WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art > Current Projects in the Classical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2016, 07:21 AM
Immortalized
north carolina

Re: Cafe Michaelangelo ~April 2016~

Hi ya’ll -

Susan - AWESOME croc. photo!!!! I just gotta paint/draw it ….over and over! I was just thinking about doing a study of them too….sweet.

Brian - wonderful charcoals….definitely can see you are in your zone……your joy and desire in this endeavor really shows up!!

Nickel - ahhh, a bored time is an incubation time , something new on the horizon. LOL with the puppy antics. My daughter put a pink bead up her nose when she was in 2 grade. The nurse sent her home and told me to take her to the doctor. I sat her down and we talked about blowing it out…….she cried and the snot helped lubricate the bead and blew .. out it came….. I painted a picture of her with a pink bead up her nose in a art journal book I sent off in a journal circle group and never got the journal back. so it goes.
I hope you find something to help your boredom…….in this state, though , sometimes just a tiny teensy weensey effort will carry you right into the zone. And, you are right, new art toys helps too.

June - awww, you two are in it together for sure. My Knobbie is part long haired chiuaua and she has barespots she is constantly spitting on. It is a common affliction in some small breeds. She is the sweetest ever. I’m excited to see your encaustic adventure.

Janet - HI HO thar gurl!!!! Hope you are enjoying some spring fresh air, song birds, and cups of tea by a sunny window. Luv ya.

When we came back from the March trip I realized I have two interior (on the wall ) projects half started , plus all the baseboards hubby put in are raw , unpainted. So, I’ve wanted to do mandalas all over the small back bathroom and here is the first one. Today I hope to paint the background color on the walls before I continue further. This is a learning experience.
I painted the mandala and despised it for about two weeks and then started playing with it………voila…….not too bad.

http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 AM
Immortalized
north carolina

wow, we have had good communications this month!!!! HAPPY, HAPPY!!!!
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 AM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

robin how stunning ...these are fascinating to me..questions..do they
have to be equal in design on both sides? how do you design colour and arrangement??? tyree
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2016, 11:04 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

That is a wonderful Mandala design. How lovely to have painted doors like this.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2016, 11:10 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Here's the wax workshop book which came this morning. There are enough techniques to keep me busy until Christmas!!

Here's a couple of my previous beexwax collage efforts. I like doing collage with beeswax.

And a charcoal and watercolour doodle with a glaze of beeswax, done this afternoon just to try it.

I cannot get the beeswax to sit in a uniform level glaze. Maybe it takes a lot of practise!!

#51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Robin, you could advertise to paint mandalas on doors for folks maybe? Some income?
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2016, 12:34 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

oooh June..this looks like fun..love the Egyptian piece ! tyree
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2016, 05:52 PM
A Local Legend

Hi Susan, maybe next month we can do pets for a project? And Derby Day, May 7th, horse race for all you that may wonder about it? https://www.kentuckyderby.com/ Maybe a one day draw/paint project for next week????

Robin, Man I really would be upset loosing a journal in an exchange. That's a real booger! I guess that's a gamble we take but it hurts I'm sure. I'm glad the bead worked it's way out. Things worked out here but it was scary for him cause he was worried and his question was if the dr would cut off his nose. Poor fellow.
I spent the afternoon unwrapping and breaking pastels sticks. All the time thinking what did I get myself into? According to what I've read you have to do this and get working. I can understand now why the pastel companies are selling sticks without papers. It's a real pain. My fingertip skin is very dry from doing this. Like all the moisture has been sucked out from handling the pastel. I'm not a big glove person either.

These are the one's I just bought,

Really what got me started thinking about them was having some old boxes from my aunt 's estate laying around here. Guess I've not written pastel off yet but it has a big negative like framing with glass compared to not needing glass with oils.

(aunt's pastels)

Enough about that, I've got some beeswax that I've had in the window for awhile waiting for the sun to bleach it. Planning to use it in a painting medium. If I were to grate or shave the beeswax it would bleach faster.

I am happy to watch you June explore encaustic.

June, Here's a video I found very intriguing for working with wax and paper.
Let us know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVwDLAUQbh4

Going to a May Day party tomorrow. May is getting here fast!

It's really nice after all this time to know you all are still out there working, growing and encouraging each other and me.

Glad Toby is feeling better.

Love your mandala Robin. Your home is a work of art!

Brian, your drawings have a mood about them in the way you express the charcoal. They make a bold statement!
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2016, 10:02 AM
A Local Legend

This guy, Roger Dellar has some real nice paintings in pastel. Sharing his interview here. http://unisoncolour.com/whats-new/la...h-roger-dellar
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2016, 10:54 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Those pastels look divine Nickel. I haven't tried pastels for years...I found them very drying on fingertips too and the dust always gave me a sore throat and dry nose....which is a pity as I do love them!!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

The waxing papers video is very good and inspiring. I watched that one a while ago and its one that induced me to try waxing!!

Nickel, are you going to use that lovely big lump of beeswax to do some encaustic painting etc.??
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Immortalized
north carolina

so neat to see what every one is doing………

June - the encaustic look really goes well with your style. and it will preserve the underpainting too…..enough so you don’t need glass?

Susan - I’ve been doing mandala’s every other day or so to unwind and try and be adverturous…..this one was free hand and unplanned. I borrowed the gold trumpets? layer from zentangle design…..The color palate is taken from another painting I did that is hanging on the opposite wall……but I did not realize that until after I’d started the colors and was worrying…..I turned and saw the painting and was immediately reassured and used it as a springboard palette .

I don’t worry about making everything equal…..you can do what every you like and after doing these a while , you find a rut and then must push yourself to go bold , new places in creativity…….it gets really fun and interesting at that point…..exhausting all your common desires to just doodle simply get satisfied too. ( I can draw spirals and other particular patterns for hours and not tire of it, and sometimes I do and then use the page for the background of a drawing or painting later.) So the color was so flat , it sickened me to look at it for 2 weeks until I decided to put some depth in with graduated colors…….I surprised myself and realized I could apply alot of technique I’ve been learning here in classical…..whatdoyaknow!
So much of my art is making a mistake and then discovering something that helps me see it all from a different angle…….So I don’t have alot of self confidence in my prowess but just persistance, and fearlessness……..expecially fearlessness.

Well, I’ve run on a bit here. I would LOVE to hear of some of you guyses internal art adventures…………I know you gottem cause you each make some great art!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Immortalized
north carolina

Nickel - wow, that's alot of pastell....Jo Castillo ( i know her from Scavenger hunt sketch challenges here on WetCanvas) is a wonderful pastel artist. I love the way it looks but I am not the least bit interested. My mom worked with pastels though and made some beautiful desert scenes.....I don't know what became of them though....What brought you into trying this? Any particular influence? Looking at those colored hunks is exciting, eh

Hi Brian,

Hi Janet
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2016, 04:59 PM
A Local Legend

I wish I knew what exactly made me want to try pastels. If there was really any one thing I just don't remember. I've had my aunt's pastels for years and haven't used them. THanks Robin, I'll have to look up Jo and see her art for sure.

When I made the marble paper I used some of the pastels. The reason I bought the darks I kept reading you need darks. Someday (estate sale) some people will have a good time going through all the art supplies I've stocked over the years. It's always good to buy when you can and put up for a future day. Prices increase all the time. Don't we all know that.

June,I've never tried encaustic. WHat kind of support do you need? Brushes?

I just got back from the May Day party. It was hot but enjoyable. Now I've got a house full of kids for the weekend. We've got ice cream and Bell has kids to chew on.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2016, 05:06 PM
A Local Legend

Here's some more pictures of pastels.

Some of these I got from the swap shop.

These were my aunts.

Here I'm trying to sort out colors.

Sure hope everyone has a lovely weekend!