WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2019, 08:32 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Free website, limited features OK, for someone just beginning to sell?

I haven't had many sales - I haven't really tried much yet - but am thinking of that as a goal for the future. I've got one small exhibit coming up and I'd like to have a gallery up on some artist's website that I could list on my business card. It would be great it if came with maybe some limited possibilities for sales. Most of the sites I've found either charge (and I'm not ready to commit to that), or if they're free, look kinda clunky - not the image I'm going for! I don't know if it matters, but I guess I would describe my art as "Expressionistic Realism" or at least that's the direction I'm trying to head in. A site that offers only highly realistic artwork would probably not be right for me.

Can anybody recommend a site that offers a website and some purchase feature that doesn't charge? I wouldn't mind paying a commission for any paintings that did sell. The 30-day trial that many sites offer wouldn't really work well either because the exhibit will be for about a month, and I'd be concerned that if I cancelled my subscription, a potential client wouldn't be able to reach me. Perhaps I'm looking for something that doesn't exist, but I'm hoping such a site is out there. TIA for any suggestions.

And any suggestions or checklists to use for planning/executing one's first coffee shop exhibit would be much appreciated as well.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 01-31-2019 at 08:37 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Free website, limited features OK, for someone just beginning to sell?

I use the minimum free weebly.com site and include my email link for anyone interested in buying. No luck so far.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

My experience is if you want a payment processor, you have to pay for the platform that supports it. The only other way to do it is perhaps through putting Paypal Buy Now buttons on a free site, and I don't know how to do that. Usually with a free site they are not going to give you the capability to modify the site that much.

It's an investment in your business. You can afford it if you have cable, for instance. Turn off the cable and use the money you spend on it now to invest in a good web site with a payment processor and decent templates and use the money you have left over each month to buy art supplies. If not, well, consider that $30/mo is one dollar a day. Can you not afford that investment in your business?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2019, 12:31 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Thanks, Yorkie and Harold!

Heh, Harold, I've already dropped cable, and Netflix too, just to afford supplies! I'm really not productive enough at this point to justify the expense of a full website. My main stumbling block is that having a "studio" in my very small living room seems to be a disincentive to paint.

Maybe I'll try weebly, as Yorkie suggests, or something like saatchi. For the time being one of those might work. Or, maybe I'll just continue to send people to my instagram page, where I ask people to DM me if interested in any painting. I've got that on my business card right now. For this exhibit, I'll have business cards available too.

Do either of you know of a site similar to saachi but in the U.S.?

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 02-02-2019 at 12:45 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2019, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

You can take payments on Instagram if you have a Facebook business page and they approve you. I haven't tried it yet, because I've read the process can be difficult. But it is worth a try. That would be free.

You can also take payments on Etsy. I left when they started up a subscription service, so I don't know if now they make everyone pay. At the time, they were saying if people paid $20+/mo, they got premium service--i.e., they got a boost in Etsy's search. If you were not needing to depend on Etsy's search results and could just direct people to your pages from outside of Etsy, it would work, I think. You just have to be careful how you give a link to a page in your shop. You can do it in a way that results for others don't show on your own page. At least, you used to be able to do that. They charge about 5% or something like that for a processing fee for each sale.

I hear ya about having to carve out a studio from living space. I live in a loft and until last summer, I had a corner of it as my studio--complete with cat hairs, etc. Even though I totally cannot afford it and I always have to pay the rent late, I got a studio in the same complex, and it has done wonders for my painting. I know I have to make it worth that money, so I go over there at least twice a day for painting sessions. My production has gone from a painting every two weeks to about two paintings/week, sometimes a lot more. It is expensive, but it is nice to be able to just walk down the alley.

One thing I considered was renting a small office. These are usually about $100/mo where I am and include all utilities. Just don't tell them you want to paint and put a tarp down on the carpet.

I think saatchiart.com is in the US. It's separate from Saatchi gallery in the UK. In fact there was a bit of a kerfuffle about saatchiart.com using that name. Ugallery is another one online that is free but there's a jurying to get on there.

Last edited by Harold Roth : 02-02-2019 at 08:55 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2020, 07:10 AM

Yes, there are free website builders that could easily accomadate that. Google free website builder. Wix seems to be a good one.

Also consider Weebly and SquaredSpace

You can’t go wrong with any of the major free site builders.

Squarespace is not free though but seo friendly. I already have a basic hosting subscription for a different personal portfolio, I wouldn't have to put much more money normally, except for the domain name and some plug-ins or themes maybe.