58 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Jo — Thanks 😄

individuo — Hey You made me realize - yet another mistake. I meant to add the attribution for the avatar but forgot... back in a sec... I really need more sleep 💤 💤 💤

individuo again — Okay, thanks for making me think of that 😅 and thanks so much about "niche" ☀️ We can blame José for that Here's the link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...4&postcount=15

It was very fun to do but I was terrified at the same time 😄 😅

Last edited by Pine Cone : 02-04-2020 at 04:36 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 07:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Sorry for misleading with a typo. It is Figuary Challenge. They post timed figure studies each day and objectives change each day, I started yesterday so am 3 days behind and not sure I will be able to do it every day. But it seems to be good practice. I am not putting the link since it is a competing web site. But if you type Figury in a search engine it will show the link.

Ep, PineCone, individuo and jo Thank you for the kind supportive words.

Joe
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 12:57 AM
N. California

Hails from United States

Here we go.

Ai - puppet legs, it is a strange thing, well done That was a good day and a very interesting and fascinating place!

Jo - I was almost thinking "rowing machine", well done.

EP - ( and Joe ) I like those drawings on toned paper and your drawings that I've seen so far have a kind of effortless look to them ( that must take a LOT of experience! )

PineCone - more about the skies above in a second!

Ai again - beautiful bouquet, I like how the loose impression of the stems and leaves makes the flowers stand out.

Individuo - you don't know but I find those toothpick and ink drawings inspiring. They are very nice. I thought you were only starting with watercolors? The direct watercolor looks great especially the tones on the soap holder. I made the 1st step: I squeezed some of each color into the pans... but haven't tried it yet.

Pine Cone again - yuugen is a beautiful word and meaning.

Joe - now with the toned paper too! I like the soap and especially the dish. And nice clock radio. I found the Figurary site and it would be a great thing to try to do. If I find some extra time this month I might try a few, and we don't really have to finish in 29 days!

Pine Cone again - Yes I know about AAVSO... I can't go into it here because I'll end up writing too much, but I was part of an amateur team the detected a magnatar's effect on the ionosphere... most of the others were AAVSO people. The report is here. That used to be my "hobby"!

I went and looked at the Hunt you linked from a year ago and I like Joe's idea in there of a "free association" hunt, where you draw things that are not on the list. Very clever and I wonder if that kind of imagination would somehow make the drawings different!

OK here are a few from me:
#1 wakes me up:

#2 makes a sound ( my pen stopped drawing a few times during this... I cleaned it today with warm water and it seems to be fine again.. but I don't really know why it happened, the ink is supposed to be safe for fountain pens and I've used it every day. )

#3 something sweet ( it's really more of a pyramid like my sketch than you can see in the photo )

Last edited by NedL : 02-05-2020 at 01:17 AM.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 10:29 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! (Thinking of Joan and Jerry)

NedL, excellent sketches. The clock is well done and it is right twice a day. I like the bell. Cute. I've never had dark chocolate drinking cocoa, oh my. Checking our store now!

I sketched at the dining table in the big book with the Lamy pen. Quick and poor perspective. I should have used a pencil before. The pinchers are about 18 inches long and the knife/hoof cleaner is only about 10 inches long. So I got them backwards. Could pretend it is two separate sketches, eh?

Number 2, something over 10 years old - tools my dad used to shoe horses. Gene still uses the pinchers but not sure for what. We don't have horses. Ha. I think to pull nails out of boards.

Winston Churchill
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 11:34 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

NedL - I forgot about the free association but will do that when I host again in a few weeks. Good luck with Figuary. I also am sure I will not do them all this month but they look to be good practice even if not done by their schedule.
For a beginner you seem to be a natural in event medium you try. The clock is verY good. The bell is cute and nicely sketched. Ahh two things you can never go wrong with in this group…chocolate and wine.

Jo - like the hatching. If you had not told is the proportions between the 2 items are off we would not have known.

#3 makes me smile
Pastel pencils on toned paper. Image is roughly 3x4 inches on that same first page.
Attaching a photo of actual bear so you can see why it makes me smile

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 02-05-2020 at 11:37 AM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 06:07 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joe — Thanks for the info about the Figure Challenge. The work there is beautiful and I like that they want people to have fun with figure creativity. I might try one if I can find the courage and time.

Ned — Your sketches are lovely! I think my fav is the beauty and freedom and color of your clock, and the bell is fun too! But what I can't understand is how it's possible that you have an apparently unopened box of a chocolate beverage in close proximity for long enough to do such a fun and intricate sketch

Jo — Awww, beautifully rendered tools with their angles and edges - thank you for posting these 🐾

Joe again — Your sketch and pic of the bear are both wonderful, the most heart-warming bear I've ever seen ☀️ Valentine's maybe?

Joe and Ned — Your talk about Joe's free association plan gave me an idea, so I used it to change my signature box again, by creating a sentence that reflects my thoughts under the stars, and trying to match old SH items to each word, and it was fun! Thank you both 😃

Ned again — You mentioned Joe's and EP's success on the toned paper and I agree. Do you remember Joe's recent NA painting on Mi-Tientes paper? I was thinking about how eloquent that painting was, and what a nightmare that paper had been for me awhile back. I decided that perhaps the reason Joe and EP have such success with different papers is because maybe they aren't fighting against the differing natures of the various papers. I, on the other hand, fought against the Mi-Tientes and lost badly

Last edited by Pine Cone : 02-05-2020 at 06:12 PM.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 06:09 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Ned — I'm in awe that you're one of the people I read about in the astronomy magazines. They give a lot of space and credit to the amazing and selfless work of amateur astronomers, and rightly so.

Naturally, I had to read your report, which was partially over my head, but neutron stars of all flavors are perhaps my favorite objects to read about, so I don't care if I'm clueless. I read anyway. Neutron stars fascinate me because they're so close to being impossible that, to me, they ARE impossible. Balanced right there on the knife edge between knowable and unknowable! Wow! Kudos and thank you for all you do 😃

-------------------

If your magnetar is the one I'm remembering, it gobsmacked me when I read about it awhile back. I never expected to meet anyone who contributed to our knowledge of that object. Again, I'm in awe.

I checked just now on Wikipedia and if I'm looking at the right object, it's just above the Teapot, and very near where I go to look at the unseeable SgrA*. I can't even begin to wrap my mind around ANYTHING making it through all that mass of stuff near the center, and crossing so my tens of thousands of l.y.s to actually make a change in our atmosphere So utterly cool beyond words.

This sentence in your report has me wondering: "...one monitoring station....Massachusetts....did not detect....while being in a good location to do so."

Anyway, thanks for sharing, and have fun under the stars ✨

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 06:33 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Jo - thank you. Toque for me is a beanie for you, I believe. It's also a great q word for use in Scrabble. Hah I know what a valise is. I devoured books like Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables. Apparently Anne is a hit in Japan. Many tourists visit PEI because they are superfans of the Anne books. oh! Tools for shoeing horses! Cool!

individuo - so does the soap smell like hay fields? Are there many horses who are fed from the hay fields of your village?

Ned - awww thank you. Regarding the toned paper, I can't speak for Joe but for me it's a case of "just do it" and allows me to add white. Oh! such a lovely clock! Is that a seasonal bell? Only makes a sound in December? Mmmmm drinking chocolate

Joe - what a cute bear
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 06:51 PM

Hails from Spain

Pine Cone, that SV#580 looks interesting, I will take a closer look. An another closer look to your signature, it is growing

Ned, thank you. It is not that I am starting with watercolors, but I don't have much experience either. I think my lack of experience would show more clearly if I were to sketch something more complex, a landscape for example. So you can go ahead and try your watercolors, as long as you don't clean your brush in your drink you have nothing to fear . Maybe your fountain pen got some dirt in the nib, such as paper fibers.
Great sketches! The clock with the ink wash, the bell with the funny mouse and the cacoco box with all the writings and ornaments. All of them with good perspective and nice details. Great job!

Will be back with more comments tomorrow.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 09:32 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Jo, I like the ferrier tools! I definitely want to do the "more than 10 years old" before this week's hunt is over. The pinchers do look a little bigger to me since they are further away..

Joe, wonderful bear! It looks to me like you have things to make you smile all over your house!

Pine Cone, I'm not sure what an NA painting is, I remember seeing Joe's terra cotta jug and ( I think it was ) cups? That one? That was really cool!

Pine Cone again, a long time ago I was very ambitious and built my own radio telescope. After we had our daughter I didn't have enough time to continue, but I have some ideas for when I retire.... I agree with you: neutron stars are so close to impossible that they almost ARE impossible!! Without complicated details, when the gamma rays from that explosion hit the earth back in 2004, it made the ionosphere ring like a (spherical) bell, and because of resonance, there would have been some paths through it that were affected greatly ( like the path from Hawaii to here in California that I was watching ) and some that didn't change as much ( probably what happened to the observer in Massachusetts ). It happened during night here, and it lit up the ionosphere stronger than the sun does during the daytime... amazing.

It's my wife who likes hot chocolate... I'm sorry to say I haven't even tasted that one! I went to the kitchen to find one of those 'bear' honey bottles but when I saw that box it caught my eye.

I texted with my daughter this morning and told her about this place. She sounded interested and might drop by to look or hopefully to sketch.

I did a quick sketch at the coast today after a walk, not for the hunt... and this afternoon when I was taking a break from working, I did a few "gestures" of oak trees from my back yard... the lines don't look like a tree drawing but somehow they capture the "squiggliness" of the trees in a way that I don't think a careful drawing would.. it made me want to try it some more.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 12:46 AM
N. California

Hails from United States

#4 non-art tool:

It's interesting... I got one of the highlights in the wrong place on the lower angled corner. I knew it happened when I was painting the ink on, but thought I'd just leave it... it makes that whole corner look flat instead of 3-D. Very interesting how one bright spot has such a powerful effect. I might even paint it over the next time I have the ink and brushes out, because I'm curious if it will make an obvious difference.

Last edited by NedL : 02-06-2020 at 01:16 AM.