WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Pen and Ink Help Desk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2015, 05:52 AM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Barn door

Yes Jeffro, you're right that some directionality is maintained when the lines cross at an angle of less than 45 degrees however I'm not sure whether maintaining directionality was the prime purpose in doing hatching this way. I have read in a number of period books that it makes for a more lively effect & avoids the static dullness of a "square based tartan" type effect.
Certainly it isn't something that we've discussed here, the whole concept of crosshatching in this way is surely worthy of serious consideration to overcome some of the reservations we've expressed. Good thinking!
Mike
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2015, 08:11 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Please be aware that this thread is, or should be, about Watercolour lover's Barn Door!

To continue your very interesting theories and discussion about hatching/cross hatching etc, please take them to this thread , specifically about that.

I haven't read any of yesterday's posts here but if they are more relevant to the other thread I will move them across.

As it is John's thread, I shall ask his opinion before doing that!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hmm ? I don't understand your thinking here Maureen , the conversation grew directly out of Watercolour Lovers use of crosshatching, then other people posted their versions of it & then a discussion on the pro's & cons of hatching ensued including different techniques. Oh I forgot the sojourn into the principles of offering critique & wondering whether appreciation of art was totally subjective !- all of which was relevant to the moment & occurred as a response to another contributor within the thread.
Surely though this is the natural flow of conversation & indeed is what very often happens after the initial conversation about the drawing has petered out & moved on to discuss the broader issues raised by the original post. obviously it would be rude to change the subject or let it veer off before that time.
So what is the regime you wish to bring in here ? is it strict adherence to the original post as you judge it ? are we to start up a new "mini thread" to cover any possible temporary tangents that natural conversation throws up?
Sometimes some interesting stuff comes up in this forum & more often than not it is at the conclusion of various threads.
Quite honestly I feel as if normal/ natural conversation is being stifled here & for no good reason.
Respectfully
Mike
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2015, 10:29 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Mike - it's not that the discussions are not interesting and even relevant in places, simply that they could be off-topic for the thread starter, meaning it's easy to hi-jack a thread because some find side issues.

Yes, I too like the flow of discussion to be uninterrupted, but if the side-track becomes more important than the original thread, that may not be a good thing ..... so, there's now a dedicated thread for that side-track

I have consulted John, the starter of this thread and if he's happy that things should stay as they are, that's fine - BUT, it is his thread about his work and we should respect that.

Sometimes an idea or opinion is introduced, discussed briefly, and has a natural conclusion - but other times it seems to take off .. just a thought that this may be one of those times?

Apart from that, this particular side-track about opinions/ideas of a specific method/technique has merits of it's own which are worth exploring - and a dedicated thread with appropriate title is the right way to do it - because people may view such a thread (and not a 'work/image' thread) when needing specific information and a search at a later point will bring it to the fore. It will also make this thread available to any subsequent discussion because the two are linked for archival purposes.

I certainly don't want to be heavy-handed .. not my way! If John, the originator of this thread is happy to leave things as they are, then I'll leave 'em. (Though I do think many points and examples given here would be of benefit to the other thread also).

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Lord of the Arts

Ok thanks for that Maureen, certainly the search engines would pick up a topic much more easily if it was titled as such, that important point hadn't even occurred to me, I must admit.
I must also admit to a large anti-authoritarian streak & an allergy to being administrated - even with your light touch ! Sorry about that .
Cheers
Mike
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

[quote=Charlie's Mum]Please be aware that this thread is, or should be, about Watercolour lover's Barn Door!

To continue your very interesting theories and discussion about hatching/cross hatching etc, please take them to this thread , specifically about that.

I haven't read any of yesterday's posts here but if they are more relevant to the other thread I will move them across.

As it is John's thread, I shall ask his opinion before doing that![/QUOTE

(This is from John aka Watercolour lover) I'm amazed at the brisk discussion my Barn Door post generated, and I'm inclined to agree with Maureen that apart from giving me good advice, this subject obviously warrants the new thread started. I'm impressed with those of you who took the trouble to download my original image and actually do your version of my submission. It's time I bowed out of this discussion, as such, and suggest the new thread is the perfect place to explore this in depth. I will follow all this closely as this is exactly the kind of peer group advice I need. Thank you all again, and I'll maybe see you in the new thread?
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2015, 12:58 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

That's OK Mike

John, thank you for this .......... and over to the other other thread for peripheral discussions

Don't worry, anyone, if you post your "hatching/crossing/matchings" in here by mistake, I can move them to join the discussion elsewhere.

**My SAA website**