WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art > Current Projects in the Classical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2016, 03:46 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland
Re: Cafe Michaelangelo ~April 2016~

Mmm you can use pastels with beeswax too...but no idea how that goes as yet. You can use brushes to lay on wax and you can put wax on paper OK but it tends to buckle ... the paper can be straightened by gluing to a rigid support...thicker paper, wood, etc. Many painters using encaustic colours use wooden panels. I have only dipped a little toe into the wax, so to speak, so I cant give much advice. If you want to try it you can melt childrens wax crayons to get a feel for if you'd like to do more...

Robin, as for internal artstuff...I really have no idea where I am going a lot of the time. It started out that I wanted to be imaginative or intuitive in order to get away from a very ordered thinking background in social sciences. That's the main reason I don't do realism much. But I switch back and forth, or dilly and dally, between the 2: realism and imagination.

Often I wish I 'knew' what I was doing or where I was going with the art, but maybe it would be better to see it as an adventure into the unknown...rather than trying to tie it down (as the scientist side of me would love me to do).

Have a great May holiday folks!!
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2016, 08:46 AM
A Local Legend

Cool tips June!
Keeping this (little toe advice) lol, cute.
Can't wait to see what you do!

Interesting to read about everyone's creative process.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2016, 09:39 AM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

wow..this has been a wonderful month of interesting, clever ideas,
and art !

all those little pastels nickel...whoa..i never knew you had to take
off the paper and break them

robin..do you then add photos or more art onto the mandellas?..
i have a zentengle book..but have not much fooled with it..though i do love designs! I see where some put the designs into animals and people..i might try something like that..
i believe june intermingles design with her art too!

heres a little mini frog i did 2.5x3.5 ...mech pencil..tiny mini sketchbook.
he's a little wonky but i liked the texture and his wonky smile
Hi janet and brian and all lurkers !

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2016, 04:31 PM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Lovely smiling frog!!
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2016, 06:58 PM
A Local Legend

Susan,I love your frog's smile too!
I do believe your frog is up to something! lol!

About the reason to take the papers off the pastel is so you can use both the sides as well as the ends to make either bold or thinner strokes.

I think the reason to break them, is to make them seem less like precious sticks of colors that are admired for their beauty and more like the tool they really are to create art.

And I think only the whole sticks that are extruded are broken rather than hand made pastel.

Now after all that, that's what I think I understand. Somebody that really knows pastel may differ.

Still planning on only using them outside.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2016, 02:46 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

I had a request from Lisa to redo the surreal art thread and so I will start a surrealism thread for may 2016. Hope you all will join in!