WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Pen and Ink Help Desk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 AM
MN., USA

Hails from United States
Re: How to Produce (and Sell) Prints of your Artwork

Mudslinger.. this is an excellent question! I am having this very dilemma right now! My original left VERY little paper for the margins (oops!) But I would think you could definitely make prints on larger paper and still retain the same mat/opening size.

Jodie

See more of my work at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artis...1321393?ref=hl
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Washington State

Hails from United States

Dave,
I think I goofed. I took 4 of my pieces to a local printer yesterday to have prints made. I asked for laser color copy, and he told me we couldn't do that because the original wasn't on white paper (it's natural white) Then he was telling me the images were not dark enough, he'd probably lose some of the dots. I have made cards of all 4 of these, and they worked fine with my Dell scanner and printer. In fact, I had printed one on watercolor paper and it was excellent. The first copy he brought (to check the sizing) was so pale I asked if that was a zerox copy, and he told me it was a laser. Then I asked about the ink, and he said the laser copier doesn't use ink, it's a toner. It was so bright in there (big sunny window, I couldn't see clearly) but when I got out, I was so disappointed, they are useless. I realised they weren't what I wanted when the price was only $12 (luckily that's all I wasted!) And I guess I should have know it wasn't right when he quoted a price for "this paper this is on" - which was standard copy paper. Please tell me I just got a creep for a printer, and somewhere else would work? I was so nervous about having this done and putting my artwork out there, this was my first attempt, and then to have this happen............!

( (Not so happy) HappyAppy
Smoki
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Washington State

Hails from United States

Oops, I was thinking about checking out some of Ranger Dan's wip's, sorry about the mistake on the name, Dave!
smoki
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast
East coast of Virginia

Hails from United States

What an excellent thread. I can't believe it's free. I would have bought information like this. Thanks
Scott
www.scottdtillett.com

#65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Chicago, IL

Hails from United States

Here I am, saying what I feel is the best source of information, for jumpstarting a career.
You are a very generous human.

Thank you,
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2007, 08:23 AM
bethlehem pa

Hails from United States

Dave, I read this wonderful info a while back. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge of print making. Some time soon I hope to spend a bit of time bouncing these ideas around. Take care.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Gurgaon, India

Hails from India

Thank you very much for sharing such valuable information.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 PM
California

Hails from United States

Great information. I applaud you on the time and effort you put into the article.
Thank you very much.
Be as one with the wilderness...and see your soul
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Hi Guys! I'm back! Sorry I was gone for a while... I ran out to the store for milk and got lost. (I should've taken a left at Albequrque - darn)

Greg & Mud - Yeah... 2009 is a good esimate for the framing/architectural tutorials, but I'll see if I can speed it up for you guys!

and Mud - Regarding your question about centering the drawing... I always start on a board that's much larger than my drawing. My Church Steeple drawing wound up being 7 x 10 and when I drew it I started approximately in the center of a 15 x 20 board. I do this for 2 reasons... I don't have to take the time to center it perfectly because I trim it down after the drawing is complete, leaving a nice 2" border around the drawing. Another benefit of this is having crisp clean edges after I trim it. If you start on an 11 x 14 board, and finish with an 11 x 14 board, I can almost guarantee you that the edges will be dirty-ish and dinged up a bit.

However, if you haven't done this and left yourself with no border.. you can center your image on the print when you have them done. If you wanted to, you could put a 5x7 image centered on a 20x24 print size (don't do that, it's just an exaggerated example)

Justin - Thanks for your input on scanning vs photographing. I completely agree with you!

Jodie - See my response to Mud (above).

Smoki - I really owe you an apology, because I felt as if I left you hanging. I'm sorry to hear about your dilema at the printers, but regarding your comment "this was my first attempt, and then to have this happen!" - Firstly, attempts are all about learning. If he said your work is too light for him to print, then go a bit darker next time. Or use whiter paper... or just do it yourself on your home printer. My printing company isn't perfect and there have been times when they couldn't give me the quality I was after. So, I found another way. This past Christmas I did colored photos for my family. The printing company couldn't give me what my PC printer could, so I did them at home. Producing prints isn't an exact science, and you must adapt and evolve... but don't give up!

Scott , Nancy , Kevin, Ujwala & Dean - Thank you all for your comments. I certainly hope this article has helped you.

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 12:29 PM
NY

Hails from United States

Forgive me if this has already been covered - I searched the thread, but didn't read through everything to make sure.

There are some new websites where you can upload your digital image and have prints made to order at no initial cost to the artist. You decide what % of a markup you want for each print and printing quality choice.

You have a link on your site, your customer clicks and ends up on your gallery page at one of these sites, chooses the image, the paper/ink/canvas quality, and at Image Kind you can actually have it matted and custom framed. They pay for the print and the shipping. You get the net profit after the cost of the print has been deducted by the site.

http://finerworks.com/
and
http://www.imagekind.com/default.aspx
I sent in a digital image from my camera to ImageKind and had a proof sent to me. It was not the best detail, but I know now that it was because of the image I uploaded. It was very well packaged and arrived on time.

My plan now, is to have my paintings scanned, ($25 per each 11x17 scan - does this sound legit?) And upload the fixed images to one of these sites.

In my mind, it's a good place to start because I certainly don't have the means to have prints made otherwise.

Is this a good plan? What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Rebecca
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Rebecca, Thanks for your post and the information. This type of "print producing" was mentioned somewhere in the article, but not in great detail. This is an example of what new technology brings to the table, and goes hand-in-hand with local printing companies, but for those who don't have any companies in their area. BTW - this can also be done on www.cafepress.com (one of WCs sponsors). I've also used another site, www.prodigitalphotos.com, to have slides done of my scans when I enter juried shows, but I've never had prints done through them.

You have indeed reitterated what I mentioned earlier..... use the method that what works for you and your prospective clients/customers.

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 PM
new jersey

Hails from United States

Dave, no wonder it took so long to put this together this, is awsome and very helpful.

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Thanks, Bob! I appreciate your comments.

btw - Stacy is doing very well in my class. She's a real natural with ink!

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2007, 11:57 PM

Thank you for the insightful article. As a gallery worker, however, I need to note that AP's are not called AP's, just because an artist decides so without any particular reason. A woman at the framer's you talked to was misinformed, thinking that there's so much fraud going on. When, if fact, in the art world, everything must be legal, there are Authenticity Certificates which explain how exactly that copy is made and what makes it so special. I agree with you, that it is a very good idea to start out with open editions for your artwork. With time though, pick a favorite image and print it as a Limited Edition, starting out with a very large edition of a 1000 to 5000 if you wish. I think you can guess why, the people will be driven to your "special" prints simply because there's a timely issue of being in a circle of art collectors which the artist has chosen as "favorite" and that adds to its value, its "must have" index. Not only that, but have the same LE printed in different sizes, providing your customers with options(if they already have large prints of yours, having a couple more small will have its appeal to people w limited wall space), from really large to really small. Again, they can be a really large LE's. And then, select only a certain number to become AP's(usually, a lowest edition and the largest or mid sized prints) which you will personally hand-highlight -- and THAT is what will make them special.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Northern Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thank You very informative.