WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 08:27 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Scavenger Hunt #617 - Jan 08 - 16

Joe - thank you for volunteering to host Great electric eraser Does it clean up the eraser crumbs for you?

individuo - yay I found the correct song. I played it for a Spanish speaking person and the translation was roughly that he was still a king even though his girl left him and with or without money he'd go forth confidently (or similar) - Does that sound sort of correct? It has a mariachi sound and at current that exceeds my skill level
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 09:31 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

okay, here's a sketch of one of my cameras that I did last night:

and another attempt from this afternoon:

5.5x8" Strathmore 300 mixed media sketchbook, twsbi pen, document black ink.

The idea with these is that values will be filled in with ink wash... which so far I've never tried to do... I've just been practicing the part before the tones. The area to the right of the lens will be very dark. Maybe I'll try it on these because I think I can put the camera back under the same lighting...

I have my own thoughts of how these went -- not to do with how they turned out, but about what happened while I was sketching -- I think I learned something. The best thing is that I'm pretty sure you all won't think I was trying to draw the fire hydrant

I'm intrigued by individuo's use of ink wash in a water brush!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:05 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Last week, I took a two day break before my teaching semester starts to go visit one floral artist that I have admired. She has a small garden cottage in the northern mountain province, called Chiang Mai. I ended up have a wonderful stay there: touring her garden and studio, touring local artist community, painting flowers with her and having many enriching art-life conversations. Some of below Hunt items were done when I was at her place.

#1 Contains water – a vase

#2 Sooths a person – a garden

#3 Contains memories – an old typewriter

Below was a scene when I had a paint along with her.
#4 contain solids
#5 contain art supplies -- her paint brush .. I did this in directwatercolor...so no drawing and I ended up sketch her paint brush so big like a weapon

Painting is my soul. My blog.

Last edited by Eye : 01-15-2020 at 10:21 AM.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:25 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Joe, Jo, EP, individuo: Awesome sketches.

EP: Thanks for hosting.

Ned: Welcome... keep posting, you will enjoy it...I have been here more than 10 years (around Hunt#89).

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Individuo - Thanks for the kind words. I rarely work in ink and when I do I have to do a contour drawing in graphite. If I drew directly in ink it would look like scribble.

EP - unfortunately the electric eraser does not pick up crumbs.

Ned - It looks like you are off to a great start. You say you are a beginner but from this drawing you have already gotten a handle on proportions and perspective. In addition you are working in ink which still inhibits me. If you add washes, please post again and share with us.

Busy morning with laundry and taking my bride to therapy. Hope to get something drawn this afternoon.

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 01-15-2020 at 10:39 AM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:44 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Ai - We crossposted. Sounds like a wonderful two days. The vase painting is great! Curious how long that typewriter drawing took as you captured so much detail. Not sure exactly what it is about the works you paint direct that draws me. I want to say they seem to flow with an impressionistic feel, if that makes sense.

Thanks for sharing.
Joe
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 11:39 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Ned - congrats on posting your sketches! Those cameras are great Isn't it interesting how you start noticing details on items as you sketch that you might not have thought of earlier. If you give it a try to do the ink wash, please share

Ai - that vase with flowers is awesome! Much more like a painting than a sketch. Love hearing that you got some excellent restorative art-related inspiration and relaxation there. Oh! The typewriter! So complex! Well done! I see a face Love seeing the artist working and the serene look on her face
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 12:00 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Ned: Cool camera sketches...

Joe: Thanks... it took me about 10 minutes to sketch the typewriter.

EP: Thanks.

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 12:15 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Oh...and individuo. I am working on my basic Spanish.
Yo soy un hombre. 😎

José

Last edited by jmfletch : 01-15-2020 at 12:46 PM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:02 PM

Hails from Spain

EP, yes that sounds correct. Your skill will improve little by little, the important thing is that you are having fun.

Ned, great sketches to start posting! I like all the details including the folding part (like an accordion). And you are in the right mindset to keep improving. Keep posting.
There is not much secret to the ink wash I used. It is just a water brush filled with ink (ordinary fountain pen ink, which is not waterproof), I sketch with it and then take another water brush, but this time filled with water. And as the ink is not waterproof, I play with a little bit of water on it. It's fun.

Ai, thanks. Wow! fantastic sketches. Love them all. My favorite might be the vase but there is a great feeling of light in the last one too.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:10 PM

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfletch
Oh...and individuo. I am working on my basic Spanish.
Yo soy un hombre. 😎

José

What a nice surprise! . Keep at it and have fun. And don't hesitate to ask any doubt you might have.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:18 PM

Hails from Spain

Sending positive thoughts and praying for Jerry, Joan commented in her blog that he was having surgery today. Hope everything goes smoothly .
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:32 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Obviously I don't know Joan or Jerry but I'll add my hope for the best to everyone else's.

Ai, I like all those paintings ( and the typewriter drawing ) but the "soothing" one really is soothing and uplifting to look at.

I did ink the first camera and might try the second one if I can find time tonight after work... I'm trying to use waterproof ink ( so you can't wash it after it dries, like some fountain pen inks ) but I've never done it before so ...
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 08:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

I just wanted to stop in and give all of you an update. Jerry had a third surgery on his leg today and he lost most of his lower leg. He is doing better but has a long, long, long road ahead of him both physically and mentally to accept where he is now and what he needs to do to get better. I appreciate all your support and prayers! Will stop in when I can and maybe even sketch a bit. Thanks for being here for me.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 08:29 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan T
I just wanted to stop in and give all of you an update. Jerry had a third surgery on his leg today and he lost most of his lower leg. He is doing better but has a long, long, long road ahead of him both physically and mentally to accept where he is now and what he needs to do to get better. I appreciate all your support and prayers! Will stop in when I can and maybe even sketch a bit. Thanks for being here for me.

Of course Joan... We love you and will always continue to send you and Jerry good vibe...The situation sounds challenging but hang in there.