WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2016, 10:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: The cheap watercolour set challenge!!

American bison - keeping with the western theme...Prang with a bamboo brush. I also have an old black metal box Prang set that has never been used. It is a nostalgia thing. I had trouble with colors running into each other even after an area was dry. It was fun though!!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2016, 06:56 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

FANTASTIC! I can't see any problem with the runny colours anywhere. This is great!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2016, 09:35 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Ooooh, lovely paintings, all of you! I'll have another to post tonight as well.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2016, 11:09 PM
Kolkata

Hails from India

I'm sorry! I tried to paint today with freshly squeezed locally available tube colors (Camel artist colors @ 75 cents/20ml tube; their student color is all chalk so did not try that). I tried on bad (1.5 cent/quarter sheet) and good (50 cent/quarter sheet) paper. Both faded so horribly on drying, compared to my own colors, that I'm too embarrassed to put them up here. (I couldn't even finish the one on the better paper, it looked so drab)

I don't think I can honestly recommend student grade paints to anybody, not anymore.

OTOH, lots of big name artists here use those same tubes, so maybe I really really don't know what I'm doing....... or maybe watercolors are supposed to look drab.....?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2016, 11:56 PM
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

OK I have continued pursuing my Prang PhD.

Many of my paintings are limited palette sketches, and tend to green/gray/brown because that's the dominant color of the places I paint. I'll often do a painting with just a blue, an earth, and green(s) with no other pigments. So, let's put Prang to that test! I wanted to see how these bright primaries do when mixed down to neutrals.

At top: stone blocks and palm trunks. Blue and orange were mixed on the paper to create the blocks, and red/green combined for the palm trunk. The trunks are a nearly neutral grayish brown in real life, so they don't need a lot hue. I mixed them on the paper to start, then followed up with a denser wash mixed on the palette. Green, yellow, blue for the decorative grasses. At bottom is a nearly-monochrome study with the set's black paint.

So! The blue and orange do make a decent neutral, as noted before. It blends nicely on Garza Papel and leaves a little "sparkle" of hues. The red/green surprised me again: it's actually not to hard to get a realistic trunk color. I have given up mixing other red/green combos looking for a gray, all I ever get is greenish red or reddish green and end up with enough ugly paint to paint my walls in watercolor. So, that was nice! What I did NOT like about this paint combo, is that it did seem hard to get the color dense enough for the strong shadows. The afternoon sun us what makes this little scene interesting, and I thought it was a lost cause to get it dark enough. I mixed it on the palette with as little water as possible, applied to dry paper - success!

The shoe was a quick doodle to see how the black does for a monochrome study. (Note: I have big 'ol grownup feet. This ended up looking like a little girl's shoe though! ) So, the black parts of the shoe are pure black paint. The ground has a little blue floated in, and the inside of the shoe is yellow, brown, and blue in various proportions. (The shadow inside is a mixed brown, not the pan brown.) I was right, it is a nice black for a monochrome study. It has a little drying shift (lighter) in the tints, and remains an inky dense black when applied in masstone.

Just for grins, here is a version of the blocks painted with UMB/burnt sienna, Green Apatite, Jadeite, and PY129. A little raw umber in the palm trunks as well. It's the same spot as above, a detail from a larger painting. I moved the trunk in that painting for composition's sake, so this is slightly different even though it's the same view.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2016, 05:09 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Hm hm... If I told you my dear alter-ego that the shadows on the blocks that you've painted with the prangs look more natural than the shadows of the painting that you've made with the artist's paints, would you kill me on spot or not??

The opposite applies of course on the palm tree.

The shoe looks like real!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2016, 05:23 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraneel
I'm sorry! I tried to paint today with freshly squeezed locally available tube colors (Camel artist colors @ 75 cents/20ml tube; their student color is all chalk so did not try that). I tried on bad (1.5 cent/quarter sheet) and good (50 cent/quarter sheet) paper. Both faded so horribly on drying, compared to my own colors, that I'm too embarrassed to put them up here. (I couldn't even finish the one on the better paper, it looked so drab)

I don't think I can honestly recommend student grade paints to anybody, not anymore.

OTOH, lots of big name artists here use those same tubes, so maybe I really really don't know what I'm doing....... or maybe watercolors are supposed to look drab.....?

Post them please.. This thread is a game and not some sort of competition about the best painting or sketch ( no matter if some works might turn out to look good). So all sort of drab or horrible sketches or paintings are acceptable and any critiques are given here are done by keeping in mind the limitations of the game's rules.

If we paint with the cheaper paints the works might turn out to look crap.. It is expected by the time that these are the rules of the game.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2016, 05:25 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

I'm lurking to grub Nicholas paints... MWAHA HA HA HAAAA
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2016, 05:30 AM
Colorado

Hails from United States

This was one of my fist watercolor paintings. It was from a photograph of my mom when she was young and I was using Prang and cheap Canson paper. I really liked the Prang set, but after I did a lightfast test I knew I needed to go to artist grade paints if I wanted to display my work.

Jan

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2016, 05:42 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

@ Janinco Wow!!! Great..

@allLet me make clear something. The point of the thread is not to advertise cheap paints but it is to challenge those who want to be challenged to paint with whatever watercolour available.
To put ourselves to an imaginary and improbable scenario that all artist's paints disappeared from market or something similar.. would this stop us from painting or we would try to get the best from what would be available?
Do we accept the challenge or not!

So... there is no need to give any excuses if the paintings or sketches are not that good, neither keep on repeating that something would look better or would be more lightfast if was done with better materials. Of course it would but this is an ascertainment for the Learning Zone and not for this thread.

This thread is a free of guilt zone. Post whatever you've made and don't feel obliged to give excuses . If you like to make a review or say some things about the materials you used you are free to do so as well.

If you don't it doesn't matter that much either.

Challenge and free yourself.. ( that could be the alternative thread tittle)
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Colorado

Hails from United States

Here are a couple more of my early paintings. The St Bernard was Prang watercolors and 120 lb paper which buckled - I didn't know how to flatten it. The second two were done with a little set by Artists Loft from Hobby Lobby (which I found out was made by Loew Cornelle) on 140 lb Strathmore watercolor block. Sometimes I think my earlier paintings were more spontaneous before I started analyzing so much (and worrying about wasting expensive materials).

Jan

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

The Prang colors i think are very usable but they are made for mom's to be able to wash out of kids' clothes...there lies my issue with it spreading when it got wet. Maybe some other student paints are more permanent. It would be interesting to know other's experiences with different paints.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Colorado

Hails from United States

This is the Artist Loft/Loew Cornelle set:

Many of the reds, yellows and purples in the cheaper sets are dyes, not pigments, which is why they fade. But they seem to do fairly well in sketchbooks.

The Prang set is very creamy and easy to moisten, which probably means quite a bit of glycerin. It's very nice to work with. Too bad you don't have that brand in Europe.

Jan
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2016, 03:29 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

@Jan All sketches look great though the one with the baby is by far the best.
The Loew Cornelle look just fine and give nice results. If the paints are not exposed to light and the sketches are made inside sketchbooks there are no fading issues.
Indeed the easy moisten watercolours probably contain a lot of glycerine or other jelly binder.

I'm waiting a sketch to dry and I'll be back in a while with another watercolour set that is of the semi moisture kind, ( similar with the prangs but lower quality) and you'll see what is the issue with the jelly like binder.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2016, 04:25 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Back and ready to show you another watercolour set and another sketch.
Today I bought this Carioca watercolour set to try it and then gift it to my nephew because, according to what his mother told me, he made his watercolour set a... soup!

Anyway.. I bought him this one that is of the semi moisture kind and cost me 2 euros at the neighbourhood’s paper store.

Here is how it looks like opened.

Anyway I made a swatch on Fabriano Artistic paper to see what is all about .

This paints are very weak and lightly pigmented, mixed with a jelly like milky somehow binder that makes them stand on the surface of any paper that has even the slightest sizing.

When I realized what was coming I changed my approach.
I picked up a piece of Conqueror Connoisseur paper, that is a 100% cotton printing paper and completely without sizing andI made there my sketch, a teacup from the RIL.. The colours worked nicely as the paper absorbed them. This had as consequence a lot of staining but this doesn't bother me at all.

As it was expected I needed more layers in order to achieve a decent colour density, but the final result turned out to be not that bad, thanks to the unsized paper of course.

Here is my teacup sketch. It took me about half an hour to make it, almost one hour to dry..