WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Pen and Ink Help Desk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 03:47 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Re: Ink Samples and Setting Up Lightfastness Tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakinme
Rainy, ROFL. Yes, lock yourself in some secure place or you would be black and blue before you know it. The things we do for art. I put on so much gear when I do soft pastels that I could be in a surgery on the table.

That Private Reserve Chocolate now looks a bit too red for me when washed. I'll try my walnut ink today but it's only with dip pen.

Jamie, I saw the Preppy fountain pen at Jetpens but it's a medium nib, isn't it? Can you post the link to refilling with eyedropper method please?

Thanks.

Sandra, the Preppy pens are available in .3 (fine) and .5 (medium). Here's a YouTube link to Brian's Preppy Conversion video. I know there's a way to embed it in the post, but I don't know how.

Jamie

One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Jamie, thank you for the video. I have always wondered how to convert it so it's that simple. Has one of these preppy's plastic casing cracked before? It's a lot of ink to leak into your handbag. Or should I zipbloc it just in case?

Thank you for the link.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:13 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I ordered the platinum pretty from Goulet along with some ink sames. . . they charge $3.60 for ink drop members and another $2 they convert it to eyedropper for you. . . so mine was $5.6o plus I also ordered one that was $6 and came already as an eyedropper version and also had an interchangeable rollerball point. You can see them if you log into the Ink Drop on their page.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:24 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakinme
Jamie, thank you for the video. I have always wondered how to convert it so it's that simple. Has one of these preppy's plastic casing cracked before? It's a lot of ink to leak into your handbag. Or should I zipbloc it just in case?

Thank you for the link.

Sandra, I don't know how to advise. I haven't done any conversions yet. Let's see how Rainy does with hers and if it leaks! I have a syringe refill kit for cartridges, so I think I'll empty the ink from the cartridge and just use that as a converter instead, and refill more often. I do have one Platinum converter that works for both the Preppy pens and my Kuretake brush pen. If I find a color I'm absolutely WILD about, I'll put it into a Preppy eyedropper pen. As Brian says in the video, that's a LOT of ink!

Rainy, great to hear they can do the conversions for us if need be! How do you like the rollerball?

Jamie

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

It didn't come yet, Jamie. . . I ordered that stuff just a few days ago. I will let you know once it arrives.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I got the book that Tuan mentioned from the library on Saturday (the one I put on hold) and it mentioned of all things, about sizing paper with gelatin! In addition to using a brush or dunking, it also mention spraying and gives proportions. Very interested to see if it work . . . are you going to try it Jamie? I did my test of the red dragon on the raffine and need to take a picture of the two side by side later, I'm off to take one of the dogs to the vet this morning with a hurt foot.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

If you don't mind me adding but I won't be testing for lightfastness.

This ink is called Pen & Ink Sketch No-Shellac India Black Fountain Pen Ink made in China for Art Supply Enterprises in Emeryville CA. I got it from my local art store but you could get it from Amazon.

I didn't realize it was non-bleeding even when washed this morning. I was like, geez, what is wrong with this ink? Why could I no tease much color out of it. I usually do the entire piece first and then wash last and of course by then it's all dried up and very very faint black got teased out. But now that I know, I could use it more often especially for houses.

The skeleton and the house is drawn with this ink. The house I washed very quickly. The skeleton, I washed too late. The rest of the scribbles are with a Pilot G7 gel pen.

This one is Walnut Drawing Ink by Tom Norton Designs in Cambridge, MA. I bought it from Cheap Joe's. It has shellac and so I have to use dip pen. I like the color and I should have never washed it with a brush. It dissolved instantly and wiped out all the detailed windows. I had to go back in and redo them. This ink looks classier without being washed.

In response to March Landscape Challenge

Walnut Drawing Ink
Pen Sketcher's sketchbook 5.5 x 8.5 inch 70 lbs Bee Company

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

always cool to see ink tests, Sandra. . . thanks. I like the color of that walnut ink. I ordered a few other brown samples as while I like the chocolat, its a bit more red that I am looking for. Great city scene, btw!

here is the red dragon ink. . . first is handbook, second is raffine. I actually like both books but they are different for sure. The raffine takes way more washes and the pen does run smoother over that one than on the handbook. I blurred out some of the text since it was unrelated

ok. . . sorry. . . the uploader is not letting me load the pict right now. . . will try later or tomorrow
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Sandra, thank you for contributing to our ink samples!

Here's Private Reserve Velvet Black with wash (using a waterbrush), across a two page spread in my Fabriano Venezia book. (Paper is Fabriano Academia, I believe, and has great sizing for wash and watercolor work. Pens glide across it pretty easily.) I love the soft violet undertones of this ink.

Jamie

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States
trying again

great sketch, Jamie. I love the Black Velvet, too, the more I use it. Have you tried any other private reserve besides that and chocolat? Just wondering if in general the PR washes better than the Noodlers. Playing with inks have been capturing my artist side lately, too!

red dragon samples
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Rainy, that Red Dragon washes very well. However, I prefer the more subtle and varied tones of your Chocolat sample.

Yes, I've played with a couple of others, but I'm not wanting to give an opinion on a particular company at this point. There are many more inks I'd like to try, and many of the inks that wash really well have been shown to not be lightfast. So, I'm just testing and observing. I plan to do some sketching today with Nightshade, so I should have a better feel for that one by the end of the day.

Jamie

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 PM

I love the sketch, Jamie. I noticed you used a Preppy. What is your evaluation of the Preppy as a sketching pen? I don't mean its elegance in the fountain pen world, just its performance as a daily carry tool for sketching. My question is intentionally vague, because you know a lot more about artists' tools than I do, and I'd be interested in whatever thoughts you might have.

(This question is also for anyone else who has used a Preppy.)
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Jamie, beautiful piece. There's so much to do with ink and wash.

I've rated this thread excellent too.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

man, I just realized my samples disappeared. Must have happened with I tired to change from attachment to embeded. oh well. . . if anyone wants to see it, let me know and will post it again. *sigh* but I dod agree with you Jamie. . . the high chroma inks don't give as good shading it seems. Although the red dragon is not nearly as high as the hematite. . . it does wash to a little brownish area.

I rated this one five too. . .
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 11:00 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Tuan and Sandra, thank you so much for your kind comments. I can't wait to do more!

Tuan:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan
I love the sketch, Jamie. I noticed you used a Preppy. What is your evaluation of the Preppy as a sketching pen?

I'm using a Preppy with the .5 nib. I like it a lot. It has great flow, and I wanted a "fast" pen. Sometimes when I sketch, I work faster than the pen can lay down ink, but this one kept up with me pretty well. I do find it tough starting, and have to tap the tip several times to get the ink running. I think the top might not close as tightly as my Lamy pens do, but for a three dollar pen that writes well, I don't mind having to give it a few taps! LOL I've only tried it with this one ink, so cannot comment on how it would behave with others yet, nor on the performance of the .3 tip.

Jamie