WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2015, 12:47 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The Spotlight - October 2015 - Shape

Angela, good changes. I like the dark background better. Did your red apple get flattened somewhat in the reworking? I've seen them that shape, don't know if that's intentional. Like the deep darks of its shadows.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2015, 07:35 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

You are all waay ahead of me again this month but I have at least made a start on this. Well done everyone you have once again set a high bar. Too many for me to catch up with.

this is on a scrap of sanded Uart, approx. 6" X 7" so small.

Still a long way to go and shapes need some refining.

C & c's always welcome
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 03:55 AM
Near Reading, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Great start, Jen! I like the modelling on the mug. Can't wait to see the bananas, your drawing of them is really good.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 07:46 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jen, this really works! Love the modelling on jug and mug, apple looks good, tablecloth great, bananas will rock when you've done them. Interesting, love how you not only included everything but moved outward from it to give more space around the setup - that really worked!

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 07:49 AM

Thanks Robert, the shape of the red apple did change towards the end. I didn't have the reference photo open anymore and probably should have.

Jen its going well, your colours are really popping off that subtle background

Looking at mine again today, it doesn't feel finished anymore and I want to fix things. I wish I knew when to keep trying and when to put things away and try again or move on.

Angela
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 03:40 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Sarah, Robertand Angela many thanks for the kind words. Hopefully the bananas will turn out okay!

C & c's always welcome
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Whoa, Jen, like Robert said, your still life REALLY works! I like the slightly off-kilter shapes. The fact that it's so boldly and deftly drawn, make them work, as well as the spot-on color.

Angela, great job on these! Of course Don has snuck in some of the most difficult things to draw, perspective on the table, round objects that need just the right amount of modeling, an ellipse (AHHH). Very difficult, but you're doing really well with them all!

Hollyhocks? Is that what they are? I thought they were hibiscus. In the "sketch" I did, it doesn't much matter, as they don't even look like flowers! And "in my defense" as Blayne said earlier (which none of us should say, because there's no need to defend ourselves...but we do it anyway), I was working for the first time on Canson Touch, which I'm not liking very much. And, a dark ground, which I also don't like very much. But without further ado...Kris' Massacred Hollyhocks a la Don.

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 05:27 PM
Immortalized

Jen, that's looking great! As Kris said, the bold drawing is so well done and I like that you've left some of the lines visible. I'm looking forward to the finish!

Kris, your "massacred hollyhocks" are lovely! Your use of color is just stunning, and this is one to frame! (Certainly no defense needed for this! ) How timely that Nick posted a thread in the Talk section yesterday, I believe, about abstract painting, and Don commented (and I'm paraphrasing here) that some abstract artists seemed to gradually progress from representational to non-representational art. I think your painting is a wonderful example that straddles the line between the two. It is recognizably a flower but works equally well as an abstract painting. It is a strong compositional design and a wonderful explosion of color that one can just enjoy without it having to "be something".

Edit: Oops, Kris, I just looked at that thread and see that you commented there and said that you are moving toward more abstraction! This painting really exemplifies that in a beautiful way!

Last edited by Blayne : 10-11-2015 at 05:32 PM.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Lewes, Delaware

Hails from United States

Here is my attempt at the blackeyed susans. This is on gray mi tientes with pans and senneliers. Approx 5x7.
C&C always welcome.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 07:41 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Kris, I love that! Your hollyhocks are spectacular, not slaughtered! They are wonderful. Love the vibrant abstracted shapes, rich colors, strong darks and brights, this painting is so beautiful. Not slaughtered at all.

Norma, your flowers are lovely and well formed. Love the hinted red ones behind them too, it's a beautiful garden vignette.

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Wow, thank you so much Blayne! I'm not very confident right now, as I can't paint more than a few times a month. I appreciate the encouragement very, very much!

Good job with the black-eyed Susans Norma! I love the way the bright yellow sort of creeps up the stems and ends in a profusion of happy color!
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 09:06 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Kris thanks. Missed you around here. Sometimes the drawing works first time sometimes I can erase and erase. This time it worked! Hopefully I will be on the same roll when I get back to it! I really like the abstract quality of your flowers and he colour s wok to make a lovely panting.
Blaynethank you.
Norma nice work on the yellow flowers as Robert said the suggested bg flowers add depth to the whole. It is very easy to make those small flowers look rather pasted on but you have really given them boldness and presence while maintaining their simplicity.

C & c's always welcome
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 09:12 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Jen, Your still life is looking good! Looking forward to the finish!

Kris, Your flowers are wonderfully vibrant and yes, moving towards the abstract! Some nice shapes including those darks in the background and the vibrant blue, too!

Norma, Very nice flowers! And I like those soft background shapes, too!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 08:21 AM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Such beautiful work showing up!
Angela...I love your crop of the still-life. Your shapes and shadings are just right
Jen...Your jug just pops off the page. Can't wait to see the whole thing done...
Kris....beautiful hollyhocks....the painting feels almost abstract. I love it.
Norma...very impressive susans...I love the vibrancy

I've sort of come to a standstill, but hope to get back to painting again soon.
I really want to try the duck in the water...

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Near Reading, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Kris, I love your impressionistic hollyhocks. I really like the variety of bold marks you used!

Norma, your black-eyed susans are lovely. The cool green you used in the background contrasts so nicely with the warm yellow flowers.