WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2020, 11:10 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Scavenger Hunt #620 - Feb 1 - Feb 9

PC - thank you. Dying yarn was fun and took around two hours because I didn't know what I was doing. Drying was around 24 hours. It was a week or so until I made something from it.

Ai - thank you. Lovely Irises for Iris
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2020, 07:19 PM

Hails from Spain

EP, nice frontal view of your ukulele to finish the previous event . Are you learning by yourself? taking lessons?. I love the sketch with the mugs and everything, very nice composition and execution.

Pine Cone, nice informative sky. Love your comments and links . Little by little you are correcting my ignorance regarding astronomy. Talking about ignoramuses, years ago, the mayor of a Spanish city went to inaugurate a street called "the Avenue of Astronomy". In his speech he spoke about astronomy and astrology as if they were the same thing , the whole speech was hilarious. I don't celebrate groundhog day but love the film

Ai, lovely flowers! I suppose you end up trying the ukulele when no one was around (I know I would ) Did you like it? Are you going to give it a serious try? or would it be to much to combine with the piano?

1- wakes me up (alarm clock) - ink applied with a toothpick (still the same one ), no previous pencil sketch this time.
2- green (challenge, not nature or food) (it's a bar of soap) - direct watercolor

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2020, 11:59 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Thanks for the great list, and already a quick start and some great sketches!
I've got one to add and will come back with comments but no time right now.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 01:18 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by individuo

Ai, lovely flowers! I suppose you end up trying the ukulele when no one was around (I know I would ) Did you like it? Are you going to give it a serious try? or would it be to much to combine with the piano?...

Individuo: Right now I am overwhelm even with just only piano practice. ... So it might take me a big while before I can get my hands on it.

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Ai - I not only love your paintings but the looks into the beautiful culture of Thailand. Thank you.

Jo - You definitely captured effort and focus.

EP - I see lots of great ellipses and enjoy looking how you emphasize the contours with the color pencil lines. You inspired me to get toned paper with your work now I need to actually use it. 😂

PineCone - you always fascinate. You now have me following Betelgeuse as several online sources seem to imply it may be dimming before exploding.

Individuo - You are doing well with your ink and ‘toothpick’ Looking at the photo In the last Hunt, you must have some big teeth. The direct watercolor of the soap. The metal reflections are great.

Keep sketching
Joe

O
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 03:29 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Ai — Thanks and your flowers made me smile tooo!

EP — Thanks for the yarn info ☀️

Ned — Looking forward to it 🐚

Joe — I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with toned paper. I've had some for several years. Still haven't dared try it 💧 I'm thinking of learning origami About Betelgeuse (or Beetlejuice, as I call it 😍 ) I'm pretty convinced by the scientists that its current troubles aren't necessarily signaling the end... but stiiiiiilllllll... This part in the third link cracks me up:

That's me Just can't help it

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 03:49 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

individuo — Thanks! That clock looks serious - well done - and nice soap still life if that makes sense 😄 "Avenue of Astronomy" sounds like a splendid name for a street!!! 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by individuo
... ignorance regarding astronomy.

To me, there's no such thing as "ignorance regarding astronomy." What I mean is... we all look up at the night sky from time to time (including people who are blind) and we have some innate, pre-language sense of it's unfathomable depths and complexities. It's some kind of unspoken knowledge of the whole, even if we are baffled by the parts.

So we might not be able to define it (even scientists struggle to understand even the few bits we're aware of), but somehow we sense something far beyond us, beyond our own tiny lives. But we're caught on this crowded planet. We can't go very far, and yet we have so many questions. So we seek answers, each in a different way from anyone else. We may seek those answers from different places and listen to different types of people, and maybe each of us reaches different conclusions, but at the heart of all that is a deeper realization that...

..... we don't know everything (or even very much),

..... so we're curious,

..... and we want to know more.

There's a Japanese word that can bring us together in our awe and wonder, no matter our different beliefs and conclusions....

.......... Yuugen — an awareness of the universe that triggers emotional responses that are too mysterious and deep for words.

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 04:58 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

PineCone your twitter post made me literally laugh out loud. I always think Beetlejuice and when the movie with that name came out thought it was going to be about stars or Orion

I have heard yugen before but as related to a kind of spiritual feeling in Japanese art.

* drum roll*
1 soap - shell shaped soap dish
Lumograph black 2B and 4B plus white pastel pencil on toned paper. Drawing is @ 2x4 inches in a 9x12 inch sketchbook

Not my best but broke the dreaded new sketchbook block.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 05:03 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Apologies - I failed to give the attribution re: Yuugen, above.

Starting over:

Quote:
Yuugen — an awareness of the universe that triggers emotional responses that are too mysterious and deep for words.

From this article:

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/11-...japanese-words

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 05:27 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfletch
* drum roll*
1 soap - shell shaped soap dish
Lumograph black 2B and 4B plus white pastel pencil on toned paper. Drawing is @ 2x4 inches in a 9x12 inch sketchbook

You did it!!! 😄 And lovely, delicate work, wow ☀️

-----------------------

About Yuugen.....

The first place I read about Yuugen was in an astronomy magazine. I want to say Sky and Telescope, in a column or article by Mathew Wedel, but I could be wrong. But he (or whoever it was) gave a similar simple definition that just floored me with its beauty, and with how it described my own experience under the stars.

Later, in a place unrelated to the stars, I read a much more complex description of Yuugen. But having bonded with the simpler version, it discouraged me when it started dissecting meanings, and analyzing, and establishing so many limitations, and delineating parameters, etc.

One word, for a beautiful concept... that has more meaning for me, rather than less.

Still, the word has a right to mean what it means. And I think that you're more correct in your description of it than I was in mine. So the simple version I quoted may in truth not be accurate to the intended complexities of the word, and maybe I should invent my own new word so as to be fair to the originators of that word. I'm taking suggestions 😍 ☀️

-----------------------

About that hilarious Twitter box, it isn't literally mine. Tragically, I don't even do Twitter I just meant that I was doing the same thing as that guy and couldn't help but run out and check on poor Betelgeuse Every time I read that I laugh out loud too Maybe some day the Beetlejuice people will do one about the real Betelgeuse

Last edited by Pine Cone : 02-03-2020 at 06:23 PM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 05:52 PM

Hails from Spain

Ned, when you are busy, you can post your sketches without commenting, you can always come back later to comment if you find some time, but as it is said in the first post of each event:
Quote:
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyways. Commenting is appreciated but not necessary. ***

Ai, I can imagine. Enjoy the piano .

Joe, gracias. I like to think my teeth are of average size, the toothpick is about 2 and a half inches long (65mm). I just saw a boatswain pipe in a Simpson's episode and was happy to recognize and be able to name the item, thanks for that . Nice soap on its nice dish. Great way to start a sketchbook

Pine Cone, thanks. Pretty much agree with what you say, so let's say you have reactivated my curiosity about the space , it was quite dormant. And now about Japanese too, nice word.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 06:33 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Apolgies again. I missed the Edit button by one minute, but my iffy Sky and Telescope reference in post #25 above did turn out to be partially incorrect.

Here's the actual quote from Sky & Telescope magazine (print edition); September, 2019; from an article called "Microquasars" ending on pg. 59, and written by Dave Tosteson.

Quote:
...understanding the history of microquasars....may evoke the Japanese term yugen: a nearly ineffable, deep emotional response to the mystery and beauty of the Universe.

Sorry for all these edits and corrections 🙃 😓

Last edited by Pine Cone : 02-03-2020 at 07:02 PM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 08:35 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Individuo - thanks! Yes, still need to get out the camera and make a snapshot. Tomorrow a long day at work but Wednesday I should be back to having at least a little more time. I DID keep my sketching going though! I sketched an oak tree yesterday! Haven't missed a day yet in 2020

Pine Cone, I stared at Betelgeuse last night and yes 100% it is dimmer than I remember... I've been looking at it and Rigel and Orion since I was little, and my memory is the bright orange star that's so big you almost think you can see that it's a circle. When I lived in Tanzania in the 1980's I remember looking at Orion on his side way up on the Northern Horizon, with bright Rigel and Betelgeuse. I was just reading about it and it does vary a lot anyway... so even though the long term trend is dimmer, it might brighten our skies more again in the next few years
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 11:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone
-----------------------

About Yuugen.....

One word, for a beautiful concept... that has more meaning for me, rather than less.

-----------------------

Followed your link to the words with no translation and...
"Yuugen" is an awareness of the universe that triggers emotional responses that are too mysterious and deep for words. I see how the concept was taken and applied to art.... An awareness in a work of art that triggers emotional responses that are too mysterious and deep for words.
Art is part of the universe. And I can see how tying emotion with deep and mystery can be called spiritual. So I think it is a beautiful word for a concept not translatable to a single word in English. And something we have all experienced.

Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 02-03-2020 at 11:03 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 11:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States
Talking Re: Scavenger Hunt #620 - Feb 1 - Feb 9

Anyone doing the Figurary Challenge? Bit of a late start but considering joining.

#2 wakes me up - radio
2B graphite in 2mm clutch pencil and white prismacolor pencil in the toned sketchbook. Image is roughly 3x5 inches.

Keep sketching
Joe