WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2019, 12:09 PM
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States
Anybody wanna do The Artist's Way in 2020?

Are any of you interested in working through "The Artist's Way" in 2020? I know there were some previous groups here on WC who worked through the book together in years past, so I figured I'd toss the idea out there again.

It's a 12-week program that (I think) is primarily intended to help overcome creative blocks, or simply to strengthen our connection to our creative self. There are some spiritual (metaphysical?) aspects to the program; I have little or no interest in those aspects, but the author's "preaching" doesn't bother me; I find myself skipping or ignoring those parts, but it's a real turn-off for some folks.

What motivated me to give the 12-week program a try now is an online class through Eventbrite starting in January for $50 (US), but I'm not suggesting that any of you would "have to" sign up for that class. For comparison, there's a weekly class starting up soon here locally (Atlanta) and it costs $350!

Someone gave me the the book and the workbook as a gift a few years ago, but I haven't done much more than take a quick glance at random sections every now and then.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2019, 07:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Anybody wanna do The Artist's Way in 2020?

there's seven pages of discussion on the book here if you're interested and haven't happened along it yet

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2019, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member

Hi I read mixed reviews some raved about it and some got pissed at the "god" conception..and I how can I say do and don't believe in god so I would not be swayed either way by this.

However I think after contemplating it ... and wondering how am I gonna get outa this funk, got up and decided to put on my big girl grown up pants and pulled myself up by the boot straps...lol

I have no opposition to this book method or the author nor wish to sabotage your plan BUT it has to me no appeal in that it would be like constantly being reminded that you are not doing it right and that you must strive to "do it right" like the author tells you !..this is very damaging I feel as any organic and original concepts or art of your own will be stopped by this mentalitiy of the author. It is better to find your own way it is very important that to find tru artistic growth you must conceive it and give birth to it yourself it is yours and yours alone and no one can tell you or teach you how to do that..sure you can be given the tools and the facts and figures but ultimately it is only your right way no one else can tell you that you are or are not "doing it right" if your art is truly authentic no matter what anyone says you will have conviction for it.The reason I say this is that actualy this type of "teaching" can be incredibly damaging to the already possibly fragile ego of the artist (although her concern is yes to do away with the ego ) so some of which she goes on about I do agree with but the book as a whole I feel the whole thing could be affecting ones artistic budding creativity it would be like bludgeoning a small kitten with a sledgehammer for example to someone artistic with an already fragile disposition with no self belief in or depressed about there work or the art world in general (ie commodified etc etc ).

Art is extremely personal and unique to the artist who conceives it ..it is probably better to get books that give you the tools and you then decide what or how to do with them ie someone can teach you all about the technicalitys and chemistry of paint they can teach you all about the application of it the chemistry behind how it will behave on this or that substrate..but not tell you then how you will come across your artistic awakening by doing what they did (with that paint they just taught you all the technicalitys of and now telling you what to do with it artistically etc)they are a completely different person to you and one size does not fit all or why try to force a square peg into a round hole you will only damage the peg ,ultimately you must go inside yourself alone to discover your own authentic art and how you will then use that knowledge you have you have to create that...you are your own teacher.

Last edited by tidal : 12-29-2019 at 05:17 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 01:49 PM
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States

Thank you both for your replies. La, thanks for the link.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2019, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

My understanding is that the book & workbook are meant for individual use. In what way would a group on WC work through the book?

The link La provided has some interesting thoughts, but, the thread is closed to new comments. The discussion does, though, bolster the individual use idea, so thoughts on how to do it as a group are intriguing.

Last edited by Mike L : 12-31-2019 at 04:58 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2020, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Most threads are closed after a period of time, if you'd like to start a new one, please do.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:37 AM
Houston

Hails from United States

My sister and I did the artist's way a few years ago. It was very helpful to have another person's support. It is pretty intense. I'm thrilled with the results. Now I love so many of my works. Recently I did a series of 12 paintings and loooove 3 of them. The others don't make the cut for me and that's fine. It's a much different attitude and approach to painting I have now.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 12:04 PM
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States

Thanks, PurplePlume, that's encouraging! Mike, I have a recent edition of the book and it suggests working in groups. It has a whole section in the back of the book all about the group thing, instructions for facilitators who lead an Artist's Way group. (I don't know whether the early editions had that section.) My general understanding is that the Artist's Way is kinda sorta like "therapy for artists" (really, a 12-step program like Alcoholics Anonymous). So it makes sense to me that a "group therapy" approach could be effective.

Last edited by lorianikins : 01-15-2020 at 12:07 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 12:18 PM
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidal
how can I say do and don't believe in god so I would not be swayed either way by this.

Me too, Tidal. That's why I don't think the spiritual aspects will get on my nerves too much; I can take it or leave it, no big deal. I appreciate your thoughtful perspective on the potential risks.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2020, 06:35 PM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

I worked my way through the Artists Way many years ago. (Every time "god" was mentioned- I mentally substituted "creator")
An artist friend wanted to work through the exercises together. She didn't follow through- so I did them by myself.
I really enjoyed the exercises- they were fun and gave me great perspective on my own art practice.
From memory- there is also a group option with this. Julia Cameron encouraged meeting with others to work through the exercises together.