WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2020, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

Adding prices to my website. Also: FASO?

Hi all,

I'm thinking it's time for me to add prices to my website. I've had some recent success in local sales and juried shows (and I just got into Plein Air Easton, which is exciting!), and more and more people are suggesting to me that I add prices to my site. My only current gallery representation is a show that ends in April. Right now I use Squarespace; the link is in my signature below. I don't show all my work there at once; I rotate paintings in and out. I'm sure not all of it is saleable, but some of it is; I've sold a couple dozen paintings, mostly through shows, a couple times via the website. I have some questions:

1. First, is Squarespace a reasonable option for adding prices, or should I consider making the switch to FASO? There are things I like about FASO: the relatively standard way it handles price/cart/more info, and the "view in room" feature. It would also be nice to participate in the included BoldBrush competition. But my current site has 3-4 years worth of blog posts that I worked hard on, and it would not be easy to transfer those over. Also, I have the sense that my site loads faster than FASO sites.

2. Is it best to use tax-inclusive pricing? That is, set up tax rules for all states, and make the price include any state tax. Or is it more common to add tax after the user puts the painting in the cart?

3. Likewise, what's the best way to handle shipping? Offer free basic shipping and charge a premium for faster options?

4. Alternatively, maybe I don't need a cart at all -- just "contact artist about this artwork"? That saves on the added fee for ecommerce, yes?

5. Finally, maybe I should wait and see how my sales go at my current show and at Easton, then make a push for an online gallery like UGallery or brick-and-mortar representation?

I'm not sure what to do, and I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Last edited by Grotius : 02-17-2020 at 11:17 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2020, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Adding prices to my website. Also: FASO?

I don't know much of anything about FASO, but I can say that blog posts do attract visitors, so I would not give that up.

It is a good idea to put a buy button next to every work with the price on it. If you want people to buy your work, don't make it difficult. If you sell in other venues, great, but there is no reason to reject income because it came from online buyers. The only issue is pricing--a gallery is going to want 50%.

The free shipping thing is always controversial. I personally allow the cart to calculate it. You can set it up by weight. The big problem with free shipping is when you get a purchase from abroad.

I have never included tax in my pricing. It is always calculated separately. But I would worry only about sales tax in your state. Other states are not your problem, at least, not yet.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2020, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply, Harold. I appreciate your taking the time to advise me.

On taxes, I'm unclear on what I'm required to pay. I thought if a buyer from a different state purchased from me, I had to apply the buyer's state tax. But maybe not? If the buyer is from overseas, I'll have to charge VAT or whatnot, won't I? This is one of the things that makes me hesitate about adding a buy-now cart.

FASO doses support blogs, so in theory I could migrate my old blog over, but I think I'd have to do it manually for each of my 100-odd posts, copy-and-pasting the text and reposting the images. Almost every blog post has an image, so that would be a lot of time and effort. Not sure it's worth the effort unless FASO is clearly superior to Squarespace for art sales, BoldBrush, etc.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

You only collect sales tax in states where you have a nexus--where you have your studio/where you sell out of (your office). That's it. As for VAT, you collect that if you live in Europe. Otherwise, it is not your problem, although customers might have to pay it upon the import of your painting. That's up to their customs department. I've been selling online for 20+ years, and I have seen things change a lot, but we do not have to collect sales tax for all the states and countries of the world. Only the ones where we live and work.

I'm going to move my blog, so I hear ya about it being tedious to do. I still think it is worth it, though.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2020, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks. Harold. That tax info is very reassuring.

So you’re switching website platforms? As I mentioned, I’ve been thinking about moving from Squarespace to FASO.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2020, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I have my shop on Shopify, but although a blog comes with it, it's lousy because you sit there writing a post and when you are ready to post it, it won't let you because it has a forced logout after not very long and you lose everything. This aggravated me, so I got a separate blog on Wordpress. But I have noticed that over and over people check out my blog on Shopify. So I am going to transfer the blog from Wordpress to Shopify. I think about two years' worth of posts, but I haven't been very disciplined about posting, so it shouldn't be too many posts. Mine have images too. I just really need to consolidate all the stuff I have here and there.

Shopify has its own payment gateway, which is okay. I haven't had a problem with it so far--about four years, I think.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2020, 12:50 AM
Enthusiast

A belated thanks for your reply, Harold. (I got lax about checking this forum.) I like the look of your site -- and your art!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2020, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Thank you! Glad to be of help.