WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2019, 02:27 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #615: Dec 23-31

Jo — ❤️ 💙 ❤️ "cariño" — I remember... my soul thanks you...

I listened again on Forvo just now. Such a lovely word. I think of you in the same tender way. I'm so grateful to you 😌 🌌

Your card with the fun red bird is beautifully drawn, with amazing detail and lovely personal touches throughout (look at that face and those rakish feathers 😍 ), yet that's a pale statement on my part. I feel like looking at it is a way to see your kind soul, and I was moved by your words, and by your meaningful drawing, there together 🐚 I also loved the scene of various items that you drew for us, happy there together, touched with rose 😄

individuo's cat — Happy Almost New Year 😄 race you to the window!!! 😇

Quote:
Originally Posted by individuo
You could take up Spanish, with Jo and myself helping with "cariño" you would learn it in no time
individuo — If only 😳 I've been trying for a few years to learn French. Hopeless. I couldn't have a conversation in French if my life depended on it. I can read a few things and have a partial understanding, but only if it's a subject I'm already familiar with, so it probably doesn't count. And verb tenses, forget about it. Speaking or writing? Not a chance.

When I first started, I figured I'd learn Spanish next, and then Italian. Who was I kidding? All of you here that communicate in more than one language are my heroes. You're awesome 😍

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

Last edited by Pine Cone : 12-29-2019 at 03:15 AM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2019, 09:26 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Munin - Thanks so much. Love your sketch of the rocks and landscape in the distance. I had to laugh that you thought you had an original idea of a quiet place to escape to. At the holidays people take over everywhere. lol Your "glue" sketch made me chuckle too. Sketching is a good way to pass the time while you are waiting for a significant other to finish up shopping.

Individuo - Thank you. Great idea for a Queen!!! Good job on that vacuum too. "El dia de los santos innocentes" sounds so sweet so I can't seem to relate it to April Fool's Day. Love learning about everyone's countries and customs.

Pine Cone - Thanks. Renys is fun to explore at any time of year. Lots of fun things make an appearance when we go up there in the summer. Most of the time it would take visits to several different kinds of shops to find what you can find in that one store. You can get ready for boating, the pool, the beach...all in one place. I'm not too good with languages either. Took Spanish in high school and then Italian in college...and ended up mixing them up all the time. My mom and grandmother spoke Polish to each other at home when we were kids and I didn't learn anything.

Jo, thanks! Pretty card with the cardinal. Your second page is chock full of fun sketches.

Last edited by Joan T : 12-29-2019 at 09:29 AM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2019, 09:36 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

We got home from Maine late on Friday and then I was out all day yesterday so I'm a bit slow posting my sketches. Toby did finally pose. My nephew sat next to him to keep him in place long enough for me to finish the sketch.

7 - dog - graphite
8 - xtra-large sculptures at the Noguchi Museum - watercolors and ink
9 - hoodie/jacket (man on the ferry coming home) - watercolors and ink
Attached Images

#34   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2019, 10:52 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

individuo - ah, my Spanish is not great. Even after all these years of being married to Gene and living in South America I don't think in Spanish so translate as I go, giving me poor grammar. I do have a large vocabulary though. I like that your April Fool's is in December, nice break between Christmas and New Years. The card was from this year, but we worked together for Continental Airlines in the 60s and fun to hear from Kay. See each other about every 5 years. She is in Albuquerque.

Pine Cone, any study of a different language is good for a person. Helps keep the brain on its toes, right? Thanks for the nice remarks.

Joan, thank you. We thank Toby. So hard to do a live dog, they always seem to be still but....... The x-tra large sketch is great. Very large. The sleeper guy looks comfy. Well done on all.
Winston Churchill
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2019, 12:11 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

One more sketch out on the porch. Sun is out and up to about 63. Nice but looks like the wind is getting up. It was very windy yesterday as showers came through. We didn't get much of the rain.

Number 8 rocker - Gene's on the porch with Micron 08

Winston Churchill
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Jo - Nice sketch of the grand dogs 👍🏽 The greeting card is great! Happy to see another who leans. You got a lot of neat items sketched in one composition. Love the strong bold lines on the rocker.

Ai - Christmas Eve dinner looked yummy. The girls obviously thought so.
K
Pine Cone - I think what you did with extra large is called artistic license.
Your fascination with astronomy comes through. Do not fret about YouTube. If they were downloaded without permission he spent some time as he seems to have downloaded multiple seasons worth of the show, plus individuo logic is spot on.

Munin - love the hatching in your pen work. Like how you manage to get shades of gray out of black. I think your ‘rushed’ work looks better than many of my ‘finished ‘ pieces. You digi is beautiful. You and PineCone use digi with great skill. Glue looks like a impressionist painting. We’re you ‘stuck’ to the chair in the café or your other half was ‘stuck’ on shopping?

Joan - is that graphite!?! Rockers always seem to come with pillows and a throw. Trying to understand the concept of. ‘Extra ‘ wine. Toby is indeed a cutie and worth the wait. Great find on the hoodie. Any clue on the sculpture?

Individuo - The ink sketch of the Queen is really nice but the shading on the vacuum is an eye catcher. I actually was thinking of a real candle as getting tired of drawing the battery ones.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 01:27 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Happy Holidays!

I will return with comments but I first wanted to post my piece.

1. dog - mannikin - graphite and ink and coloured pencil, 5x8"

Cheers,
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)

Last edited by eyepaint : 12-30-2019 at 01:42 PM.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 01:42 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Jo - awww the doggies Chewie looks like he wants to play tug with you with that bone pillow. Yay Xmas card And all the little items 3-7 Good job on the paper hat - at least yours stood upright! Aha there's a rocker, though I did think of maybe you'd sketch a person who enjoyed heavy metal music Did you get a ukulele for Xmas?

Ai - mmmm cheese bread I notice in the photo that the food is all gone! How can you sketch yummy food before eating / devouring it all?

PC - lovely mug

Munin - great ink combo sketch with the sturdy tupperware filled with healthy food options. Good job on the Wales sketch and I wonder if all those people were trying to burn off some of the holiday calories they enjoyed Haha to the "glue" story

Joan - yay to the rocker. What is this "extra" wine (like Joe asked) ? Love the snow shovels and bags of salt outside Renys Yay dog with the upright ears "whatcha doing?" look

individuo - oooh a hand vacuum - I received one for Xmas 2018 and I should use it sometime
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 02:07 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

EP - Love the dog. Nicely done and a unique media combination, at least unique to me.

1 Flame - candle This one is real. Done in 8.5 x 11 inch sketchbook. Lumograph Black pencils in 2B, 4B and 8B.
This dedicated to individuo on 2 counts. First he requested a candle. Second he turned me on to Lumograph Black Pencils. They have a heavy carbon content so you get dark darks with no glare. Only negative is it is tough to erase as you can tell from stray shadow lines.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 03:14 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

EP, welcome back. Hope you had some great holidays. I love the doggie. Clever! Thanks. I did get the ukulele. Can't believe how small the frets are for my big fingers. I've only spent about 30 minutes on it so far. Sort of got it tuned. A challenge for sure.

Joe, marvelous candle and holder. The pencils sound perfect for you. Applause! ....and thanks.

I sketched and watched a Hallmark Christmas movie with Gene. We are so blah lately. We are going to the store and get a burger later. Gotta get up and do something...

Number 9, flame - the electric fireplace so not a real, real flame. They certainly look real. In the big book with various pens and some inktense for part of the red and yellow.

Winston Churchill
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 05:16 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Joe - thank you. Good job on the melted wax.

Jo - thank you. What size of uke did you get? Mine is a tenor which has larger frets. I found beginner lessons by Cynthia Lin (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD2...ZLJUK-VCp49TJA) and Bernadette Teaches Music (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHF...PETzNtEUbgGBuw) helpful since I had no experience with string instruments. Good job on the darks in the fireplace
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 08:18 PM

Hails from Spain

Pine Cone, your experience with French is quite normal. Learning a new language is a demanding task and requires a lot of time and dedication. At first I was naive too, I thought a few months of private lesson would be enough to improve my English up to advance level. Ha! as you say, who was I kidding? But of course that doesn't apply to Spanish, Spanish is much easier

Joan T, thanks. Nice Tobby and great museum sketch and semi sleeping man. So you studied Spanish and Italian. They are not interchangeable but phonetics are very similar so you could take up Spanish again and join Pine Cone who is almost convinced.

Ai, I had a Thai classmate one year in high school. At the end of the year he could speak some Spanish. So, you know, you could join Pine Cone and Joan T in their efforts learning Spanish, I am sure that by now they have already started.

Jo. I am sure your Spanish is good. Grammar is not such a big barrier (for us to understand you) and having a large vocabulary is a huge advantage. Nice chair, I should buy one of those. The fireplace is wonderful!

EP, thanks. Great dog sketch! Nice reflections and shadows. Surely there must be some nice songs in Spanish for the ukulele. Maybe you should enjoy some Spanish lessons too.

Joe, thanks and thanks . Beautiful candle! I hope I didn't mislead you with my comments on the pencils. I tried mine again and it's not as I remembered (I used a different paper this time), the feeling is not that close to that of a graphite pencil. I find it a nice pencil anyway and hope you do so too. Laziness keeps me from using my erasers but I will work on that. How is your Spanish? Everybody else is already practicing.

PS. Sorry about the silly Spanish jokes (except in Jo's case and the first part of Ai's which is true)
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 08:25 PM

Hails from Spain

3-Zig zag (shoe cords) - Pentel water brush filled with fountain pen ink and a touch of water (with another water brush)
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 10:25 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Everyone — Your various comments about the "extra" wine 🍷 made me smile because they brought back a memory of one of my favorite evenings. No need to tell that story here, especially with no sketch to make the storytelling forgivable, so I'll just add that on that evening (G-rated, I promise), I discovered that there is such a thing as "extra" wine hard as that is to believe and leave it to each of you to imagine how that could possibly be

Toby!!! — Look at you 😍 😂 {{{ Toby }}}

Joan — Your shaggy sketch of Toby is priceless!!! 😍 Fantastic watercolors also — I've been coming back to see them again and enjoy. The way you found to portray the scale of the exhibit is ingenious, and your portrayal of the insouciant guy is quite special.

Jo — I love your sketch of Gene's rocker. It has a rustic look that's very appealing to me 😌 I could imagine rocking back and forth in a breeze and counting birds in the clouds 😃 I wish I was in front of that fireplace right now. All my life, I've never been able to warm up in the winter no matter how high I set the thermostat, but that sketch makes me feel a little warmer ☀️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo
Study of a language is good for a person. Helps keep the brain on its toes, right?
I'm still waiting for that to kick in But you know, they say miracles happen so can't hurt 😉 Have fun with your new ukulele 🐚

Joe — Thanks, and I agree about the wise perspectives that you and individuo offered me re: the BBC *bows to both*

Your drip-drip candle and the intricate holder are lovely with the graceful curve of the handle, and its excellent perspectives and shading ☀️ You've taken to the carbon like a fish to water!!! 😍

EP — Thanks! Fun mannekin [toy for Toby 😉] Love the rusty shades and fun accents 😄

individuo — Love your sketch of the shoe - especially the hints of details and crumpliness (not a word?) and the easy shading near the intense shading — beautifully sketched 😊 I think that The Napping Man that Joan sketched might have been wearing these 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by individuo
Pine Cone, Learning a new language is a demanding task and requires a lot of time and dedication. At first I was naive too, I thought a few months of private lesson would be enough to improve my English up to advance level. Ha! as you say, who was I kidding? But of course that doesn't apply to Spanish, Spanish is much easier

Joan T, you could take up Spanish again and join Pine Cone who is almost convinced.

Ai, So, you know, you could join Pine Cone and Joan T in their efforts learning Spanish, I am sure that by now they have already started.

EP, Surely there must be some nice songs in Spanish for the ukulele. Maybe you should enjoy some Spanish lessons too.

Joe, How is your Spanish? Everybody else is already practicing.

I laughed so much I think I may have injured myself

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

Last edited by Pine Cone : 12-30-2019 at 10:34 PM.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2019, 01:47 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munin Raven
7. Glue - as in you're stuck in some random shopping establishment, and just want it all to end so you can go home, but your other half... girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/husband etc... insists on extra ventures. So, you go up to the cafe on the second floor, order a beverage, then sit and wait... or in my case, scribble.

Ha ha ha... I know what you mean; I am the side of the other half you are referring to ... though lately I am moving toward minimalism and reduce my shopping trips down a heap...

Munin BTW, were there a clip on YouTube that you did an art instruction content on it? May I have the link pls. Thanks.

Everyone: Awesome witty messages and inspiring and cozy sketches ... they made my holiday super special. Thanks.

Painting is my soul. My blog.

Last edited by Eye : 12-31-2019 at 02:44 AM.