Home Forums Explore Subjects Inspirational Art Bible Book Cover W.I.P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    jonc50

This is a work in progress that should be completed quite slowly. There is a large number of detailing aspects that are quite time consuming. I’ve chosen this particular forum since it seems to move quite slowly and fits in with the Inspirational aspect of the work. My grandson is very keen with regards to the Christian faith and has just purchased a new bible. I volunteered to make a bible cover to carry his new bible to church every week.
        I’m showing work that I had painted on my lunch bucket from a painting that was in a book which was doing the illustration for this book from the scriptures. The work is quite detailed and fits into the New Testament portion in Matthew, Mark, and Luke and goes directly to the theme of the passages quoted. Matt. 27:32; Mark 15:21; and Luke 23:26 which all write of this peculiar incident on the way to Calvary, outside the city of Jerusalem. The bible cover will be painted similarly to fit the size of the outside cover.
        While it may be slow and tedious, it will be detailed in each phase to keep interest in the progress.
        This first presentation is from the work on the side of my lunch bucket which was painted over acrylic (white) and then painted with acrylic artist’s paint and then sealed with a clear coat of acrylic. The work on the book cover will not be able to put all of that work in due to the size of the book cover compared to the lunch bucket. This first piece will be my acrylic work on the lunch bucket to be used for the work on the leather book cover. The original may be a bit awkward to see all the details.

jonc50

jonc50

The lower left corner is the top of the box for the bible that will spend time in the case which we are building.
                The sheet below all the implements is the leather piece that will be cut to order for the size of the pieces.
                The case in the upper right corner is a previous build which was made perhaps 15 years ago for my wife’s bible. This will help me to proceed with this particular case as I look at the way the case was built…I’m already wondering where all my particular tools have disappeared to. While this work was only illustrated on the upper side with the back piece (all one piece) blank.

jonc50

The lower left corner is the top of the box (facing the inside) for the bible that will spend time in the case which we are building.
                    The sheet below all the implements is the leather piece that will be cut to order for the size of the pieces.
                    The case in the upper right corner is a previous build which was made perhaps 15 years ago for my wife’s bible. This will help me to proceed with this particular case as I look at the way the case was built…I’m already wondering where all my particular tools have disappeared to. While this work was only illustrated on the upper side with the back piece (all one piece) blank.

I added a couple of words to make it clearer.:)

jonc50

This is the cover box for the bible that will be home in the project. The paper is an outline for the right size that will be able to take the book which is inside the box cover. This will be used to draw the outline on the piece of leather before I cut this outside wrap-around. The cover will then have a bit of artwork from the lunch box scene.

jonc50

This paper will be the outline for the bible case when I trace it onto the leather.

jonc50

This is the trimmed piece of leather that will be the outside of the case.

jonc50

I’m going to try a test piece to see how this piece of leather will react. I’m using a piece of scrap to draw a figure that will be used as part of the picture. This is one of the participants in the crucifixion scene. I’ll start with cutting in the outline then using a burnishing tool to push the leather down around the outlining to give an effect of shape. This will need the leather to be wetted with water to be able to compress and mold the figure (which will hold that pose as it dries out.)
                                    I’ll also show some of the tools that I’m using for this process.

This is cut with a small X-acto knife as all of the cutting will be done using this for the outline. The cut is going to a depth that will give some area that can be compressed by a burnishing tool which is also shown. Some of the larger expanses will also be covered by the use of some small punches that compress the leather with a more levelling affect in broader areas.

jonc50

This is done with the burnishing tool after the outline has been cut by the X-acto knife.

jonc50

More detail may be added but this is just a quick check to see how the leather is responding and how well the tools do their job. When the carving is finished, the scene will be painted with acrylics. This is a view of two of the main tools. The X-acto is for outlining and detailing the cuts and the burnishing tool compresses the edging where the cuts are defined…also some of the definitions may have no cutting.

jonc50

These are the two main instruments used for this portion of the work.

jonc50

These two photos show the edge of the burnishing tool.

jonc50

jonc50

This is a rough outline, (quite detailed) for the art work on the case. I drew it in with pencil and will cut it with the X-acto knife.

jonc50

At this point the leather has to be wet on both sides for the work with the burnishing tool. The drawings are outlined with the X-acto knife and then burnished in which ever side will give definition to the object. The cutting will cover a large area and then the burnishing will follow along. This can be done in stages to suit your desire. The area worked on will need replenishing with the water cloth as you move from place to place.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.