WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2016, 02:15 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kansas

Hails from United States
Re: The cheap watercolour set challenge!!

Oh... she bought THIRTY TWO colors for under USD 4.61 ! Now I'm feeling really inadaquate. Eh !
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2016, 05:06 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfrommerriam
Oh... she bought THIRTY TWO colors for under USD 4.61 ! Now I'm feeling really inadaquate. Eh !

I think is time for you to buy a cheap watercolour set and join the challenge..

Com' on .. Who's next??
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2016, 08:02 PM
WC! Guide
Henderson, Nevada, USA

Hails from New Zealand

Me! Me! I bought 2 cheap sets from Amazon that will arrive tomorrow! I've started a color chart and simple painting using the W&N 12-pan set I already have and will work on the comparison color charts and paintings tomorrow afternoon or Monday. A very fun challenge!

Kate

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

...okay I accept the challenge.
Here is a set I bought for USD 1.96 plus tax at Walmart.

The paint was very hard and I soaked it with water overnight. Then it was nice and I proceeded with painting using it ...and here is how ugly it eventually got...

...when I took it to the lake and did a quick, (35-40 minute) plein-air with it. I drew some people getting kayacking lessons. By the time I'd started painting they had picked up the boats and walked out of my view... so I just winged it.

As has been commented before this particular watercolor paint dries with a glossy surface... however I rather like it. The paper as before, some really odd, cheap stuff from Walmart, 140CP, 12 inches square.

So ? Dave
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast

This thread has got me utterly convinced that it's so little to do with the paint, brush, etc. and everything to do with the painter, experience and practice!!! I can't believe how good all the entries are in this challenge. Bravo to everyone and to Marielena for starting it.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 02:56 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Wow!!! Great sketch, bright and spontaneous! Bravo!!

I like the way these colours blended on the two guys clothes! This seems like a strongly pigmented watercolor set. And for sure by far better that the one that I tested.

I don't think also that the glossy finish changes something on the sketch.. It looks fine to me..

Well done!

Who's next??? !!! This challenge keeps on..

ETA: Kiwikate of course!

Last edited by MarialenaS : 09-04-2016 at 03:09 PM.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Kate! Kate! Go, Kate!

Dave, that is the same set as mine, with fewer colors. Lovely work with it, I'd have never thought it was kid paint in a million years. Your improvised kyakers look great to me!

I am sure the paint is formulated to work on the kind of random paper kids get to paint on - something ripped off from the desktop printer, or newsprint, or worse. Glossiness aside the Crayola set is good strong colorful paint, that is for sure. Once it's melted enough you'll have no trouble getting some vibrant color on whatever paper is at hand.

This opened my eyes too. Everyone's work is fabulous! I would have expected the paint to be simply difficult to handle, either chalky or weak or unpleasant hues. What a surprise that for the most part, it isn't. Other than a little more work to scrub it out of the pan, it didn't feel much different than my regular kit in actual use.

Again not planning to switch from artist grade to kiddy paint, but nice to know it can get the job done in a pinch.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2016, 03:06 PM
WC! Guide
Henderson, Nevada, USA

Hails from New Zealand

Here's the beginning of my cheap watercolor experiment! I ordered two sets from Amazon (each cost $4 or thereabouts) and they arrived yesterday. The Prang set has eight colors and a small synthetic brush. The Art Advantage was supposed to come with two small, interlocking round pan trays with six colors in each, but the package was torn and one of the pan trays was missing! The palette it came with is about 6" across. But I decided just to proceed with what I had and compare them to the small Winsor & Newton set I use for traveling.

The color chart was done on Arches 140lb CP and while the W&N colors are more intense, I was surprised to see that the Prang colors are pretty vibrant. The comparable Art Advantage colors were much more transparent.

I started a couple of almost identical paintings yesterday using the W&N and Prang sets and will finish them today. I'm trying some wet on wet, lifting and salt just to see how the different paints behave. I'm not going to bother with the Art Advantage set since the color choices are so limited.

Thanks for starting this thread Marialena -- I'm having fun with it!

Kate

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2016, 04:56 PM
WC! Guide
Henderson, Nevada, USA

Hails from New Zealand

OK -- so here are my two paintings (very sloppy) to compare the Winsor & Newton paints with the cheap Prang ones. Both were painted on pretty cheap Canson Aquarelle 140lb CP paper. I tried lifting, salt sprinkling and wet-on-wet on both and you can see the results.

Winsor & Newton

Prang

In real life, the W&N version is the more vibrant of the two, but with more glazing, I think I could have upped the vitality of the Prang version. I found that the salt definitely worked better and in more interesting ways on the W&N. Lifting was also easier on the W&N version but not impossible on the Prang paint.

I'm surprised that the cheap paint worked reasonably well and could see using it in a pinch. Thanks for the challenge Marialena!

Kate

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2016, 08:49 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

The first one is more bright but the second one is more playful. Both look lovely and you are very skilful painter.

Bravo!!

Who's next?? Com'on .. Join and have fun!!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2016, 10:12 PM
WC! Guide
Henderson, Nevada, USA

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks for the nice comments Marialena. I enjoyed the exercise and learned a lot! Looking forward to seeing more contributions. Come on people, join in!

Kate

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 01:13 AM
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Bravo Kate! Though in this case I have to say the WN paint won the day for me. Still a masterful effort with the Prang paint though.

I have to say the industry's obsession with washable paint is a little disappointing. I realize it's dollars and cents, and it's what parents want so it's not going to change. So be it. Just sorry that kids no longer get the thrill of being trusted with something that requires care, like art supplies that stain.

Of course, you're talking to the kid who got impatient and poured her own thinner to use with an oil paint-by-number. The paint thinner can was empty, but I saw l-a-c-q-u-e-r thinner… lac… quer? Well, who cares it's thinner, ought to work, right?

This I took into the house and sat at the kitchen table, next to the open pilot light on the stove. Fortunately my Dad found out and he exploded before the house did!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 05:45 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntada
Bravo Kate! Though in this case I have to say the WN paint won the day for me. Still a masterful effort with the Prang paint though.

Expected I suppose by the time that the first set probably costs 20 times higher than the second one.

Let me remind you please that this thread is not a thread forcomparison between more expensive vs cheaper watercolour sets.
It is a fun thread where we paint exclusively with watercolour sets that cost less than 5 euros/dollars/pounds.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Wow... those are beautiful pieces. Just very nicely done !!!

Dave
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2016, 01:22 AM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Great thread, Marialena and it's great to see such enthusiasm from everyone! Lovely sketches, all!

I didn't have a cheapo set, unless I counted the Camel Artists Watercolour tubes that I got from India at roughly 1 dollar for a 20 ml tube. Those are artist grade paints, so not countable here.

And thus I picked up this cheapo 'paint set' (with no other name!) from Kmart this morning for AUD 2.00:

It opens out in multiple layers, and had 24 lovely, chalky, pastel-like, abysmal-quality paints arranged in four layers:

I made a quick drawing on my small Arches pad to test the paints:

I used nearly all of those colours in the first, very wet, wash. To my surprise, the paints were very inert and most of them didn't diffuse at all, even while the paper was totally wet. And they were weak to say the least. See how the paints remained where I lay them down...

... eveh when the paper was still wet:

I let the wash dry completely and then quickly finished the sketch:

The finished sketch:

It was a very interesting and informative exercise, painting with these chalky, weak and inert paints. I now have a renewed respect for my artist grade paints

Cheers
Jay