WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 08:31 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand
Re: Scavenger Hunt #619: Jan 24 - Feb 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by individuo

Ai, thanks. ... . Weren't you taken piano lessons as well?

individuo: Yes, I am back to piano for the past two weeks (after 4 years absence)...I think music is way more harder than art, as the un-refine music piece may hurt the ears of the audience while un-refine art piece is not that bad effect to other... Hope to have some piano song to show you all when I am ready. ... BTW love your tree and ink bottle sketch.

EP: Thanks. I don't plan to add color to the one I post. But I will attempt to do another piece and add color when I can.... Nice set of various containers. Keep on rocking these gem items.

PineCone: Great for you to join... lovely animal and multicolor sketches.

Painting is my soul. My blog.

Last edited by Eye : 01-30-2020 at 08:37 PM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 09:08 PM

Hi folks,

I'm really enjoying being back. I now have a semi-normal schedule and should be able to participate more. I'm a little rusty as I haven't been sketching since I was last on here. I love all the sketches I've seen for this challenge

Dual tip pen brushes 1/2 of a 8.5x11 field sketch pad
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 09:26 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

KarmArt: Welcome back. What a lovely basket .. full of vibrant joy.

Here is my second batch... All done in directwatercolor (no pencil first)... and done in a 4.5 x 8 inch ... cheap sketchbook from Danish brand "Tiger" chain store.

#2 yellow
#3 red
#4 blue -- an AA battery

#34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 10:26 PM

Hello again,

AI, I love the primary colors and swap on the scale of the battery in size.

Here is sketch 2 for me-Animal. I had a very uncooperative model. She just wanted to sleep on her bed. She’s such a sweet and happy dog but she doesn’t like to be photographed or apparently sketched. Her name is Suki.

Digital Sketch
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 12:43 AM
N. California

Hails from United States

Ai -- it's the composition that makes those flowers wonderful
EP -- I like your sketches on toned paper!
Individuo -- I like the tree but the bottle is super!!!
KarmArt -- great basket with the colorful flowers, and the digital doggy is great.... somehow I can tell she's happy
Ai -- and I really like those "direct watercolors", the banana especially. It pops right out of the paper!

Individuo, yes I understand about waterproof ink for under watercolor. When I got my india ink and brushes I also got some watercolor tubes and some half-pans ( I glued them into a mint tin ) and that's why I started with it too... but I think I like plain ink wash too and am going to play with that for a while. And I think I like this walnut ink. I've only tried it a few times but enjoyed it, and it has a nice color. I've never done watercolor at all!

OK here are three from me:

#3 ring:

#4 instrument ( also a ukulele, my daughter's. She later got a really nice one and has it with her at school now ):

When I was drawing the ukulele I was tired and couldn't make a smooth line, but it was a success because I got that "quiet mind" and enjoyed looking at it and seeing all the details... somehow that seemed more the point than the drawing itself. If that makes sense. I enjoyed the act of drawing it. Oh and now that I see what this photo looks like, I thought I was drawing a shadow but it really was wearing a hula skirt. How appropriate!

#5 non-art hobby:

That's the walnut ink. Although there really is a bit of art in casting and feeling everything that happens as the line drifts in the water... this is for steelhead fishing where you stand by a river all day long and watch the water go by. The fish it's dreaming of catching is from a ceramic fish I have hanging on my wall

Last edited by NedL : 01-31-2020 at 01:09 AM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 08:57 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

NedL: Thanks ... love the delicate pattern on the ukelele ... the lines on the fishing rod were nicely flow. Lovely brown color too.

KarmArt: Thanks ... super cute Suki.

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 09:00 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

#5 multicolor -- done with markers and a brown pen

#6 portrait -- sub. with a figure of our neighborhood Roti lady. I was very lucky... I got to sketch her while she prepared our sweet Roti.

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 11:38 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joan — I wish there were words to make everything better... When beseeching heaven for you and Jerry, there are often no words - no words seem good enough - just pictures in my mind asking for wellness, for mercy, for comfort, for you both, and for your whole family....

I used to draw stick figures and Suns on the walls when I was tiny. Even when I grew up, sometimes I would put similar thoughts on paper just as I did when I was tiny, with broken crayons. I read about it in a book about prayer, especially when loved ones are in trouble and suffering. And so I'd draw the pleas and pictures of my heart with my cats right there with me, helping and tapping at the paper, and sweeping across it..... stick-figure cats and horses, and suns and butterflies, because what else would Heaven need to know how completely loved everyone is.....

So I did that today, this time for you and Jerry.....

item #3 - nature related

part of a cutaway butterfly guide

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/but...ula/1125441590

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil

Procreate app for the sketch.

Art Studio Pro app for the crop, downsize and export.

Process:

Defaults.

Reference located a few inches away.

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

individuo — Wow, you were able to convey the shapes within your foil wrapper gizmo perfectly! They made me think of innie and outie belly buttons

Ned — Beautiful sketches where land meets sea! Love your ravguin 😄

Jo — You have the coolest stuff on your shelves! Interesting sketches of them 😄

individuo again — Love the way you drew your belt, and the texture of the wash, and the perfect sense of edge. It reminds me of EP's "healing spiral" belt a few events back 😇

Jo again — Your ukulele sketch looks so fun that I have to believe that your playing, and the notes you hear, are bringing you more pleasure than just a brain maintenance chore??? Lovely sketch 😄

Ned again — EP already named your bird! I vote for her first one, "penven" 😃

Joe and individuo — Thank you both again for your kind and reassuring words a couple of days ago

individuo again — Wow, again!!! Your toothpick shoebox scene is amazing (and with racehorses no less!!! ) I've been going back a ways through comments and can't find where your toothpick idea came from. I apologize if you explained it before and I lost track 🤕 But how did you think of that? I can't believe you did cross hatching, and shading, and depth, and even SHINE... with a toothpick Very, very cool ☀️

Ai — Thanks so much 😄 The unmatched delicacy of your flowers is quite moving 🎨

EP — I guess if I look at your sketch again after reading your comment, I can see what you mean, maybe. But looking at it free of thought, they just all work together, the fun shapes and lovely colors and the gentle highlights and shadows... Lovely work with your perfect idiosyncratic touch 😍

individuo again — I'm running out of words... your tree drawing is superb... it's a work of art that deserves a frame. Words fail...
P.S. - If you ever find that Universe, please post a link to it here so we can all join you and your cat!!! 🚀 🌌

individuo again again 😁 — Sheesh, how are you doing these toothpick works????? Fantastic portrayal of the liquid, the shine (lid), the fracturing of the internal apparatus as we see it from out here... and that spooky raccoon mask shadow So cool 😍 *toothpick emoji*

KarmArt — Welcome home Lovely flowers in their beautifully woven basket, and tangible embellishments 😄 Suki is bursting with personality 🐾 The way you did her coat is fantastic ☀️

Ai again — Your colors are always so beautiful - it's wonderful to see your sketches again 😄 Beautiful scenes of household stuff, but I especially love your sweet sketch of the Roti lady 😄

Ned again — Another fun bunch of sketches! Your daughter's ukulele is pretty! Does she know that ukuleles are taking over the art forum that you're participating on? ☀️

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

Last edited by Pine Cone : 01-31-2020 at 12:38 PM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 12:33 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Pine Cone, my smile for today. Fun Tamarin! Lovely sketch and sentiments for Joan and Jerry. An echo from over here........
Thanks for all the compliments.

individuo, wow on the tree! And... the bottle. With a toothpick no less.

Hey, Mary. Love the basket and flowers. The doggie is a hoot. Reminds me of Romeo except for the color.

Ai, Love all the direct watercolor happiness. Colorful for sure. I like the chef, too. What is Roti?

NedL, good hand and ring. Not easy to do hands. We had several challenges to do a whole page of hands or thumbs in different directions. We've had practice! And a beautiful ukulele. I should paint something on mine. Fishing rod is cool.

I played in the pastel dust today. About 20 minutes on paper with a variety of pastels.

Winston Churchill
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 06:45 PM

Hails from Spain

Ai, thanks. Wonderful watercolors! I like the markers sketch done with markers . The Roti lady sketch is fantastic (and so difficult to do)

KarmArt, thanks. Beautiful basket with the flowers and Suki is super cute!

Ned, thanks. Nice hand with the ring and resting on the sketchpad . Aha! another ukulele , so, as your daughter doesn't need it anymore (because she has a better one), I think we'll all agree that you should start playing that one and your daughter should take up sketching as well . The fishing rod with the ceramic fish sketch is great and I agree with you, it's a nice ink.

Pine Cone, thanks. About the toothpick, I haven't explained about it, it was just laziness. I remembered seeing someone (I think it was Alan Owen) in a youtube video using a wooden clothespin (which he had cut at and angle) as a dip pen, so I thought I could try with a toothpick and in that way I wouldn't have to bother cleaning the dip pen afterwards (I have a dip pen but I haven't use it to draw yet, I used it years ago to try some calligraphy, well, to try to improve my handwriting, but I end up using an ordinary fountain pen or just a pencil) Again, thank you. About the Universe, well, it's your universe , you should know where it is , or did you get lost looking at the stars . Anyway to reach it we will have to wait till the afterlife, once in the afterlife just follow any horse or cat, they know were it is . Again again, thank you very much .(quote:"*toothpick emoji*")
About your sketch for Joan and Jerry. Joan has been doing lots of beautiful postcards for the troops (link to her blog https://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com/). I think your sketch with the words accompanying it is a postcard to Joan an Jerry more beautiful that I could have imagined. And you have expressed your and our feelings perfectly. So (and I am not joking this time), thank you, thank you very much.

Jo, thanks. Wow! your pastels are always amazing!

Joan T, what Pine Cone said. Many hugs, take care.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 06:51 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Jo: Love those blue dust. It is magical on Mitiens paper. Thanks for your kind words... Roti is a flat Indian bread. The one popular in Thailand as dessert is topped with sweet condensed milk and sugar. The variety that my kids love is topped with banana and sweet condensed milk. See more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti

PineCone: Thanks. Love both sweet words and sweet sketch from you. Take great care of yourself too.

Individuo: Thank you for your kind words.

Last edited by Eye : 01-31-2020 at 06:56 PM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 09:01 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Ai - I also want to know what Roti is. I don't know what a good sketch or a great sketch is but I know that I like looking at those Oh, and I wanted to ask you about those pens: did you leave white/light paper for the highlights or is that white ink?

Pine Cone - that "postcard" is touching and really conveys genuine feeling and care. Really it's beautiful. And thanks, my daughter doesn't know about this place (yet )

Jo - thanks and I like the pastel plate/bowls. And I laughed when I saw "20 minutes", to me that seems kind of amazing.

Individuo - thanks and my daughter is the artist in the family. She sings and plays ukulele and clarinet and some piano, and acts, and draws and paints... she's taking another drawing class this semester at her school ( she's in the music program there ). She knows I want to learn and when she was home at Christmas she encouraged me and that was part of what got me going. It would be fun if she was here too...

I started work early today so that I could go over to the beach again before sunset. I made another sketch sitting on the same log where where the penven or ravquin was but he didn't make an appearance today. Waves are hard! Like the bird, they're never the same when you look again!

Last edited by NedL : 01-31-2020 at 09:03 PM.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 04:57 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedL
Ai - ... I wanted to ask you about those pens: did you leave white/light paper for the highlights or is that white ink?...

Ned: Thanks for kind words. About the sketch of my markers ... I use a set of markers which has i) variety of colors and ii) soft tips. So I create the feel of highlight by doing a light touch (soft flexible tips of the pen do help) of various shades and leave some white of the paper itself. I don't use white pen. In the sketch, I use about 2-3 shades of the same color tone. I also create the shadow with cool gray and darker gray. I am not a master of markers but I enjoy trying them from time to time. The affordable set I got from Amazon, has soft tips (kind of like Copic brand has) Here is the link of the set I got (Master Marker Set A-80)

Last edited by Eye : 02-01-2020 at 05:09 AM.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 05:11 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Individuo: Thanks. Thank you for explaining about your way of doing the ink bottle sketch with the toothpick. I might try it some day.