WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 01:20 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #617 - Jan 08 - 16

Hi, EP, thanks. Your sketches on the toned paper are excellent, I like your choices. Strawberry syrup sounds good for icecream and the broom/dustpan is clever.

Hi individuo and the rest of all y'all.

I sketched on my iPad, thought I could show the bumps better with some color, I got bored though and hurried through. Brushes app and my Apple pencil.

Number 5, bumpy - bubble wrap

Winston Churchill
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 06:39 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Jo - thank you. Good job on digital bumpy!
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 11:25 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Hello folks here in the scavenger hunt. I thought I might introduce myself so that if I manage to talk myself into posting one of my sketches here you will know who I am. I've actually been to the wet canvas site for 5 or 6 years finding information about paper or pigments or sizing or other things related to my other hobby ( I make old fashioned photographs, like they made when photography was first invented 175 years ago ).

About 2 years ago I got interested in drawing and sketching ( mostly as a way to see better for photography, but I've always wished I could draw ), and about a year ago I started to try. After several bumpy on-and-off again starts and stops, I can see the only way to improve is to draw a lot, and in the past month or so I've been finding something to sketch every day. But something else has happened too.... now I look forward to it, and start thinking about it a lot when I haven't sketched yet.. and it's turning into a habit... and I've also found that I'm calmer and even happier after I've been immersed in looking at a subject for 10 or 15 minutes, and that feeling seems to last the rest of the day. It's starting to become part of my day, which is great!

Anyway, I found this "scavenger hunt" last week, and you all seem like nice folks, so I thought I'd use these ideas on days when I don't find something else to sketch. I'm still a raw beginner, and my work doesn't even look as good as my daughter's did when she was 7 years old, but if I draw one of your hunt subjects I'll see if I can work up the nerve to post it here So if you see a post from me, well, it's from me!

I've really enjoyed looking at the sketches here.

Ned

Last edited by NedL : 01-12-2020 at 11:37 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2020, 12:43 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Hi Ned,

Welcome to the hunts! Glad to meet you. Please post / share your sketches - we are a friendly and supportive group. I remember working up the nerve to post my beginner work and it was nerve-wracking. But fun! Remember, this hunt runs until the 16th and then we'll have another hunt starting on the 16th with a new list. Hope to see your work soon!
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2020, 11:27 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Jo - love the pastel. The colors pop and the reflections and shadow of glass bottle are well done. The bubble wrap is cool.

EP - Nice little composition. Clever on the foxtail bristles. My eye read you had drawn them all in then I was looking at detail and saw it was very impressionistic. I keep been taken in by the way tone paper presents color.

Ned - Welcome! We are an open friendly supporting lot. Your intro made me think of my late brother’s father in law. He was a professional photographer back in first half of the last century when film was only black and white. He would colorize his work with watercolor. The colors were soft and subtle washes but really drew your attention. Anyway, welcome aboard. It is nerve racking to post at first but then, as you found with drawing, it becomes addictive.

And fitting right in with the photography talk is my drawing.

2 camera - multiple grades of graphite in a 5x8 inch sketchbook. I took artistic license with the name which is white. I intended to use white gel pen, but it had dried out from lack of use.😎

Keep sketching
Joe
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2020, 11:56 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Joe - thank you! I feel I need a white coloured pencil due to the toned paper. Wonderful job on the camera! The depth! Feels very solid.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2020, 06:54 PM

Hails from Spain

EP, thank you very much for the interesting list. Very nice sets of sketches, especially the second one, with the items interacting, I love it.

EP and Jo, I saw someone buying an ukulele a few days ago, pretty sure it was to play "sigo siendo el rey" .

Jo, nice sketch of the worker, you captured the activity well. Wow, I'm glad you played with pastels, beautiful. Bubble wrap! careful with that, it may be addictive.

Ned, hello and welcome . Have no fears and post your sketches whatever the result. Remember, everybody starts from scratch, so no matter what you post, at some point all of us did equal or worse (and I still do). And believe it or not, there is something to learn from every sketch, I know I would find something to learn from yours. And there are many more reasons, the main one is that it is fun, for all of us. So please, post without fear, it is fun, free and productive.
You may want to take a look here too, nice and free drawing lessons http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/foru...s=&forumid=335

Joe, that graphite is beautifully worked, as always. I especially love the cup and saucer and I'm wondering what colors are present in the real items.

Ai, hello!

Joan T and Jerry, take care, we send you good thoughts.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Individuo the cup and saucer are white. The cup has a floral on one side. The link to JayD lessons brought a lot of memories. I did them years ago (and I mean 15 or more years) when I first joined WetCanvas

Ned, Those lessons are quite good. Do not know who is mentoring now but JayD was very good at helping whenever you asked for comments.

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 01-13-2020 at 10:26 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:47 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Thanks for the nice welcome. Interesting about the person who liked to colorize photos because I recently read Steven Reddy's book and his approach of doing b/w ink wash first (grisaille?) and then light color wash really caught my imagination. I'd like to learn how to do that eventually... last night I made some value scales with ink wash ( I haven't even held a watercolor brush since I was a little kid, maybe 50 years ago!! ) but right now I need to work on contour drawing and seeing and mostly just practice more OK I have some cool old antique cameras ( I also mostly use b/w film ) I'll see if I can sketch one by Thursday...

Last edited by NedL : 01-13-2020 at 10:50 PM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 08:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Nedwe are not big sticklers for detail so if you post it Friday that’s fine (normally there will be no punishment) and if it takes time and you do not finish until the weekend. Post it in the next hunt and just say it took a while. The idea is to have fun with drawing from life and sharing it. Pine Come would have posted something more philosophical but is on a bit of a break at the moment.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 10:07 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Good morning everyone, thanks for your comments.

Ned, you are welcome to be here and partake of the fun times! Some of us have been here since 2006. My style hasn't changed much but I am faster and can definitely be more accurate when the mood strikes ... not often. Ha. Anyway, no judges here. Welcome!

Joe, your camera is the "a" word. Amazing! Super hatching. I think my white gel pen will have the same fate. Don't use it much.

individuo, thank you. Anything that takes time is boring.

Good day, all.
Winston Churchill
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 12:05 PM

Hails from Spain

A quick one.

1-contains liquid (bottle containing aftershave) - Done with a pair of water brushes, one filled with ink and the other with water.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 03:58 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

individuo - thank you Is this song on Youtube like the one you mentioned? Aha there is a fine bottle of aftershave you have there. Is there anything called "beforeshave"?

Joe and Jo - hello!

Folks! If you have interest and availability we have need of hunt hosts starting in mid-Feb. In fact we have six spots listed:
Scavenger Hunt #622: Feb 17 - Feb 25 ------
Scavenger Hunt #623: Feb 25 - Mar 4 ------

Scavenger Hunt #624: Mar 4 - Mar 12 ------
Scavenger Hunt #625: Mar 12 - Mar 20 ------
Scavenger Hunt #626: Mar 20 - Mar 28 ------
Scavenger Hunt #627: Mar 28 - Apr 5 ------

If you want to throw your hat into the ring, sign up in this thread.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 04:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

EP - please sign me up for #623

Individuo - Have heard of people filling brushes with watercolor but not ink. Clever idea and a great result!

Thanks to all for kind words

3 - art supply - electric eraser. Was playing with the Lumograph Black pencilsin 5x8 sketchbook

Keep sketching
Joe
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 06:55 PM

Hails from Spain

EP, thanks. That's the one , I actually like the song, there are many versions of it, and of course it's much better than "despacito" . I was kidding about the song but I really saw someone buying an ukulele, keep having fun with yours (you too Jo). Not sure about "beforeshave" , but there are some products under the name "pre shave". I added Joe to the #623 and myself to the #622, hope it's ok.

Joe, thanks. Super sketch of the eraser! Those smooth gradations, the highlight along the body and the more intense one near the tip. Great job.
About the brush with ink, I read about it somewhere and gave it a try some events ago. It's very suitable for quick sketches and I like using it.