WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2020, 11:24 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #619: Jan 24 - Feb 1

Hi everyone...

individuo, great job on the belt, nice ellipses and width. Good shading.

I sketched in the big book with a Prismacolor 08, too quickly so I can paint. Also had to practice the ukulele, thanks EP for the links, sure helps. I'm still tuning and learning a couple of chords. Should put in more time. Mainly I'm doing it for my brain to try something new.

Winston Churchill
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2020, 03:56 PM

Hails from Spain

Jo, thanks. Nice ukulele! I was going to request it as we have already seen EP's in a previous event. What color is yours? natural wood? Give it time and have fun.

Ai, any chance of sketching your piano?
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2020, 04:30 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

individuo - great job on the hatching on the tablets blister pack. I know of those reversible brown/black belts - nice job incorporating ink washes on such a subject

Ned - good job on the practice "stormy seas". Well done on the crab boat (boats are tough!) Good job on the bird (penven? raguin?)

Jo - I see some Amazon delivery boxes in the pile And a shelf of goodies up high!! Oh yay there is your uke! With a uke leash! It's good exercise for the brain, and I find that when my mind wanders off because I feel I've got it and I'm grooving along, that's when I make lots of mistakes. Keep mind on the task, self!

I have some sketches started ... just need to finish and photograph and then upload them I have an idea for "instrument" lol
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 12:24 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by individuo
Big hugs to Joan T and Jerry. Joan commented on her blog that Jerry is back in hospital with pneumonia. Let's hope there are no more drawbacks and from now on everything goes well.
We keep you both in our good thoughts and prayers.
Joan and Jerry — Adding my thoughts and prayers for you to everyone's here and seconding individuo's hopes for a peaceful path forward for you both ☀️ ☀️ Below, are a couple of lung-health related sketches that I thought I'd post, just in case they might offer comfort in some way.

item #1 - animal

some kind of lemur-like stuffed animal
(serving today as a health-care mannekin)

Awhile back, a loved one had a series of operations. He was expected to survive those operations, and he did.

But as often happens, he got pneumonia as a consequence of the immune-compromising drugs, and lying around, etc. He was expected to survive the pneumonia, and he did.

But he was having trouble doing the required coughing to defeat the pneumonia. It was painful, and he was exhausted. And he was getting worse. So with permission of the doctors, my loved one and I worked out a way for him to do the required coughs more comfortably. This is shown in the awful quick sketch below.

In his case, because of the nature and location of the surgeries, we had to find a sweet spot of raising up only 2-3 inches. He would hold onto my forearm (for dear life), while I slipped my other arm behind his back to hold him up those few inches. This allowed him to do the required coughing in a bit more comfort than otherwise.

For others, such an effort may require a different position, but these things can be worked out together, as long as the doctor approves.

item #2 - multicolor

analog wall clock
(serving today as a health-care mannekin)

Awhile back a loved one was badly injured in a non-survivable event. However, initially they saved him. Unfortunately, they removed him from the trauma center too soon and his lungs immediately filled up, like someone drowning. He was 3 minutes away from death for several days. His lungs refused to clear at all.

I begged the doctors to allow me to do something called T-Touch on his chest. They let me. Although I learned T-Touch for a different reason, it occurred to me that T-Touch might also serve to bring my loved one's attention to his chest. It did so, and his lungs quickly began to drain, and he survived.

Although I learned T-Touch from Linda Tellington (for horses, cats, and wild animals), she adapted it from an Israeli doctor's work on behalf of humans (Feldenkrais?).

-----------------

It is so very, very simple. You place your hand, lightly curved, on your loved one's chest (in this case) and with the tips of your fingers, inscribe a circle, like the face of a tiny round clock.

You do these circles in a random pattern all over the chest area, to bring the body's awareness and healing processes to this area.

This is NOT massage. You are NOT trying to remove any toxins.

You have to press hard enough to actually MOVE the skin (rather than skimming over the top). But no harder than that.

The circles need to be round, and complete. Therefore, try to go 1-1/4 around for each circle, to close the circle, then lift your hand, move it to a new random location, and do another circle.

You do NOT have to have any particular beliefs, or vibes. Like the Sun coming up in the east, no belief is necessary.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil

Procreate app for the sketches.

Art Studio Pro app for the downsize and export.

Process:

Defaults.

References located a few inches away.

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 01:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Individuo - Nice hatching on the pill case. Nice work on the belt. You handle ink well.

Ned - Practice is paying off. Those washes look pretty good. To avoid lines what about writing the paper and go wet into wet like watercolor? The boat is very good! Nice work on a live animal. They are TOUGH.

Jo - how did I guess you would do a wine bottle? Like the basket weave. Blew it up to look. Nice job! I like the soft? subtle?shading on the bar. Cannot think of right word.

PineCone - only you would have a stuffed lemur. The text is very much you in both instances. You are a caring person. Bless you for what you did.

Hoping to finally do something on the toned paper.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 05:13 PM

Hails from Spain

EP, hello! thanks. I'm eager to see those sketches, especially that "instrument"

Pine Cone, hello! What a beautiful post!! a reflection of your soul

Joe, hola! Thanks. Toned paper! Are you going to play with pastels? perhaps colored pencils in EP's style? or carbon pencils plus a white one? Looking forward to seeing it
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 07:31 PM

Hails from Spain

This was tremendously fun will give it more tries.

3- box
4- shoes

India ink ("tinta china" in Spanish - Chinese ink) applied with a toothpick

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 09:06 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Individuo - oh wow that looks awesome! I thought it was going to be brown ink, but the black is perfect for that! Also, I almost spilled my coffee when I read "congratulations on discovering a new bird species" Thanks! That made my morning. I'll try another "penven" one of these days. You all have been so nice -- and lighthearted -- I am over being shy about posting here.

I did play a little with the "walnut ink" I have... it's water soluble and it is very easy to control the tone without layer lines. Best of both worlds, if you let it dry a little, you can also put another layer to make it darker, get the lines if you want or the edges can smoothed with a damp brush. I think I'm going to switch to that for a while until I learn how to use a brush better. I did play with "wet in wet" with the india ink, and it was possible to make it smoother if you worked quickly, but it did not take long before they layer lines appeared again. I think for someone with more experience, it would work just fine... hopefully in February I'll try more with the walnut ink.

Hello Pine Cone, that's a cheerful stuffed animal! I'm Ned, the new guy here.

I've got a couple more sketches but haven't photographed them yet...

Last edited by NedL : 01-29-2020 at 09:09 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 09:15 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Cool sketches everyone: Nedl, Individuo, EP, Jo, Joe, PineCone.

Jo: Hope you keeping up with Ukelele learning... I should try as well. I bought one for the girls years ago. They did not use it. May be I should pick it up and start learning it too...

Joan: Hugs to you and Jerry !!!

Here is mine, done this morning before work:
#1 nature related ...a local flora in our campus ... done by ink

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 12:16 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Sketches first, then comments.

Ink and coloured pencil, 5x8"

1. box
2. bottle
3. basket (pail)
4. bowl
5. plate

I like how I did the box and the bottle is ok but the bowl and plate are poor ... it's like I ran out of enthusiasm as I worked my way down the paper. Ah well.

Cheers,
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 09:27 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! I'm behind on sketching, what else is new?

Pine Cone, nice to see and hear from you. Hope you are doing well, Thanks for the t circles. Interesting lemur.

individuo, ambitions sketching with a tooth pick! Nice job on the shoes and shoe box. I like it.

Ai, beautiful flowers. Thanks for the photo as well. Hope your piano practice is going well. I'm lazy on the ukulele.

EP, very nice on your colorful sketches. I haven't had a colored paper sketchbook for ages. Maybe I will get a new one for my next sketchbook. I did like using my last one. I like the bue and white plate and cup.
Winston Churchill
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 10:09 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

PC - great therapy animals and thank you for the explanation of the T-Touch. That sounds like it could be super helpful indeed.

individuo - hopefully I'll sketch more tonight. Look at those fancy shoes, kept in a box (are they special occassion shoes?)

Ai - thank you for posting yet another beautiful piece. Any plans to add colour?

Jo - thank you
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 02:41 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Hola y muchas gracias, José, individuo, EP, Jo, Ai, and Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
...only you would have a stuffed lemur

I apologize though - I was already in a hurry yesterday when I discovered the news. Didn't have time for research. My stuffed plushie is actually a "Cotton-Top Tamarin" rather than a Lemur 😍 🐾

Although I could be wrong, it looks like Wild Republic inexplicably built the markings and "hairstyle" ( ) of the Cotton-Top Tamarin onto a lemur body, (at least from what I can find from a quick look on Wikipedia).

Anyway, I don't like these pics, but they're the only ones I could find of my exact plushie:

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Republic.../dp/B00M24PVRE

My Tamarin is more comfortably arranged on [draped around] my cats' hammock 😍 with various wildlife 🐾 and birds 😄 and in my version of the Universe, they all get their energy from the Sun, and they're all safe from one another and from humans ☀️ 😍

No time for more comments, but it has been wonderful these two days catching up on all of your amazing sketches and friendly convos! 🐚 Thank you all for sharing them here!!! 😂

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 06:39 PM

Hails from Spain

Ned, thanks. The brown ink I have is fountain pen ink, I wanted to practice with this one because once dry, it becomes waterproof. And I plan to do some ink and wash with watercolors at some point in the future. I have very little experience with watercolors but that have never stopped me before, I'm just having fun . And quote "I am over being shy about posting here", excellent

Ai, thanks. Nice plant. EP, Jo and yourself learning to play the ukulele sounds great. You could have a lot of fun and somehow share with the rest of us your progress . Weren't you taken piano lessons as well?

EP, thanks. Yes, nowadays they are shoes for special occasions, although they are confortable too . Nice sketches, the bowl and plate look perhaps a little rushed compared to your usual efforts, but not poor at all, they look fresh and spontaneous. I'm intrigued with that "instrument", is it coming?

Pine Cone, , so it was a lemur with a fancy haircut after all . I already booked a ticket for that universe and will bring my cat with me.

5- related to nature (tree) - ink (0.2 pen)
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 07:07 PM

Hails from Spain

I played again with the toothpick (the same one )

The shoe box was kind of a mess, but I had a lot of fun and saw that the toothpick had potential (with experience, as everything else). So I gave it a fairer try today, I did a very simple pencil sketch of the bottle and then went with the ink using the toothpick. And then erased any pencil marks still visible (not many).
I didn't know how to give a smooth light tone to the wall in the background, so I left it white.
Anyway, it's very fun and this time I'm happy with the result too (with the exception of some small details).

6- bottle - ink (india ink applied with a toothpick)