WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2020, 01:08 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
'Round the Campfire ~ January 2020

Happy New Year my friends!

I hope it is a safe, healthy, and creative year for everyone!

I'm just sharing a couple of photos of the stunning trees I saw on a drive yesterday after a snowstorm. I love when snow clings to trees.

Charlie is doing great, though on these colder days, he seems happier in the house than outside. Can't say I blame him.

And it's almost time to take down Christmas decorations, but I don't know if Oliver is ready for that yet. He's almost 16 years old now, but doing pretty well.

I've got hot cocoa and some cherry pie for anyone interested. What's new with all of you?

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2020, 05:26 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: 'Round the Campfire ~ January 2020

Love the photos Jenna, sweet dog and cat.

On our way back home from Ft. Worth for my cousinís services. Itís 69 degrees.

Here is a photo of Texas governor Greg Abbott talking to Richís widow Glenda. He gave her a flag that flew over the capitol and he gave a short eulogy. I got to meet him and shake his hand.

Such a sad day!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2020, 11:45 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Good morning Kay. I've been thinking of you and your family so much. Thank you for sharing this photo. It must have been such a difficult day for everyone, especially Glenda. Such a tragedy. Hang in there, friend.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2020, 11:42 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Dear Kay, what a time for your family. What an amazing congregation! Thanks for sharing the photo. Thinking of you so much. Big group hug. A really sad time.

Hi to everyone else. Jenna oh such beautiful photos. Thanks for the pie and hot chocolate. Hoping 2020 treats us all well.
Winston Churchill
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2020, 03:16 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Kay- still at loss for words for you all, prayers...

Jenna- great photos. Snow on trees like that are rare out here on the plains, as our snow comes in sideways LOL. Very pretty your snow is! Great photo of your "pup"

Jo-Pie and hot chocolate hit the spot!

Not much going on with me. Still battling dizzyness and other medication side effects...ugh... I have two small pastels to get done this weekend for a show deadline next Friday..Between med side effects and my extraordinary ability to procrastinate I keep telling myself I will do it soon, but later....

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2020, 09:04 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone, it is much appreciated. In the morning I'll find out if our church has any kind of security set up as we used to have sheriff deputies every Sunday morning then none at all. I did talk to our sheriff today as he and I worked together when I was in the police reserves unit doing undercover. He said they are getting lots of calls from the area churches for firearms training, etc.

Love the photos Jenna!

Ron, sorry to hear you are having the side effects so be sure and report those to your provider as am sure you are doing. Hugs to you and hope your show is a success.

Our local watercolor society is having our annual show start next Tuesday. I am one of its three founding members who started it in 1997. This show is miniatures 9x12 size or less, so wish us luck. One of our 7 members is 100 years old, and she can still out paint us all!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2020, 04:19 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Jo. Thank you for the kind comments on my photos. How I hope, too, that 2020 will be a good year for us all.

Hi Ron. Thank you. Sideways snow does not sound so pretty. We rarely see snow cling to trees like in these photos...while it looks good on trees, it can make for difficult travel. Usually means the precipitation began as rain, then turned to sleet, then ice pellets, then finally snow as the temps drop. Makes for poor travel, but oh-so-pretty scenery. I am sorry you're still struggling with your side effects. Medications are a double-edged sword so often...they help one thing, and hurt others. Very complex. Hang in there.

Hi Kay. It is sad that even churches so often need security and trained forces. Take care of yourself. Thank you so much for the kind words. And good luck with your watercolor society show! I hope it's a great success. I would love to watch your 100-year-old member paint. How truly amazing and impressive!

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2020, 11:23 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hello everyone! Wow, 9 days since anyone's tended the fire? I'll get it nice and bright and warm - we're below zero here today. The heat will feel lovely.

Hope you're all doing ok around here. Been pretty quiet lately, and I know I've been scarce too. Been tackling reorganizing the office. That's been on the to-do list for a few years, so it's great to be getting it done, but it's also taking a whole lot of time! When that's not in the works, I'm in my studio or at my drawing desk. Trying to take advantage of these long, lazy-feeling winter days.

Who's hungry? For breakfast I have...er...cold cereal. Nothing fancy today!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2020, 06:23 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I was starting to think everybody ran away!!!! What's GOING ON??????????
[b]
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2020, 08:35 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenman
I was starting to think everybody ran away!!!! What's GOING ON??????????

Hiya Richard! You said it. Where'd everybody go??

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2020, 10:52 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

So dreary here and gloomy with the second day of cloudy skies and rain with north winds blowing fiercely. Tomorrow will be the same. Yesterday I got my second shingles vaccination and am having a local reaction of swelling and redness at the injection site...felt horrible all day but did manage to get out of the house and work on two at the studio. One is a daily portrait of the 30 Faces in 30 Days and so glad it is more than half over. Those eat up my painting time. But did manage to do a small watercolor.

I hope you are all staying warm. Has anyone heard from Hud?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2020, 10:36 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi Kay, guess the reaction is better than shingles. Hope you feel better. Didn't know they had a vaccination. I had some red on my leg a couple of weeks ago and shingles was a suspect but must have been a bite as steroids took care of it. Plus no pain!

It's gloomy today, rainy and foggy. Nice and warm, though. About 70 .. for winter ain't bad, eh?

I haven't heard from Hud since Christmas. I think he is pretty much "dug in".

I'm thankful everyday for our good life and health for old folks. We laughed a while back, Gene was filling out some papers and it said to describe your health in a few words. He put "excellent" and sent it off. A couple of days later he said, "Wait a minute, I've had heart attacks, Parkinson's and prostate cancer. That isn't excellent!" I guess it is all about perception. Ha.

See all y'all later.
Winston Churchill
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2020, 10:23 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

If you had no pain, then it was not shingles. Chicken pox as a child is the main indicator for taking the vax, and I did have that plus some very red, blistery areas on my neck several times since.

Gloomy today again but no rain, just mist, then sun came out late afternoon, but we did not get up to 70.

That is funny what Gene said, and reminds me of what my 90 something grandfather put on his medical form as he was filling it out. There was a space for SEX to write in male or female, so he wrote "If I can get it at this age" across the paper, lol.

Tomorrow is our monthly art association meeting with a guest demo from Odessa on mixed media. I'll get up early to make tuna fish salad.

Time to do today's Sktchy figure or portrait sketch which is a ballerina, a child no less, so should be quite difficult.

Later!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 10:15 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Mom used to sing a song....
"Cloudy in the West and lookin' like rain,
My damned ol' slicker's in the wagon again...
Come a tie yie yippee, yippee yay, yippee yay.... etc.

It had a million verses and some may have been of her own making.

So it is cloudy and rainy here again. Can't complain too much, we need rain.

Off to make New Mexico spoon bread. It is corn bread with layers of green chile and cheese. Goes great with coffee. I'll bring some to the fire.
Winston Churchill
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 10:40 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I think I have my studio at last arranged in a workable arrangement- I think!!!! The racks I got at Home Depot- nice heavy steal- work surface on top & storage below. The space is a 3rd bedroom which do not need - it's 10x10
Just big enough!

On the back wall are 2 folding tables which I use for a drying table and my stereo system -- can't paint without music!!!!

[b]
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/