WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2017, 10:22 PM
South Kingstown , Rhode Island

Hails from United States
Has anyone thought of quitting and destroying ones art?

This question may not be appropriate for this forum. But the thought has crossed my mind lately. Has anyone else questioned the worth of their Art. Questioned their talent?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2017, 10:57 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Re: Has anyone thought of quitting and destroying ones art?

I would imagine pretty much every artist has times when they don't feel confident in their ability - or realize that there are others far more talented than they. But that is no reason to quit or destroy the artwork that they have created, in my opinion.

I guess the bigger question is why do you create art in the first place? If it gives you no satisfaction, then there is no reason to continue. But perhaps in the future, you will feel the urge again.

As for the worth of my art...it probably has none! But the desire to create something beautiful or aesthetic - even if one rarely succeeds - must be worth something, don't you think?

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Going through this myself. For some time now. Seems my muse has moved out and left me all alone. I think about painting something, have a couple of pieces to finish. Yet I just don't have the desire to do it right now. But I don't think I'll destroy anything I've done before this. It constitutes all the things I've learned over the years and a lot of hard work!

Christine Neidhofer
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast
Outside of Darwin Northern Territory

Hails from Australia

I have thought about quitting lots of times, I think Don is right we probably all do at some stage but other than to paint something over an old painting that didn't work I wouldn't destroy my paintings.
I'm like Christine too, maybe our muses have gone on holiday together
Deanna

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 11:44 PM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea
I have thought about quitting lots of times, I think Don is right we probably all do at some stage but other than to paint something over an old painting that didn't work I wouldn't destroy my paintings.
I'm like Christine too, maybe our muses have gone on holiday together
Deanna

LOL...I think mine took a year's leave of absence!

Christine Neidhofer
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Switzerland, Geneva

Hails from Switzerland

I know what you mean. You can not destroy art. Art has no end, but it has a beginning. Art is a process of discovery. I watch my first pieces all the time. How far have I come. I could not destroy any of mine. I could not just erase 3 years of learning. Without my first pieces something is missing. One is not born an artist. You become one. What would you throw away? And then say, look this is my first piece, just because it seems better than the ones you destroyed. Sure, my first piece was already great. I am a natural born artist. Na, I could not live that lie. My evaluation and progress is compared against my own bad work not against somebody elses good work. I worked hard to get the results I have now. And I have proof. Don't destroy nothing, just start a graveyard.

Just my two cents.

My first watercolors
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1416891
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:43 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Colorado

Hails from United States

I hate to see art destroyed because I think there are many homes waiting for it. Have you heard of the Art Abandonment Project? There's a book and also a Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ArtAbandonment

Jan
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2017, 09:31 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

I have been pleased overall with my work for the last two years until yesterday when I went to a gallery where several of my pieces are hanging. I hadn't been in there for about a month. Seeing them anew, I was anticipating that I would be happy with the display but I found myself pretty disappointed in how they looked other than one painting. When I first took them to the gallery months ago I thought they were pretty dang good, but now I feel like I need to improve my work significantly.

I also visited several other galleries in the area that day that had impressed me in the past, but I found it difficult to find more than a handful of paintings in all but two of the galleries that really attracted me. I was looking for a new gallery to consider moving to but most of them made me feel like I would not want to have my work there. Maybe I was in overly critical mood that day or perhaps my expectations have changed. The feeling was pretty strong that I wanted to take all my stuff down in the one gallery and abandon the idea of trying to get some of the others.

Out of 13 total galleries, there were only two within a 90 mile radius that still impressed me with a goodly portion of their display and made me think it would be advantageous for me to be in there. Unfortunately both of them only accept nationally recognized, award winning artist's, which I am not.....yet.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
Marin Co., California

Hails from United States

Am I the only one here that has destroyed many of my pieces??

I don't know about others, but I've gotten to a point that I am not really attached to my art, except for an occasional piece. I used to love every painting I created and in my early days, would never have gotten rid of even a sketch.

As far as giving up, yes, there are times I actually have given up painting in favor of other endeavors like weaving or knitting. But I don't get many months along, and find myself pulling out my pastels again or other supplies to paint. Last year I went almost a year with only doing a few paintings because of health problems, but now I'm back and didn't realize how much I missed it.

The bigger question to me, is why do I even create art in the first place?? This I have not been able to answer. I used to create art with the desire to exhibit and sell my work. I have been in several shows now and have sold 3 paintings, and had my own exhibit at the local library. Now that "phase" and those desires have faded. I now could care less if I ever sell another painting. But still, I desire to create, but honestly cannot say why. I continue to enter an occasional show, mainly because I have friends that do and it is fun. I am also very thick ed skinned and am not bothered if my piece isn't accepted.

My biggest advice for those wishing to destroy their art and give up painting. Do not destroy your very first paintings, even if you hate them. Don't destroy everything at once. Sometimes I find just thinning my work by a few paintings is enough, but I continue to go through my work every year and purge. Save the early paintings so when you get more accomplished, you will look back and see how much you improved. Do not sell off your art supplies, or if you feel the need, keep at least a minimum set of your pastels and good paper. You never know when you might get the urge to paint again and you don't want to go out and start over buying supplies.

And, if you are considering destroying your art, especially if only a few paintings, realize that you will not be objective in the matter. I once had a painting teacher who disagreed with almost every painting of mine on what was a strong piece, what was not. She told me that often our own personal favorites have more to do with the type of experience we had while painting. If we were happy and found the painting experience enjoyable, we often look at that piece and cannot see flaws. If we struggled with a painting, had a crummy experience painting it, we often equate it as a weak piece even if it is a strong painting. Just be aware of this when getting rid of paintings.

I will continue to destroying sketches and fully finished paintings, saving a select few of my favorites. At a certain point, there is only so much room to store work anyway.

Take a break from art if you need to, you may miss it after a break. Destroy a few paintings if you want, but don't destroy it all.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2017, 07:31 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Don't do it.

I didn't destroy all my art but I did get burned out and get rid of almost all my supplies, which only resulted a few years later in having to replace everything. It was very frustrating and took a long time to get caught up again.

Store your art, don't destroy it. If you aren't satisfied with it now, you may change your mind later.

I've found pieces I thought were my best that were flawed and overdetailed - and in the same stack found things that were fabulous, far better than anything else I'd done at the time. But seemed unfinished because something I learned in between hadn't been done. Or they were perfect but I hadn't realized it because they looked weird compared to what I was used to.

You can't accurately judge which of your pieces are good or not. It's better to cultivate an idea like "I paint better than I used to and not as well as I will" and then focus on enjoying it. Without enjoying the process, it's not going to turn out well. It just doesn't.

So step back from the heap and bury it in a nice archival box, put supplies away and do something else for a while. Take classes or do sketches or take up music or photography. I had to actually stop for several years once but oddly when I came back, I'd improved as much as if I'd been sketching all that time.

It's also good sometimes to back up and do just easy stuff, sketches of familiar easy subjects, planning sketches, whatever comes easy. Crafts that are more craft than art. Something to take the pressure off.

This is a mood, and if you give into it and destroy your art as valueless, you'll come to regret that later.

Even IF everything you've done is no good compared to your later work, keeping it means you can see your progress. Date it and put it away. It cheers me up to see how much I've learned by looking back at older works.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States

I put supplies and work away in the past for months and sometimes decades at a time. I never threw anything away. When I picked back up, I still had everything, I'm very glad I never destroyed any of my work and kept all my supplies. I had most of my finished/unfinished works, most of my paint, canvas, brushes, paper, pencils/pastels and mediums sitting in my cellar for 30 years, untouched. Most of it hasn't been manufactured for many years or decades anymore.