WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2018, 09:40 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

The Spotlight - January 2019 - Winter Wildlife

Welcome artists!

Here is a quick recap of what The Spotlight is all about!

The Spotlight is an activity thread for pastel artists of all experience levels working from photos chosen by a monthly host. Most months, the host will choose photos from only one subject, putting that subject into “the spotlight,” so to speak! For example, one month the subject will be painting water, another month will spotlight flowers, etc.

Some months, rather than spotlight a subject, the focus will be on a challenge of some sort. In those cases, we might have a wider variety of photo references, but “the spotlight” will be on the challenge itself.

Since this is a group activity, we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, “no-pressure” atmosphere.

And, remember, no critiques unless specifically asked for.

The intent is to have fun, try new things, experiment, and perhaps most of all, to see what our friends and colleagues are painting from the same reference material!

Please note: The photos this month were taken by me or are from the Reference Image Library. You have permission to use the photos as reference to create your artwork and to sell them and/or exhibit them. The actual photos still retain the copyright of the photographer. So you cannot copy the photo to your blog, for example, without the permission of the photographer, or digitally alter or reproduce the photo for any purpose other than for your personal use, with the exception of crops, digital alterations and posts of these photos within "The Spotlight" thread.

This month we put the Spotlight on...Winter Wildlife!

This month's Spotlight is kind of self explanatory...we've got winter and we've got wildlife. Well, some of the wildlife may not be that wild since they have taken refuge in various parks in and near our cities, but hopefully they will make some nice references!

Photo by Dave Slaughter

Photo by vmrs

Photo by blackhorse

Photos by me

Best wishes to everyone for a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Happy Painting!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2019, 12:03 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: The Spotlight - January 2019 - Winter Wildlife

Happy New Year to you Don and all the Spotlighters! That first photo of the Coyote takes me back. I painted him, along with another, back in 2008 or 9. Wonder if I can find an image.......

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2019, 12:18 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Here we are. It was 2009. I had a thing for flipping photos then And I think I tried to draw every hair with my pastel pencils. Must have spent ages sharpening them

I may give this one another go, taking a risk that it will not be as good!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2019, 05:17 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Happy New Year, Don and Ruthie!!! Oh my, I do not remember the painting from 2009. Beautiful. Thank you for bringing it back to this thread.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2019, 07:30 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Ruthie, So glad to see your painting again! It is quite lovely!

Don

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2019, 08:38 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Thanks so much Karen and Don. I know I was very pleased with this one when I finished it. Even framed it and later used the frame for another painting which I sold. But it does look cut and pasted to me now. Plus I suspect I traced the Coyotes out. I'm in a slump right now, don't know what to paint. So I'll give this another go from the ref above. I may even post it here.......

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

And here it is. Freehand drawing which went down surprisingly quickly. No flip this time but I put him in the dark. "Caught by Moonlight" 8x14" on Uart black. This one may not appeal so much but it was fun and took around 90 minutes. I think the other one took somewhere in the region of 12 hours!

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2019, 02:09 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Well done! In 90 minutes, I'd still be arguing with myself...which direction will he run...which palette should I consider...hmmm, sanded or non sanded. I don't think you're in a slump now.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2019, 03:53 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Thank you Karen! I didn't have much time basically and I wanted to paint! I did pick up a piece of Canson first but then saw this odd shaped piece of Uart dark. It was the dark paper that made me think of moonlight for this one so I just did it. I never have to think much about my palette where blue and orange are concerned. I think it may need a few tweaks tomorrow.....or I may do that Fox in the moonlight.......

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2019, 05:06 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

You are officially un-slumped, Ruthie! Your original painting is really beautiful and I like the new, looser moonlit version too. I agree with Karen about the 90 minutes ... I can stare at the blank paper for that long!

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Sarasota, Florida

Hails from United States

Nicely done Ruth! I certainly doesn’t show that you were in a slump! What it does show is what ease you paint today! 10 years ago it took you 12 hours to do your first painting, and today, only 90 minutes! You were an inspiration to me then, andI hope to see more of your contributions on this site going forward! FYI, I’ve been in a slump for quite along time now! Hope that changes for me soon!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2019, 08:14 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Ruthie, Very nicely done! If you are in a slump, then your slump is better than my very best!

Don

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2019, 09:58 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Happy New Year everyone.

Don, the references are stunning.

Ruthie...I have no words for the beauty of the “caught by Moonlight.” Even the title is inspired.

I’m anxious to paint. Soon.

JAY
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2019, 12:24 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Donna, thank you! If I'd had more time I may have considered it more....or I may have decided I didn't want to do it. I didn't want to as I was drawing it out, but then it became fun.
Hi Cali, Thank you so much! Long time no see! The slump was really just not knowing what to do. I wanted to paint but nothing inspired me. I do hope you come out of your slump soon. Why not this month, with the Spotlight?
Don, thanks, it's nice to be here again. Have you noticed I often turn up here in the new year, then it slides again. I haven't painted since this one, but I have been busy sorting my pastels and putting them into my new tray that Hubby made for me
Hiya Jay and thanks. yes, get painting again! And where better than right here......

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2019, 01:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Ok. I get points for tying. Don, I'm posting so you can see I tried. But my fox became a raccoon. My mountain became a volcano, with an earthquake: the houses are crooked. From 50 feet away, it looks great!!! I have only done one animal in pastel and i don't think i'll rush to choose one again. But here goes. 12 x 16 It even has a title. "Maybe they'll let the chickens out now that it's spring." All comments welcome. Seriously..how to do fur.
Attached Images

JAY